T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 8:17am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post

I hope Marcus Jones wins next week would be nice to have a true heavyweight make it through to the next round.I think all of the winners so far are just light heavyweights who have "bulked" up.
    Matt's a true heavyweight at 6'5'' 275. If lost all his body fat he might be 250. Wes Shivers is a true heavyweight. Wes Sims is a true heavyweight. Brendan Schaub is a true heavyweight.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Matt's a true heavyweight at 6'5'' 275. If lost all his body fat he might be 250. Wes Shivers is a true heavyweight. Wes Sims is a true heavyweight. Brendan Schaub is a true heavyweight.
    I meant out of those who are in the quarterfinals.It looks to be almost even with true heavyweights and bulked up light heavyweights(in contradiction to what I first wrote).As for Matt I had no idea what he weighed in at (did they even show the weigh ins)

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:23am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    WTF is with Dana getting all exited about this ****, like it was Bonnar X Griffin?
    Putting on my Spin Doctor hat (with obligatory propeller attachment), he'd probably realized early into the season that gassing was going to be a huge problem with an all-heavyweight season and so he's just doing damage control with his reputation for being a "straight shooter" as collateral on the BS loan.

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:51am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Putting on my Spin Doctor hat (with obligatory propeller attachment), he'd probably realized early into the season that gassing was going to be a huge problem with an all-heavyweight season and so he's just doing damage control with his reputation for being a "straight shooter" as collateral on the BS loan.
    Didn't Dana say they were throwing bombs? WHAT BOMBS??? BOMBS CAN KNOCK YOU OUT!!! THE GUY HAD HIS HANDS DOWN, chin IN THE AIR, OPEN MOUTH. He took at least 5 SHOTS to the chin and didn't even get dazed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:54am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by inertia View Post
    I meant out of those who are in the quarterfinals.It looks to be almost even with true heavyweights and bulked up light heavyweights(in contradiction to what I first wrote).As for Matt I had no idea what he weighed in at (did they even show the weigh ins)
    no they didn't. i just know the guy, so I know his stats.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, in all fairness to Dana and his reputation as a straight shooter, there were some big punches thrown. Mitrione seemed close to finishing Junk a couple of times; certainly he put him on his butt several times early on.
    I wasn't trying to imply that it was a terrible fight. It wasn't great . . . . but I thought they outdid McSweeney's fight, for instance. I just thought it was amusing that Dana had to jump around and cuss about how great it was. It was such an amazing battle that it drove Dana White to forget his legendary composure and use profanity on national television!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:05pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    Didn't Dana say they were throwing bombs? WHAT BOMBS??? BOMBS CAN KNOCK YOU OUT!!! THE GUY HAD HIS HANDS DOWN, chin IN THE AIR, OPEN MOUTH. He took at least 5 SHOTS to the chin and didn't even get dazed!
    Finally, somone else noticed that, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one.. I personally feel that was the worst MMA fight I have ever seen in the UFC. the only redeeming factors of it are half of the first round. The kick catch adn then punch combo was executed decently but very quickly both fighters' punches starting literally flopping out. the hands down chin up mouth open thing was there but what really bothered me was the arm punches.

For professional fighters I thought thier standup was terrible. Especially junk considering he was actually a UFC vet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:54pm

Style: Kickboxing / MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was a brutal fight, how can anyone who has had a few fights and training on pads with a striking coach actually punch that badly? Secondly, how can anyone be a "professional" athlete and run out of gas mid way though the first round? Pathetic. It was disgrace and if I were either of those fighters I would spend more time on the treadmill and less time lounging around the pool.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 1:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meinmachine View Post
    ...how can anyone who has had a few fights and training on pads with a striking coach actually punch that badly? ...
    i would suspect that it has something to do with nerves and knowing that you will be shown on a nationally televised show with a ****-ton of viewers.

i mean, getting up and fighting full contact in front of a big crowd was enough to unnerve me and have me flailing around like a moron with no training, and that was just a local event.

never underestimate the effect of nerves.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 1:37pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meinmachine View Post
    if I were either of those fighters I would spend more time on the treadmill and less time lounging around the pool.
    Come to think of it, have we ever seen a fighter (in any season) swim laps in the pool? If I could actually swim, I'd have a swimming regimen while at the house to keep me a bit loose and warmed up at all times.

And I can't let this thread go by without mentioning that Wes Sims gave me a huge laugh with "the Gi." That man has some innate physical comedy abilities, being the only person I've ever seen properly perform the Looney Tunes "bad guy sneaking around" walk.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast