Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 12:11pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Don't wax semantically with me. I ain't in the mood for that enlightened nonsensical bullshit. Go talk in circles with someone else.
    See, now you've gone and lost it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 4:58pm

Style: Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 12:10am

Style: Christopher Hitchens-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    I trained Yudo for a year when I was living in Korea in '03-'04. My experience was that it was exactly the same as Judo but some of the terminology was Korean. The Korean terminology wasn't always consistent though and people frequently used both terms to refer to techniques.
    korean judo terminologies have been defined by KJA and pretty consistent. your experience might have been club specific. and what do you mean by people using 'both' terms? you mean the club you were at used both korean and japanese terms??? that would be quite rare, unless you had a bunch of Yongin graduates at the club, and again would be localized to your club.
    It's the same thing. The Koreans just don't like the Japanese and give everything a Korean name or pronunciation.
    hey Coach Josh, this kind of generalization ain't healthy, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    The throw shown is a Ssireum throw.
    Whether or not it is taught elsewhere deriving from Judo does not negate the cross-pollination of Ssireum techniques within Yudo.

i am not fully convinced of this.
    in ssireum, only belt grips are utilized. a ssireum guy would never give up a belt grip to get a neck grip. it could happen, if one loses the grip, but NO SSIREUM WRESTLER WILL RELINQUISH A GRIP UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TO GET A NON-BELT GRIP. he might let go briefly to get a different belt grip, but never to get a non-belt grip. it is just too risky to do so. ssireum wrestlers refer to the belt grip as the 'life line'.
    and there are major differences between the ssireum version and the judo version. in judo, and other wrestling sports, one hand would be on the collar/shoulder and the free hand will reach down deep into the crotch/thigh. (i'm trying to represent the most common form here. sukui is sometimes done in a way very similar to wrestling high-crotch, and sometimes with a lower leg grip, but i think people would agree that the first form i described is the most dominant form) In ssireum, the right hand will be on the waist and the left hand will be on the thigh grip. and left hand thigh grip is much shallower than how it would be done in judo. (for those who don't know, the belt used in ssireum is looped around your waist in a way that it provides the waist belt and also a loop around your right thigh) although the fundementals of both version are the same, the these differences are quite significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    It's te-guruma, a core pickup technique. It's hardly unique to Korean Yudo, even Judo at all for that matter. Crazy bastards, they really do think they invented everything.
    well, did you read my reply in the other thread about an argument i had with a greek about who invented everything?
    i know that you meant that as a joke, but i must point out that generalization isn't always fair. yes, there are many koreans who really do think that koreans invented 'everything'. there are even more koreans who really do think that koreans invented everything that is from japan. but even more koreans recognize that all that is sheer bullshit.
    generalization is great in the right context, but given the audience, it could be easily misconstrued. (no offence to the audience, but i doubt many of you have a reasonable knowledge in korean history and culture)
    Take the Khabarelli for example. Does it work? Yes. Essentially is a standing/flying sumi geashi. Now we know how to do that throw and can break it down and teach it because it falls into the parameters of a good technique. Is it for everyone? No. But almost anyone can do it. It's an obscure technique that used correctly will do the job.
    i disagree that khabarelli/obi tori ashi dori is essentially a standing/flying sumi gaeshi. 1st, sumi gaeshi isn't done with a pant grip, and it would be inadvisable to attempt sumi gaeshi with a pant grip. 2nd, khabarelli is NOT a sutemi waza, but a pick-up style throw. i do not believe you do this fantastic throw justice by saying it is essentially a standing/flying sumi gaeshi. i heard the most well respected poster in judoforum calling this throw, not a judo throw and against the principles of judo. ****.... there once was a time when all judo folks were cool in my books, but my short stay at judoforums changed that really fast.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74 View Post
    It seems to me that the grading structure was also more relaxed (or lax take your pick) with more of a BJJ mentality. If you were consistently competitive with other BBs both from within your school and with ones visiting from outside of your school you would get promoted to BB.
    you gotta remember that black belts are worth **** in korea. anyone can get a 'chodan' in korea. in judo at least, starting at around samdan, you are taken seriously, but a chodan? who gives a ****. i remember someone posting (can't remember if here or at judoforum) that in japan a judo shodan signifies, 'yes, i know my ukemi. you many throw me without worrying that i might hurt myself while falling' (don't quote me on it. can't remember the exact words, but it was close to this).
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    I also noticed a difference in entry & grips were different. I'm not sure what to make of that though? I guess it's the different flavor of Judo influenced by their country?.
    this could be club/instructor specific
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78 View Post
    Lastly, Japan still takes some actions as a nation to tick off their neighbors. Mainly with island controversies. Dokdo with South Korea, Sakhlain/Kuril with Russia, Daioyu with Taiwan.

this is not japan specific though. neighbouring nations are also warring nations. it's like that all over the world. nothing new or unique about trying to claim territories.
    Spam is Korean? Thought it was from the US?

we have claimed spam to be ours, and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
    You know what your right durowhateverthefuck is a Korean name unique to Korea. The throw however is not.

and i gotta say, this has to be one of the funniest posts i have seen in a while. it really had me rofling. durowhateverthefuck... josh, now you have to come up with a throw to match this name.
    Last edited by kenikim; 3/12/2010 12:18am at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    3/12/2010 10:14am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wrote a long post to explain myself but deleted it. Its not worth going over.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kwon Do, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yudo not Korean Judo?

In the Chuck Hardin thread there was a post by MTripp that links to several sites. He claims the Yudo is not Korean Judo and that infact the Koreans have both a National Yudo association and a National Judo association. This thread would seem to say that Yudo is just the Korean version of Judo. I am confused. Is Yudo the Korean version of Judo or not? Was it before?

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    6/27/2010 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its judo, just not as cheap or widely available

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the same thing. The Koreans just don't like the Japanese and give everything a Korean name or pronunciation.
    I agree 100 percent

:lurk::qright5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 9:25pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Der and coach josh

YouTube- Simultaneity - Albert Einstein and the Theory of Relativity

is this about right?

EDIT: fucking theard necro-ers.
    Last edited by The_Beak; 8/18/2010 9:30pm at .
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345