Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 11:47am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Spam is Korean? Thought it was from the US?
    No, but I'm going to have to clean my eyes with SPAM grease just to get the image of Rain's wardrobe from Full House out of my head. What the hell is wrong with South Korean fashion?

Seriously, why did you have to go there?

That's low, dude.

You know what your right durowhateverthefuck is a Korean name unique to Korea. The throw however is not.
    You're more than halfway there.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 5:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Der wants to say is that throws who are not in the official Judo sylabus of the Kodokan, but are added to it because they follow the same "filosofie/style" as Kodokan Judo get their name/classification from the mother style from which they were important.

In Japan and Europe the throw is Te Guruma
    In Korea it's Duromechigi
    In the USA it's a Duck under
    In Russia...I don't know how it's called, but you get the point.

Since we are now discussing Yudo, it's Duromechigi.
    In Europe, Japan and the USA it would be Te Guruma, because the USA and Europe take the Japanese names over. Unless the Judo clubs only follow the Kodokan sylabus and there are (ex)-wrestlers training, then it will be a Duck under.
    In Russia....still don't know the Russian name, but again you get the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 10:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's all very interesting, but it kinda misses the point.

The video says "this technique is a unique Korean technique", which is what people are taking issue with, because it clearly isn't.

Ergo, the video is full of fucking ****.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 4:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    That's all very interesting, but it kinda misses the point.

The video says "this technique is a unique Korean technique", which is what people are taking issue with, because it clearly isn't.

Ergo, the video is full of fucking ****.
    Folk wrestling and SAMBO are non-existing in South-Korea.
    Te Guruma is not a part of the official Judo sylabus. (so we aren't sure that it was ever taught in Judo classes).

Duromechigi is taken from Ssireum, so from the Korean point of view the technique is uniquelly Korean. (it's all in point of views and schematics).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 6:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    I trained at a gym that they told me was called the Songtan Judo Gym. They didn't really speak English, so they may have just been simplifying it for convenience. The gym was about 30-45 minutes (walking) away from Osan AB. Sound familiar?
    Not really but I didn't live in Songtan. The place I trained at was closer to Camp Humphreys in Gaeksari.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    Folk wrestling and SAMBO are non-existing in South-Korea.
    I don't know about folk wrestling but SAMBO definitely has a following in S. Korea. There are several schools in Seoul and possibly even more in Busan. Russia is straight up the coast from S. Korea and there is a very large russian population around Busan.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 8:01am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh Te guruma is not listed as one of the official 67. Its is instead called sukui nage for official purposes. That particular variation is called te guruma and is in Mifune's book.

I am not going to get into these senseless discussions anymore about what is or isn't Judo and who started it or were it came from or what variation was started were. Its stupid and senseless. If a country who has had its ass handed to it for centuries wants to claim they invented something then by all means go ahead. If a bunch of asianophiles want to be on that bandwagon then go ahead. I for one will just keep dumping motherfuckers on their skulls and calling it Judo. If anyone asks were I learned it I will tell them from an alligator in the swamp. Since they have been around since the prehistoric era they should know more about grappling than anyone.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 8:31am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh Te guruma is not listed as one of the official 67. Its is instead called sukui nage for official purposes. That particular variation is called te guruma and is in Mifune's book.

I am not going to get into these senseless discussions anymore about what is or isn't Judo and who started it or were it came from or what variation was started were. Its stupid and senseless. If a country who has had its ass handed to it for centuries wants to claim they invented something then by all means go ahead. If a bunch of asianophiles want to be on that bandwagon then go ahead. I for one will just keep dumping motherfuckers on their skulls and calling it Judo. If anyone asks were I learned it I will tell them from an alligator in the swamp. Since they have been around since the prehistoric era they should know more about grappling than anyone.
    You could call it prehistoric era alligator roll for a chokehold. That'll be cool name.

Let's say in USA, if Judoka joins wrestling team and does Kata Guruma and Morote-gari or version of sukui-nage. In reverse situation, a wrestler joins Judo team and does fireman's carry or double/single leg. Does it matter that much what it's called or who invented it.

While I don't agree that the throw in question is uniquely Korean in technique. I don't think anything is wrong with calling it Korean name. As for claiming to have invented something unique. I agree that's pretty dumb. That said same can be applied to any grappling technique. Except that Korea is sore from being ass handed to them for centuries while USA and Japan aren't since we're victors on most cases.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see nothing in the execution of the technique Duromechigi that would make it korean. It's done exactly in the same fashion as Te-Guruma. Samboists usually do throws would probably classify as one of the 67 gokyo throws listed, but they usually add a variation of it making the throw itself unique example Uranage.

Sambo Uranage at the 0;04 mark
    YouTube - Sambo

Judo Uranage
    http://judoinfo.com/video/gokyo/UraNage.wmv

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 10:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Now you're almost more than halfway there.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 11:30am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't wax semantically with me. I ain't in the mood for that enlightened nonsensical bullshit. Go talk in circles with someone else.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast