Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 11:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buddhist have the best weed.

What emotional bias? I could care less about Koreans and the Japanese. I pretty much care less about any society but that is just me. What I do care about is someone taking credit for **** that is not theirs.

I respect the art form for what it is. It is a great absorbing style allows for individual expression and growth. It is not hemmed up with the fact that it is from Japan but more or less it is for the world.

That throw is not uniquely Korean. The only uniquely Korean thing I have seen in my life is Rain.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 11:51am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The technique in the video is also known as a duck under by many folkstyle wrestlers. I was just working it with one of the wrestling coaches who comes to our club on Monday. There's nothing distinctively Korean about it, as you can find it in most grappling systems, including Judo as well.

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 12:49pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, we've trained this quite a few times in sambo...
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
    I trained Yudo for a year in Korea in 08-09. Same experience. They also didn't differentiate between Yudo and Judo - they thought and said that it was the same art. They almost exclusively used Korean terminology, though I wasn't witness to any techniques that were specifically Korean and which were absent in Japanese Judo.
    My promotion certificate that I received over in Korea does not really diffrentiate between the two terms either. The Hangul is written as Yudo, but the English is written as Judo. Even the organizations name, Daehan Yudo Gwan is written in English as Korean Judo Association.

Where did you train at?

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking for the Kodokan; the waza shown is not te-guruma; because there is no te guruma in Kodokan Judo.

The Kodokan classifies that waza as a variation of skuki nage.

Now, speaking for myself, bull crap. Its Te guruma; and I have learned it in wrestling, sambo, and Judo.

I am not going to get into flavors. I like the Russian flavor of Judo. I still believe the US should give the keys to Judo to USA wrestling so we could have a US flavor of Judo.

But to each their own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 4:03am

Style: Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    My promotion certificate that I received over in Korea does not really diffrentiate between the two terms either. The Hangul is written as Yudo, but the English is written as Judo. Even the organizations name, Daehan Yudo Gwan is written in English as Korean Judo Association.

Where did you train at?
    I trained at a gym that they told me was called the Songtan Judo Gym. They didn't really speak English, so they may have just been simplifying it for convenience. The gym was about 30-45 minutes (walking) away from Osan AB. Sound familiar?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 9:53am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    I still believe the US should give the keys to Judo to USA wrestling so we could have a US flavor of Judo.
    I like this idea. Seconded!!

I spent a large portion of my time in Korea also training Yudo. In my experience all techniques were taught with Korean terminology but were never identified as being Korean and not Japanese.

It seems to me that the grading structure was also more relaxed (or lax take your pick) with more of a BJJ mentality. If you were consistently competitive with other BBs both from within your school and with ones visiting from outside of your school you would get promoted to BB.

Did any of my other fellow Yudoin have this same experience?
    安氏八极拳学生

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 10:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Buddhist have the best weed.
    Not of late, given the random piss tests and background checks.

What emotional bias?
    The one exhibited in your behavior of jumping to conclusions that you were completely wrong about and ranting.

That throw is not uniquely Korean.
    Exactly.

Duromechigi is uniquely Korean.

The only uniquely Korean thing I have seen in my life is Rain.
    You obviously weren't looking hard enough.:XXspam:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 10:30am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yudo vs. Judo
    I trained Yudo in USA for 3 years and Judo for 1 year combined. My experience was that there were no major or any red flag difference between the two. Only differences I experienced in my limited training were that the names of techniques are different Yudo & Judo. I also noticed a difference in entry & grips were different. I'm not sure what to make of that though? I guess it's the different flavor of Judo influenced by their country?

Linguistics
    As for why Judo is called Yudo in Korea. I can actually comment on this with some certainty. Main reason for it is the pronunciation difference of the two countries. If I recall right Yudo and Judo characters are exactly the same 柔道 in Kanji (Chinese Character in Japanese) and Hanja (Chinese Characters in Korean). Key difference is the way these Chinese characters are pronounced in each Country. I guess you can say it's like About and Aboat *Canadian Joke*

Japan Hatred
    This is side topic and derails the topic about Judo vs. Yudo. Japan hatred certainly exists to some degree. However it's not as rampant as outsiders to Korea think it is and crazy as it is. It's actually far worse in countries like China. While this does get out of hand sometimes, Japan also have fault for it to linger.

Japan denied their fault for war vehemently and only apologized recently for some of their actions during WW2 and colonial days. Recently being about 60 years after the WW2 ended. Unlike Germany, Japan still glorifies it's Imperial days. In terms of it's European counterpart Germany, it'd be like glorifying their Nazi Germany days.

Some more facts. Take a look at Japanese textbooks. It still says it annexed and colonized their Asian neighbors to make them 'better'. I'm paraphrasing here but it's pretty much the line used during European Imperial days from 2 to 3 century ago.

It also omits any mention of war crimes Japanese Imperial military forces were convicted of. Such as Maruta (human subject) experiments by Unit 731 of biological, psychological, and chemical experiments, Comfort women (forced sex slaves), and more. These are very sore topic for all countries that Imperial Japan formerly occupied. To add further context, it wasn't just Asian countries. There are women from Europe (specifically Netherlands) that were comfort women.

If you talk to individuals from Japan who is visiting or did not study abroad. Most of them have no idea such actions were done during Imperial Army days. Heck even my former Japense gf who came over to US after college and lived & worked here for 7 years had no idea till she dated me.

I'm not spewing any hate, these are facts. I don't have any hate for Japan, I actually love Japan quite a bit. But loving something also means accepting it's flaws and pointing it out. While this does seem one sided, Korea have their own problems and hand on Japan hate.

Lastly, Japan still takes some actions as a nation to tick off their neighbors. Mainly with island controversies. Dokdo with South Korea, Sakhlain/Kuril with Russia, Daioyu with Taiwan.

Bottom-line is while Japanese neighbors still harbor dislike and sometimes down right hatred for Japan. Japan also have fault for letting feelings from WW2 that ended in 1945 linger all the way to 21st century. Unlike Germany which made significant effort to start a clean slate and start new relations with their former enemy. Japan sorta wanted to dump it underneath the carpet and improve relations with their former enemy.

Edit: Imagine Germany that does omits from their textbook about Nazi Germany war crimes, write in their textbook that they started & invaded neighbors to make them 'better', continued use of Nazi Germany symbols & flags in their culture, don't apologize to their neighbors about the war or their crimes till 60 years after WW2 ended and only after being forced to. If this was the path Germany took, German neighbors such as France and Russia will still bitter and have German hate, and their countries' relations will be on a thin note.
    Last edited by babo78; 10/29/2009 10:43am at .

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 11:20am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spam is Korean? Thought it was from the US?

You know what your right durowhateverthefuck is a Korean name unique to Korea. The throw however is not.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast