Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video's te guruma.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 8:57am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Case in point Te guruma is not one of the 67
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 9:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judo_technique

This wiki-page gives the names of the non reconized throws (together with the 67 ofcourse).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 10:25am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    The Koreans just don't like the Japanese and give everything a Korean name or pronunciation.
    That has nothing to do with why it's called yudo.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 10/28/2009 10:30am at .

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 10:28am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are plenty of techniques that have been developed by many different players that are not part of the standard throws. That does not instantly turn the art form into a specific country based martial art. The bases for that throw and any other variation comes from basic Judo.

There are many styles of Judo associated with specific countries. French, Russian, Korean and Cuban to name a few. It deals with the way that country approaches Judo in competition and some techniques that they incorporate that other places do not. It could be a way of gripping or a variation to a particular throw. It doesn't change the fact that it started as Judo.

Judo is not practiced in a fish bowl like many other martial arts. It's open to the world. Much like open source programming. While many people will change it and make it to their liking the base OS is common through out all the programming.
    The throw shown is a Ssireum throw.

Whether or not it is taught elsewhere deriving from Judo does not negate the cross-pollination of Ssireum techniques within Yudo.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really how so? You're telling me that after the Koreans finally got rid of the Japanese from there land that they did not have any hard feelings for all the years of occupation? The fact that many of the Korean martial arts masters were trained in Japan and latter to have a since of national pride created TKD and brought back styles that were forbidden to be practiced?

Why is it that every time I go to Japan there is a TV talk show with Koreans bitching about how the Japanese fucked up there society and they wish they would all burn in hell.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 10:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That throw is not UNIQUE to Korean wrestling. IDK where it originated but I seriously doubt the idea of lifting the another guy up by the crotch and dumping him on his head was an original Korean idea. It may be present in an old Korean training manual but its also present in old Japanese, Greek, Russian, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian hieroglyphics.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 11:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JBliss View Post
    hey guys check this one out, says its a unique Korean technique from cirem...Judo men is it a part of your lexicon as well? It seems like they have a whole collection techniques up there for you (and i) to peruse.

YouTube - Yudo (Judo) Lift and Drop Throw
    It's te-guruma, a core pickup technique. It's hardly unique to Korean Yudo, even Judo at all for that matter.

Crazy bastards, they really do think they invented everything.

Edit: Eh, teach me not to read the thread.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 11:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit you got me started. The reason that a particular technique is not listed as one of the 67 even though it is effective is due to the obscurity of it. Fundamentally it will have all the traits of a good throw and may be a derivative of a know throw.

Take the Khabarelli for example. Does it work? Yes. Essentially is a standing/flying sumi geashi. Now we know how to do that throw and can break it down and teach it because it falls into the parameters of a good technique. Is it for everyone? No. But almost anyone can do it. It's an obscure technique that used correctly will do the job.

Should we all now say that oh that's Russian Judo and its got it's roots back when they use to wrestle bears and it came from an old man in the mountains and its should be its own style? Hell no. It's fucking Judo. It fits into the system and works. Should we give homage to the originator? Hell yea.

That throw, teguruma, is awesome. I love doing it and have been doing it for many years. I even show it to my MMA guys. I have not had one do it yet though. All I am saying is that it is not unique to any country or person for that matter. Mifune has it in his book and I have seen it in several wrestling texts as well.

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 11:33am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really how so? You're telling me that after the Koreans finally got rid of the Japanese from there land that they did not have any hard feelings for all the years of occupation?
    Stop running to conclusions based on emotional bias.

Koreans pronouncing 柔道 as Yudo has nothing to do with hatred of the Japanese. It has everything to do with the Chinese characters were imported into Korean and Japanese culture centuries before there was any Japanese/Korean animosity.

It's the same reason 跆拳道 is pronounced Taiquandao in Beijing and not Taekwondo.

It's the same reason 截拳道 is pronounced Jiequandao in Taiwan, and not Jitkyundou (Jeet Kune Do).

It's not your language to tell people how to speak.

The fact that many of the Korean martial arts masters were trained in Japan and latter to have a since of national pride created TKD and brought back styles that were forbidden to be practiced?
    Actually, only three of them trained in Japan.

Why is it that every time I go to Japan there is a TV talk show with Koreans bitching about how the Japanese fucked up there society and they wish they would all burn in hell.
    Because the Japanese fucked up their society and many Koreans wish they would all burn in hell.

That has nothing to do with linguistics.

That throw is not UNIQUE to Korean wrestling. IDK where it originated but I seriously doubt the idea of lifting the another guy up by the crotch and dumping him on his head was an original Korean idea. It may be present in an old Korean training manual but its also present in old Japanese, Greek, Russian, Mesopotamian, and Egyptian hieroglyphics.
    Of course that throw is not unique to Ssireum. No technique is truly unique to any culture.

However, because of the historical interplay between Ssireum & Yudo in Korea, especially at Yongin University, its place in Yudo is, thus making it a uniquely Korean throw from the inside perspective. It's identified as a Ssireum throw, duromechigi, and not as an outside technique, te guruma.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast