Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last
  1. #21
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    I'm not standing completely sideways.And yes, my default response to a rush is a high kick.I'm flexible and fast enough to kick like that on teh str33ts.I pulled it off in the last fight i got into, but I got stomped on in the end.The kick was a great sucksecks, regardless.
    Why waste the energy going high when you can just kick the person in the groin? Also, if the person commits to a rush, it means he has enough forward momentum to be taken into a quick throw. But anyway...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:



  2. #22

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,587
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Why waste the energy going high when you can just kick the person in the groin? Also, if the person commits to a rush, it means he has enough forward momentum to be taken into a quick throw. But anyway...
    Kicking is my bread and butter and that is how I react when under stress.I also have more striking experience.There are lots of better options when i sit and think about it, but if I really have to fight it goes out the window.I have enough confidence to take the risk with this one.

    Anyway, not to derail further, the only point of my first post was that I can't see the point in monky posing and getting into the other guys face.If I think the situation can escalate I will try to put myself in a position from where I can get a good look at the guy and my surroundings and where I can react to the best of my abilities (no matter how wild and risky that reaction might be :P).

  3. #23
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I concur with Scrapper. There is only one guarantee when it comes to fighting...you will lose eventually.

    I prefer to proactively deescalate situations whenever I can. If I can't deescalate, I try to deflect their attention to something else. If that deflection won't work, I move to deterrence...pretty much giving them reasons why fighting is not in their (and/or my) best interest. By this point, I've pretty much mapped out every possible route of egress if needed. Identifying the other person's friends is also important at this point. If I can make my way away, I get away...if not, well. I pray that I'm smarter than he is and better trained.

    Throughout the above, distance is always your friend...if for no other reason than just being able to see more than just the person in front of me.

    I also agree with Scrappers philosophy.

    The only problem I've really run into with conflict is that I try to make myself look like I'm more trouble than I'm worth. But every once-in-a-while I find that there are people who see it as a challenge.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:



  4. #24
    BadUglyMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    387
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Me too.I'm always standing outside striking range in a little sideways stance with one leg on my toes ready to kick his head off if he rushes me.
    Uh, are you aware that blading up is giving you away?

  5. #25
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Kicking is my bread and butter and that is how I react when under stress.I also have more striking experience.There are lots of better options when i sit and think about it, but if I really have to fight it goes out the window.I have enough confidence to take the risk with this one.

    Anyway, not to derail further, the only point of my first post was that I can't see the point in monky posing and getting into the other guys face.If I think the situation can escalate I will try to put myself in a position from where I can get a good look at the guy and my surroundings and where I can react to the best of my abilities (no matter how wild and risky that reaction might be :P).
    If you have someone running at you and you throw a high kick, you're going to get knocked down even if you land it. And then kicking will be useless. You'll look like Tharuz kung fu kicking at someone's shins.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:



  6. #26
    vigilus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    2,293
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    I'm not standing completely sideways.And yes, my default response to a rush is a high kick.I'm flexible and fast enough to kick like that on teh str33ts.I pulled it off in the last fight i got into, but I got stomped on in the end.The kick was a great sucksecks, regardless.
    What city in Bosnia are you in?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,587
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    Uh, are you aware that blading up is giving you away?
    What is blading up?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    If you have someone running at you and you throw a high kick, you're going to get knocked down even if you land it. And then kicking will be useless. You'll look like Tharuz kung fu kicking at someone's shins.
    By rushing I mean haymaker spam.I never saw a guy shoot for the legs in a str33t fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    What city in Bosnia are you in?
    Doboj.

  8. #28
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    By rushing I mean haymaker spam.I never saw a guy shoot for the legs in a str33t fight.
    But I'm sure you've seen your fair share of football style tackles...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:



  9. #29
    BadUglyMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    387
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    What is blading up?



    By rushing I mean haymaker spam.I never saw a guy shoot for the legs in a str33t fight.

    Dobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Me too.I'm always standing outside striking range in a little sideways stance with one leg on my toes ready to kick his head off if he rushes me.
    Football tackle or wrestling takedown/slam are difficult to counter with a kick. Vidoes of success defenses plz. Vids in the gym against noncompliant partner are okay.

  10. #30
    Kovacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kent - UK
    Posts
    1,602
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    I have found that eh more you learn about real fighting, the less likely you are to have a fight. (Generally...I have met a few notable exceptions)

    Once you seriously study the right way to fight, you learn that it is much easier to LOSE a fight than it is to WIN one. This has made me very cautious.

    Furthermore, you don't feel as insecure or threatened, and are thus less likely to react inappropriately to negative stimulus.
    Absolutely. Before I started MT I used to react awfully to tense situations, my heart rate would go through the roof and I'd even forget to breath properly or hold my breath. I'd freeze up easily or overreact.

    When I finally started up a decent art and found out how to hit and get hit back, I got over the flinching and the adrenaline spikes and learned how to actually think when things got a bit punchy.

    In the rare occassion when I do find myself feeling threatened in some way I can avoid it simply becouse I can relax and think ahead.

Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO