Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 6:08pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    I was referring to the 'unorthodox' footwork Machida uses. The evasion in karate is to get the **** away from the guy trying to hit you, and it played straight into a leg kicker's (Rua) hands (shins if you really want to be pedantic). I agree with G-off the main problem was his Bisping-esque moving to the power side however, if machida used more bent arm punches (he owes his straight punching style to karate) we might have been able to perform in clinch range more effectively. At one point he was smothered by Rua against the cage, his punches weren't all that effective but rua's punches were good. He can hadle the limited tools of a boxer but he had trouble with a VERY traditionally based Thai standup style.

*before yet another person accuses me of hating karate I should probably finally make it known I did shotokan for about 5/6 years sigh*
    I don't understand the point you're making about his footwork. You're saying he circled to the wrong side because he was too worried about just getting away from Shogun, and didn't realize it was the wrong side to move towards?

As for his punching, using more hooks and other looping punches would require Machida to be in punching range longer. That's a foolish idea for him, given his lack of head movement and that he leaves his hands down at shoulder level.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/29/2009 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    I don't understand the point you're making about his footwork. You're saying he circled to the wrong side because he was too worried about just getting away from Shogun, and didn't realize it was the wrong side to move towards?
    No I was clarifying what I meant by karate footwork, like i was asked to.. I then said I agreed with your previous post afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by G-Off View Post
    As for his punching, using more hooks and other looping punches would require Machida to be in punching range longer. That's a foolish idea for him, given his lack of head movement and that he leaves his hands down at shoulder level.
    Exactly, low hands and no head movement are common karate traits. the point i'm getting at is that although his successes are due to people not having an effective answer for a karate stylist, his failure here was a direct result of his style not having an effective answer for rua, which goes back to my original post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123