Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:18pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGuido View Post

By all means, go Infantry if you have this romantic vision of how it will be. Having been attached to an infantry unit, I will tell you that you WILL spend the majority of your enlisted time as a manual laborer. While the technical folks get offices, drive expensive military equipment, and get promoted...you'll be cleaning, lifting things, cleaning some more, and so forth.

You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 8:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1.) MARSOC now has purview of Marine Spec Ops. Recon, and even Force Recon, are not technically their "Special Operations" branch anymore. I realize this is nitpicky, but Marines seem to be making a big deal out of it, so I thought I'd mention it.

2.) Kickapoo, you sound like kind of a douchebag. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're trolling.

3.) Depending on where I was in Afghanistan, I either didn't have running water, or I had a 3 star chef who would cook meals personally.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't worry about your rate until you get your ASVAB score back. if you're really a sharp recruit then the magic 8 ball of MOS will give you some good ideas you didn't think about before.

i highly recommend doing something high tech if at all possible. you can still be capt. badass later down the road, but if something happens and you can't cut it in specops selection or if you get a nasty injury that disqualifies you, then you'll be glad you have an interesting and challenging job that will give good translation to the civilian world.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    You're going to think I'm an asshole, get used to it in the military.
    I'll treat you like one of my soldiers.

Rule one, stop acting stupid.

First you're asking that people don't state the obvious, but, you are not sure if the military forum is where you should ask questions about the military?
    Another stupid question.
    What do you want to hear, that you're AWESOME? Do you want some pats on the back and head?
    Do YOU think someone who run's 8 miles a day and does 250 pushups on routine is good for the military?
    yes it is and you already know that. My mother could tell you that.
    This is called low balling.
    This like me going to a new unit and saying HEY guys, is scoring perfect on my marksmanship test 5 times in a row one after another any good?
    If you actually are in that good of physical condition then don't play dumb with us because we'll see through it.
    Whenever I see or read what is supposed to be typical military trash talking I always think that it's hilarious and funny instead of, like, making me uncomfortable. I thought the drill instructor in Full Metal Jacket was like a stand-up comedian. That's probably because whereas a lot of the sexually degrading stuff he said was shocking and socially unacceptable back in the 60s or 70s it's just straight up funny and typical on t3h internet.

I dunno, it's just what whenever I see some kind of military instructor going ballistic and yelling at someone it always makes me want to giggle more than anything else.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 10:49pm

Style: Bartitsu&German Longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You must know what you want to get out of the experience

Do you want job security for 20 years in a field that won't cause very much wear and tear on your body? Then look for a technical/administrative job.

Do you want training that will lead to civilian employment after one hitch? Then look for an equipment oriented job. The US military is an equipment intensive organization, all services offer good technical training.

Do you want to do Rambo stuff that is extremely difficult to market in the civilian job market? Then go combat arms, but when you are not deployed you will be in the field so much that you will have very limited time for going to the gym or training in martial arts. Plus, when you are in garrison you will spend the first several years doing menial labor day after day.

Do you want leadership training? Then look towards the Corps and the Army. Regardless of the MOS, they emphasize small unit leadership.

If you don't know what you want, the recruiters will sell you whatever they think you want to hear. One of the favorites when I was in the Corps was "Don't worry if we can't get you the MOS you want (avionics, radar tech, etc.), after one year you can do a lateral transfer." Lateral transfers were almost nonexistent in the first hitch, most of the Marines who fell for that line ended up as cooks, truck drivers or Infantry. I volunteered for the Infantry, but the Marines who were stuck there because of recruiter shenanigans were basically wasting their time.

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 11:07pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    1.)

2.) Kickapoo, you sound like kind of a douchebag. In fact, I'm pretty sure you're trolling.
    You got that too eh?

I can only run 8 miles and lift a house, is that okay?

PS Gentlemen. I know in this day and age everything seems high tech and nerdy.

Every single job in the military ultimately supports the infantry.
    You're the top of the food chain. No other trade can hold ground.
    Every other trade is important, or even vital. **** how important are cooks?! But infantry? You don't do your job right and it's epic fail for the war.
    Last edited by vigilus; 10/26/2009 11:17pm at .
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 11:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    USMC- They don't call it "The Suck" for nothing.

I got really bored with my infantry job and only had to do it on the weekends. I think it would be better on active duty as you would have the opportunity to try out for other jobs besides rifleman. If I understand it correctly now Recon/0321 and Sniper/0317 are entry level jobs. You can enlist right into them and than try out for a Marine Special Operations Battalion.:qright6:

Posted On:
    10/27/2009 12:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    You got that too eh?

I can only run 8 miles and lift a house, is that okay?

PS Gentlemen. I know in this day and age everything seems high tech and nerdy.

Every single job in the military ultimately supports the infantry.
    You're the top of the food chain. No other trade can hold ground.
    Every other trade is important, or even vital. **** how important are cooks?! But infantry? You don't do your job right and it's epic fail for the war.
    To be honest, anything over 6 miles too often, and I get the shits. And no one on earth runs 8+ miles a day, 7 days a week. And infantry is cool, but I have found that CAS and the like can pick up the slack in a pinch.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2009 12:32am

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well everyone has pretty much covered the job aspect versus civilian marketability versus what you want out of it bases; so I won't go into any of that.

I will say that after 21 1/2 years in two branches of the service, Army/Navy, I have no regrets at all.

I thouroughly enjoyed my time in, I retire in April; I will miss it.

I would do every bit of it again;

- up 72 hours straight, sometimes 96
    - low crawling through sand, cactus, burrs, brambles, scorpions and fucking spiders
    - various inspections and certifications
    - 20-30 mile road march
    - BMR (basic rifle marksmanship)
    - steel piss pot helmets
    - the obstacle course
    - **** on a shingle
    - the early versions of MRE's
    - transiting the suez canal, twice
    - visiting Greece, Italy, Spain, France (okay maybe not France), Turkey, Isreal, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Jamaica, the Virgin Islands- St Thomas and St John.
    - transiting the panama canal
    - working in 130 degree heat for 12-16 hours at time
    - standing watch/post
    - morning coffee
    - midnight coffee
    - inane conversation after 8 weeks of looking at nothing but ocean
    - morning colors
    - evening retreat
    - steaming a 12-16 knots
    - sunrise and sunset at sea
    - crew serve weapons shoots, I love the M2 .50 Cal!!!!!
    - 6 hours in front of a sonar console
    - flight ops
    - fire drills
    - quick reaction weapons drills
    - seeing the burning oil fields from the first Gulf War
    - COMREL (community relations) projects
    - coming home from deployment
    - Wearing my uniform

Just to name some of my experiences, your mileage may vary.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    10/27/2009 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to ignore the 'obvious troll is obvious' posts, because, well, I apoligize I want to have a good understanding of a life changing decision before I bust into a recruiting office and start signing my name on all the dotted lines.

That being said, thanks for the serious posts. It's muchly appreciated. I took a practice ASVAB-I don't think it was an actual ASVAB because it only asked me math and language comprehension questions-and scored somewhere in the 93rd percentile (more douchebaggery, I'm sure). This was with the Navy, and the recruiter did mention the SEALs, but I'm a decent swimmer on a good day and I don't think that's up to snuff.

And I'm a little confused by what's going on here. Would you all have felt better if I was fat and lacked drive going into a military career?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast