Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 5:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Considering enlisting?

Hey all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to put this thread (It's called the Armory, but touts itself the 'Weapons, Military, LEO and Self Defense Forum', so I think it is), but I'm looking for some input on this.

Right now I'm a semester into getting my Associates degree, and well, I don't think I'll be able to stay in school long enough to get my Bachelor's. I don't have the money or the inclination to stay in school four years straight.

So, I figured I'd get some information on the military. Thus far I've met with Navy and Marine recruiters, and well, their schpeal smacked of so much 'used car salesman' rhetoric that I almost got angry. While I'm aware that a fair deal of you may provide slightly biased answers, I figure I'd go ahead and ask anyway.

What all were your experiences in the military? Largely good or bad or what? What branch? Right now I'm looking into the Marines. I understand training is tough, but I have friends in the Marines who were way softer going in then I was, so I figure if they can do it so can I.

Please don't point out the obvious that the military is dangerous. I appreciate your concern, but I understand that fact.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are your interests?

Having a plan when you come into the service can help out a lot. Have you looked into any of the programs? What sort of training do you want to receive?

Give us an idea of what you see yourself doing, and we'll do our best to help you see through the recruiter smoke.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good portion of me wants to do infantry, just because it seems like it'd be interesting and challenging. The drawback to that, however, is that recruiters seem very opposed to that idea. I'm in great physical shape, but I'm smart as hell, and I guess it's easier to get people in shape then it is to make their brains function well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent 8 years in the Navy as a nuclear electronics technician. Pretty much any recruiter you talk to will use high pressure used car salesman tactics to get you in. Do your research and figure out what you want to do and get everything they promise you in writing. One advantage of enlisting is that they will put any school debts on hold. Another is that no matter which service you go into you can sign up for the G.I. bill so that when you do want to go back to school the government will pay for it. If you have any questions pm me.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brains + Great Physical Shape = Special Warfare. If you have the mental fortitude to make it through the grueling training programs, that is.

A lot of the guys here will all have their own ideas on what branch's Special Operations community is the best. Six of one, half-dozen of the other if you ask me. They're all really challenging, and if you pride yourself in being physically fit and mentally sharp you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How difficult is it? I run at least eight miles a day year round, and usually push out 200-250 pushups a day, in addition to my lifting. Is this at least a good base to have going in?

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 6:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickapoo View Post
    A good portion of me wants to do infantry, just because it seems like it'd be interesting and challenging. The drawback to that, however, is that recruiters seem very opposed to that idea. I'm in great physical shape, but I'm smart as hell, and I guess it's easier to get people in shape then it is to make their brains function well.
    I scored a 98 on the ASVAB and had a 1st class PFT upon going in, and I still wanted to do Infantry. Looking back, I would have done things differently.

Long and short, take the ASVAB first. Once you get your scores, the recruiter can then open up the big book of MOS listings and you can take your pick.

However, keep this in mind: Recon and Force Recon (Marine Corps Special Ops) can be entered from ANY MOS. Sgt Fullford, one of my recruiters, entered Recon from Motor Transport (truck driver). Another guy entered Recon from Data Entry.

So pick a job that sounds interesting and has the potential to pass along a skill that runs parallel with your future plans. If you feel the urge, you can try for the Recon Indoc...and if you pass, you'll be up to your eyeballs in jump school, cryptology, SERE, and other crazy business. If you don't pass, get injured, etc...then at least you have a decent job to fall back on.

By all means, go Infantry if you have this romantic vision of how it will be. Having been attached to an infantry unit, I will tell you that you WILL spend the majority of your enlisted time as a manual laborer. While the technical folks get offices, drive expensive military equipment, and get promoted...you'll be cleaning, lifting things, cleaning some more, and so forth.

You see, out of combat an Infantry Marine is considered unskilled labor...and there are TONS of Infantry Marines already enlisted, so you're just another ant piled into the ant hill.

You can take my word for it, and make the decision now...or you can tell yourself, "This guy is full of ****...I wanna be Rambo!"

You're call, bro.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How difficult is it? I run at least eight miles a day year round, and usually push out 200-250 pushups a day, in addition to my lifting. Is this at least a good base to have going in?
    To be considered for Force Recon, most guys agreed on the following:

-Run 3 miles at a 6 minute per mile pace.
    -20 proper form pull-ups at once.
    -Max sit ups.

You also have a pack run, which tends to be the area where most wash out. To prepare, grab a sturdy backpack and load it up to 70-80 lbs. Then practice FAST walking (we're talking POWER walking) and light jogging in boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Infidel

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:06pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to think I'm an asshole, get used to it in the military.
    I'll treat you like one of my soldiers.

Rule one, stop acting stupid.

First you're asking that people don't state the obvious, but, you are not sure if the military forum is where you should ask questions about the military?

Nope. Getting people in good physical condition isn't easy.
    Especially since people are addicted to the internet and drink too much.

Another stupid question.
    What do you want to hear, that you're AWESOME? Do you want some pats on the back and head?

Do YOU think someone who run's 8 miles a day and does 250 pushups on routine is good for the military?
    yes it is and you already know that. My mother could tell you that.

This is called low balling.
    This like me going to a new unit and saying HEY guys, is scoring perfect on my marksmanship test 5 times in a row one after another any good?

If you actually are in that good of physical condition then don't play dumb with us because we'll see through it.

Join the infantry.
    Work your way up to squad leader.
    Command a little.
    Apply for special operations.
    Play ninja a few years then get a nice civilian job or pick up a well paying trade like computer fixer or satalite designer or whatever.

Blamo, there's your military career.
    I should be a personal selection officer and making 3 times what I do.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Lightweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to give SEALs a try, your path will start as soon as you get to Great Lakes for normal boot camp.

You'll have to pass the SEAL qualifier (I believe they still do this in boot) and then it's likely you won't really see anyone outside the special operations community ever again. Assuming, of course, you make it through BUD/S. You gotta be a damned good swimmer, though.

It used to be that the SEALs used source ratings, where as long as you held an occupational specialty in a certain "source" rate, you could take the SEAL qualifier and take a crack at BUD/S. Now, all SEALs have their own rate, "SO".

Things are run differently now, and I don't have the most current info offhand.

Shouldn't be too hard to find.

I do know that the path to being a Special Warfare operator is a bit longer in the other services. As the above poster pointed out, you're infantry first...then you'd go on later to Ranger school/JUMP/SFG (if ARMY), Force Recon stuff (if USMC), and the like.

New SEALs, assuming they pass the qualifier in boot camp, go right into it. The only drawback here is that I don't have the slightest idea what would happen to you if you failed out of BUD/S. Most likely you'd get sent to the fleet undesignated, or allowed to pick another rate, but I'm not really sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    What do you want to hear, that you're AWESOME? Do you want some pats on the back and head?
    LMFAO!!!!

Kickapoo, if you really and truly want to kick the door down for a living, get used to hearing how much you suck. If GuiltySpark's comments make you feel uncomfortable, this ain't the line of work for you.
    Last edited by ronin497; 10/26/2009 7:18pm at .
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast