Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 6:21pm

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly don't get all the Brock hate. I mean, the guy botched a post-fight interview, which he apologized for, but even before that there seemed to be an inordinate amount of venom directed his way. I guess some of it can be atributed to some form of juvenile respons to the Brock nuthugging that goes on at Sherdog, but I don't think that covers all of it, so what's the deal?

Personally I thought he was given a title-shot too early, but he proved to be worthy of that shot. He gets paid a lot, but he gets paid what the UFC feel he is worth in terms of PPV-sales, so that's just the free market in action.

Do people somehow not like him because (fightwise) he hit a jackpot on the genetic lottery? But if that's it, then why the love for Carwin?

I dislike very few fighters, they would have to be assholes repeatedly in various interviews for that to happen, and frankly Brock tends to come of as a pretty nice guy in most interviews I've seen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 9:06pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc View Post
    I guess some of it can be atributed to some form of juvenile respons to the Brock nuthugging that goes on at Sherdog, but I don't think that covers all of it, so what's the deal?

I think its the concept of Brock rather than Brock himself.

I think its the fact a dude who was a professional wrestler worth a squillion dollars quits to pursue professional football, fails, then decides he will try MMA. Because I mean its just that easy. This fact alone I think destroyed him before he even started with the sports facet of hardcore fans.

Then the fact he is such a financial commidity means he was snatched up rather quickly by the top notch guys and thus the molding of the superstar to take the sport further mainstream begun. He was hurtled through the ranks, became Champion in a somewhat depleted division and took the rank of the UFC's newest showcase.

Aside from all that, the guy is the definition of 'Genetic Freak'. No two ways about it. Just my $0.02 worth......

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 9:26pm

Style: CSW BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    I think its the fact a dude who was a professional wrestler worth a squillion dollars quits to pursue professional football, fails, then decides he will try MMA. Because I mean its just that easy. This fact alone I think destroyed him before he even started with the sports facet of hardcore fans.
    Brock was a pretty good amateur wrestler before he went professional, He went there for the cash. Yeah, they probably hate him for going pro, but the man can throw down.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is the guy has to earn his bread, and sometimes amateur wrestling doesn't cut it. MMA is a great outlet for him.
    Last edited by Strifes; 10/28/2009 9:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 9:57pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strifes View Post
    Brock was a pretty good amateur wrestler before he went professional, He went there for the cash. Yeah, they probably hate him for going pro, but the man can throw down.

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is the guy has to earn his bread, and sometimes amateur wrestling doesn't cut it. MMA is a great outlet for him.
    This seemed relevant.
    YouTube - Southpark - They took our jobs and his dog!

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 10:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodedmonk View Post
    +2 ufc should random test him.
    Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I think they already know. Dana doesn't strike me as the kind of boss that is cool with his employees calling into work sick as an excuse.

You don't slaughter your cash cow. Unless they try to sue to get out of their contract, you have another cash cow in the wings, or both.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 1:11pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This morning's news from MMAjunkie dot com reports that Brock is out of UFC 108. Apparently he has been sick with mono and has not been able to train at the intensity required for quite some time.

Ill champ Brock Lesnar now out of UFC 108, opponent Shane Carwin says (Updated)

by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Nov 05, 2009 at 8:25 am ET
    After their initial title fight was scrapped from this month's UFC 106 card, an expected re-booking at UFC 108 between heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and challenger Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) also appears dead.

Heavy.com was the first to report Lesnar's withdrawal, and according to Carwin, he's been notified Lesnar is suffering from mononucleosis and their UFC 108 bout is "not happening."

"Brock has mono, and what the UFC has told me is that I have earned the title [shot] but I have to wait for the title holder," he wrote on shane-carwin.com. "I hope Brock gets well soon."

Carwin's manager, Jason Genet, confirmed with MMAjunkie dot com late Wednesday that updates had been trickling in that made the fight seem unlikely.

In an earlier blog posted last week, Carwin announced that Lesnar was sick and out of their UFC 106 booking, which was slated for Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. (Carwin also claimed he had H1N1 but had opted not to pull out of the fight.)

The fight was then expected to be announced for UFC 108 on Jan. 2 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. However, a potential match-up between top contenders Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, which MMA junkie dot com reported on Wednesday (as likely but not signed), is now the leading candidate to headline that show.

The scrapped main event was supposed to serve as Lesnar's first title defense since unifying the UFC's heavyweight belts with a UFC 100 victory over then-interim champ Frank Mir. Lesnar won the title with a November 2008 victory over then-champ Randy Couture.

Carwin, meanwhile, looked to claim his 12th straight win at UFC 106. The 34-year-old has yet to fight longer than two minutes and 11 seconds in any bout. He had posted swift UFC victories over Christian Wellisch, Neil Wain and Gabriel Gonzaga to earn the title shot.

There is currently no target date for the matchup, and Carwin told MMA junkie dot com he's remaining positive despite the financial strain caused by not fighting since March – and the challenger even offered a tip to aid Lesnar in his recovery.

"I am honored to be considered the contender, and I will wait for however long it takes to fight a healthy Brock Lesnar," Carwin said. "I would suggest that he visits a Max Muscle Sports Nutrition near him as they have been a key to keeping me healthy and moving forward.

"I am thankful to my fans and my sponsors at Beaver Buzz Energy, Max Muscle, PerformanceMMA and Warrior Wear who have supported me and stood by my side. The financial and emotional support they provide me and my family has helped me more then they may ever know."
    Last edited by MrJ; 11/05/2009 1:15pm at . Reason: put "MMA junkie dot com" to replace MonkeyScrotumCleaning

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 4:40pm

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks, but rather healthy fighters than excuses if they lose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 5:56pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know Beaver Buzz sponsored Carwin! If you want a tasty ass energy drink, buy a Beaver Buzz!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    beaver buzz is the drink of champions!

BEAVER BUZZ!

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 10:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    steroids.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast