Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 7:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Tegner

Last edited by Justme; 5/18/2004 8:56am at .

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 10:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course. he was the real first MMAer. Studied and wrote about ten different styles before anyone else. he's not even on the poll.

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will put him on the Top Western Martial Artists

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy was a hit back in the 'early days' of karate in America. I have read some of his books. When they were published, they were a gold mine of information, because there were few other works on the subject. Better books have been published since then (Of course that was expected, being that it's been around 20 years! ;) )

Some say that he probably wouldn't stack up to today's crowd. However, I believe that many of today's group of martial artists got into it at least partly as a result of the publicity generated by his work. So, credit where credit is due.

The last I heared of him, he wrote or contributed to the entry for "Martial Arts" in a 1980's edition of a well-known academic Encyclopedia (I think it was Grolier's).

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still have many of his books. I havnt a clue what happen to him. But he was a revolutionary for the widespread of martial art books for his time.
    I dont know what happen to Al Thomas either of "American Budojujitsu". He was a top notch teacher as well.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 2:39pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first books on the MA were by Bruce Tegner.

Judo, and Self Defense.

I can say, that after reading his books back when I was 8 started the real fire to train. Well that and getting my assed kicked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2004 4:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i still have ALL of tegner's books and quite a few articles
    16 years till retirement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 7:09pm

Style: Yin Ten Do / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's really interesting... I found an old paperback Tai Chi and Kung Fu book (Chinese Karate and Exercices) in my grampa's shack/garage (it was my uncles probably before I was born.

I mentioned his (Bruce Tegner) name to the Shaolin Kenpo guys in the "United Martial Arts Studios of Self Defence" or whatever's dojo and they thought I ment Bruce Lee. They do a lot of cardio kickboxing and teach a lot of retarded kids how to fight with exotic shaolin weaponry.

And that's the truth.

I might try and read some of his other (better) books... I kinda skimmed through most of the book. (I skipped over kata forms and whatnot)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 7:35pm

Style: Yin Ten Do / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that there are so much better martial artists in San Diego than I think considering we have an olympic training center out here in Chula Vista and of course Frank Shamrock lives here I think (my sister is a friend of his son and I met him there is no doubt the resemblance, physical ability, and some traits is enough to convince me)

The martial arts "Blue Dragon Karate" school that I have my eyes on almost brought tears of joy to my eyes as I see the kids class doing groundfighting and I hear a few "ows" and I see the head man correcting this kid's armbar as it was incorrect and sorta scolding the kid's partner who wasn't tapping and later briefly lecturing the class that saying "ow" means stop and that you are tapping too late if it hurts. Not to mention of all things it is indeed a karate school that I am thinking of going to. Of course I will have to check his resume (I am going to check his training with Frank Shamrock and the judo olympian first and if I get good results well ^_^).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2004 9:32pm

Style: jukado

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Tegner

My name is Bob Rosenbaum, I'm a black belt in jukado self-defense from Bruce Tegner, i trained with Bruce from 1959 till he closed his school in 1967, and stayed in touch till his death in 1985. Bruce was a black belt in judo and was the Calif. state judo champion at 17, he than retired from competition. to concentrate on teaching. both of his parents were black belts in judo in an era when judo was not just the sport , but a total martial arts system, think atemi waza/ karate, jiu jitsu/aikido, and self-defense, think world war II, close combat. he had a school in Hollywood ca. then in 1959 he started writing martial arts training books, with to goal of introducing martial arts and self-defense to the general public, not just the few who wanted to make m/a their life. if you read the judo/karate and self-defense books, you'll see that what was written is still valid to this day, the aikido and kung fu books used his name but the work that was shown was done by individuals with rank in those arts.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast