Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
    Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good Kempo History Site

http://hokkien.uuft.org/history.html

It repeats the Mitose claim about his geneology which has been pretty well discredited. But it has some good stuff on Kajukenbo and Joe Emperado's murder.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Be Happy
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whats with the history of Joe Emperado's murder?
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It tore up Kajukenbo/Kempo for years. He and his brother, Adriano, were black belts under Chow(when Parker was a green belt I understand), having followed him when he created his own school (previously having been with Mitose). Walter Godin was blamed by many for 'letting' Joe die in the attack. Godin wrote a book that has not been published that he said will explain all. The tradition of body guarding the top people and 'guarding' the doors at the start and end of Hawaiian Kempo styles comes largely from this murder.

Adriano, by the way, is not often credited for it, but he was a big influence in introducing Escrima to western martial arts.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    shorin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question:

Why do they call it Chinese Kempo and not Chuan Fa?

edit: forgot my question mark :P

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because Gab they're two different arts. When the term Kempo is used it usually means its gone through the evolution of Japan and then America.

American Kenpo usually means Parker influence.

Japanese Kempo usually means Shorin Ryu or something along this lineage.

Chinese Kempo is usually a failed attempt to reclaim the original "Chuan fa" flavor.

IMO Kempo is the most fucked system because they don't know if they're coming or going. I think that's why a lot of Kempoist I come across are outright bitter when you talk about the history.

Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Good Kempo History Site

Originally posted by patfromlogan
    http://hokkien.uuft.org/history.html

It repeats the Mitose claim about his geneology which has been pretty well discredited. But it has some good stuff on Kajukenbo and Joe Emperado's murder.
    How has it been discredited?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Style
    Shi Ja Quan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How come most Kenpo guys get fat?
    Parker and Speakman for example.

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "How come most Kenpo guys get fat?
    Parker and Speakman for example."

This situation is the result of overeating.:D

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah. supporting member
    Style
    Buffalo Wing Chun
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omega, damn good post, damn good :)
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by omega
    Because Gab they're two different arts. When the term Kempo is used it usually means its gone through the evolution of Japan and then America.

American Kenpo usually means Parker influence.

Japanese Kempo usually means Shorin Ryu or something along this lineage.

Chinese Kempo is usually a failed attempt to reclaim the original "Chuan fa" flavor.

IMO Kempo is the most fucked system because they don't know if they're coming or going. I think that's why a lot of Kempoist I come across are outright bitter when you talk about the history.
    The primary reason is because Mitose was Japanese and martial arts in China were referred to as "Ch'uan-fa" meaning "fist law". The Japanese pronounce these same written characters "KENPO" -- or "KEMPO". The original art taught by Mitose in Hawaii was called "Kenpo Jiu-jitsu." Mitose was IMO reacting to anti-Japanese prejudice in emphasizing Chinese arts rather than Japanese. James Mitose also called his family art Kosho Ryu Kempo.

I don't know any Kempo practitioners who are "bitter," the ones I know are proud of their heritage. The style is a blend of Chinese, Japanese, Hawaiian, Filipino, and American. Most of the systems that are not in Parker lineage like Kajukenbo, Chinese Kempo, Universal Kempo, the various Hawaiian Kempo schools (many styles in that category, some like Liddell's call their system a Hawaiian Kempo style and it seems to be getting more acceptance as more people learn the history of Kempo and learn it is really from Hawaii) seem to be more alike in attitude and training than the Parker schools. **** that's not clear, but it's too late to re write!

It is actually rather confusing, however. That Mitose probably learned Okinawan Karate from Chogin Mayagi is even debated and to make matters worse: "In 1934, before Mitose's return to the United States [Hawaii], the term Kempo-Karate was first used. In an issue of Yoen Jiho Sha newspaper was advertising a visit by Chogun Miyagi, a famous karateka and founder of Goju Ryu Karate Do, to the island of Hawaii. The use of the two terms is under speculation. Some suspect it was simply an advertising scheme while others believe that Chogun Miyagi's Goju Ryu was actually a pure form of Kempo, and that the term karate was simply more well known."
    Hmmmm

What we do know is that William "Thunderbolt" Chow, Mitose's student for several years, was the most important figure in the development of kempo. It is not generally known that he NEVER did any formal kata. His kata were self-defense techniques and drills. He was said to have an amazing ability to learn, memorize, and connect defense techniques. None of his students stayed with him very long, though. Known as a martial arts master (Professor is a term given to various martial artists, but during his life in Hawaii Professor meant William Chow), he was a warrior rather than a general. He was known as a great martial artist, one who fought countless street fights, both in Palama with locals, and down on Hotel Street (red light) with sailors. Three of his brothers (he had 15 siblings) also taught martial arts, which would indicate the type of culture and family he came from.

He was part Hawaiian, Pakistani, and Chinese. An uneducated lower class mixed race from a large dysfunctional family. He wouldn't have studied or learned or had the ability to analyze the historical significances of his martial art heritage. And probably could have cared less.

Chow's students, who all left him after a while, were the ones who made the Kempo systems. (The one exception would be Castro and family, who had Chow live with them in the early 80's in San Francisco). It was William Chow who coined the term "Kenpo Karate" to distinguish his system from James Mitoses Kenpo Jiu-jitsu, although both styles were similar. William Chow then took the title "Professor" and renamed his system Go-Shinjitsu. Some twenty years later, William Chow renamed his system "Chinese Kempo of Kara-Ho Karate."

Oh, and by the way, Jamoke (who to my knowledge never reads this history stuff) is out of Villari's Kempo, which is out of Kajukenbo and since Iíve studied Kajukenbo and Chinese Kempo I know all Jamokeís techniques!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last