1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Which Book Next?

    OK, I've finished up Well's (and am in the middle of a fencing text for a friend) but which should I do next? Here are the options.

    How to Box by Frank Tousey (late 1800's)

    The Science of Wrestling and the Art of Jiu Jitsu by Earl Liederman (1926)

    Spalding's Boxing by James Sullivan (1896)

    The Police Gazette's "Boxing" (late 1800, ims)

    I've also bid on "Bag Punching" (1895) but I won't know if I win for a few days yet.

    Whatdaya think? Lots of boxing but only one wrestling for the moment.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  2. #2
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about a reprint of Percy Longhurst's "Jiujitsu and Other Methods of Self Defence"? Early editions (photos rather than the line drawings that appeared in the later editions) are hard to come by and it's a good primer on eclectic boxing/savate/stick/jujitsu/wrestling, so might have some cross-over appeal.

  3. #3
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd be most interested to see the Liederman book, but will be overjoyed (as usual) to be blessed with any of your work!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    How about a reprint of Percy Longhurst's "Jiujitsu and Other Methods of Self Defence"? Early editions (photos rather than the line drawings that appeared in the later editions) are hard to come by and it's a good primer on eclectic boxing/savate/stick/jujitsu/wrestling, so might have some cross-over appeal.
    Well, that's a good one, true enough.

    I'd just have to get a hold of a copy or have someone loan me one, or (as has happened for some others) send me scans.

    At the moment, I don't have a personal copy and I don't trust ILL to be specific about publication year (if they can even get a copy at all). I guess, right now, I'll have to depend on someone else to loan or scan for me. :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  5. #5
    misanthropic777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    233
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Well, that's a good one, true enough.

    I'd just have to get a hold of a copy or have someone loan me one, or (as has happened for some others) send me scans.

    At the moment, I don't have a personal copy and I don't trust ILL to be specific about publication year (if they can even get a copy at all). I guess, right now, I'll have to depend on someone else to loan or scan for me. :)

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    I'll look around for a copy, Kirk.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,535
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    I'd be most interested to see the Liederman book, but will be overjoyed (as usual) to be blessed with any of your work!
    I second PSB. JJ would be great but chuffed with anything you offer.

    NB "Chuffed" is a term of delight in Merrie England...:-)

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I won the Bag Punching and also Fox's "Naval Exercises."

    They look, from the photos, like they're in rough but usable shape; Fragile and well worn but intact.

    Don't know about the condition of Tousey's manual yet.

    Looks like people are leaning toward Leiderman's wrestling and JJ manual.

    It's gonna be a big file because the book is heavy on photos.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    964
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, got the book in the mail.

    Wow, it's in rough shape.

    The paper is so aged and fragile that both the front cover and the back cover have separated at the bend not at the spine. The paper is an orange brown color from aging.

    I've been using a scanner to snag images but I may need to build a photo stand for this one, if it will even stand up to THAT.

    I suppose that the fact that a 130 year old Chap Book (read "cheaply made") even survived this long is impressive, but still.

    I've never attempted to work with a book in this degraded a state. Wish me luck.

    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO