Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/25/2009 12:08am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    It also works for the Chinese. :smile: This is an old-school CMA punch ("long arm") that shows up in fights under sanshou rules, where it's used in the same manner and for the same purposes outlined by Steve and Serge above.

I've also recently seen it demonstrated in a (really good) book on winning daido juku techniques that one of the Belgian TD participants showed me.

Steve: the version Mr Bodycomb demonstrates in the original video seems more "elbowy" than what I'm used to seeing; intentional?
    I always stress bending of the elbow so you don't accidentally armbar yourself.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Posted On:
    10/25/2009 9:57am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    I always stress bending of the elbow so you don't accidentally armbar yourself.
    I've always seen it with some elbow bend, but usually not with so much elbow flip at the very end of the motion. I'd love to get the full sambo scoop on this strike at the next TD so I can compare it with other flavors.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    10/25/2009 6:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny thing is that I can almost beat anyone on that bar punching measurment machine thingy with this punch...LOL. I know a few of my guys who use this punch and will generally best a straight cross. Not a scientific measure my any means, just a funny bit of fact.
    If I may ask, how proficent do you think you and your students are with this punch compared to the "regular" punches?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 8:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so is tehre any actual advantage to the hand being turned over as a strike or is it just a matter of preference?.. it doesn't look alot different to how I throw an overhand

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    If I may ask, how proficent do you think you and your students are with this punch compared to the "regular" punches?
    Like all techniques, it depends on the student. I will tell you that we train "conventional" striking quite a bit and that casting is only one of several strikes people learn. Some students gravitate towards it, others do not.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 10:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    so is tehre any actual advantage to the hand being turned over as a strike or is it just a matter of preference?.. it doesn't look alot different to how I throw an overhand
    One advantage is in follow up gripping and driving through ones cover into clinches. It is quite different than a conventional overhand.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 10:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - Henderson knock out
    The angle is slightly different but the fist comes pretty much down the pipe, and hits similarly. You can overhand right to setup a clinch, or in fact any punch with a circular trajectory could be used.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    11/06/2009 4:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Rugby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The op's video mentions that if they move in, it can give good position for grappling, especially grabbing the gi/jacket thingy. would it have any grappling use sans gi? it seems the kind of standing headlock it gives you could transition to a clinch, but i don't know. anyone ever used it/seen it used without a gi to initiate a clinch/throw?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 6:55pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast