Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 12:40pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    so can anyone else apart from fedor make that punch so powerful with the thumb down? I've always used a kind of overhand right of that description but if I put the thumb down it just feels unnatural
    Vochanchyn

YouTube - Igor Vovchanchyn KOs
    Last edited by sambosteve; 10/23/2009 12:44pm at .
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it only works for russians?

JK.

Vovchanchyn has fought some big dudes, wow.

I'm intrigued by this punch. I can see the advantage it has as a setup for entering the grappling range, and the deceptiveness of its trajectory.

But honestly I'm not sure it is in itself more or even as powerful than your regular cross, overhand or hook.

It is nice to have in your arsenal, anyway.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    But honestly I'm not sure it is in itself more or even as powerful than your regular cross, overhand or hook.
    Funny thing is that I can almost beat anyone on that bar punching measurment machine thingy with this punch...LOL. I know a few of my guys who use this punch and will generally best a straight cross. Not a scientific measure my any means, just a funny bit of fact.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JK.

Vovchanchyn has fought some big dudes, wow.

I'm intrigued by this punch. I can see the advantage it has as a setup for entering the grappling range, and the deceptiveness of its trajectory.

It is nice to have in your arsenal, anyway.
    I would add that the most "powerful" does not matter if you hit the guy on the right spot :)

Also, you will see it more in eastern block guys because it is a more common style of stiking there.

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 10:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It really depends on your own comfort with throwing the punch. Alot of its power comes from above the hips; you can see times when Fedor's lead leg is almost locked straight. This is also why it makes a great punch for ground&pounding, you no longer have any leg drive from kneeling.

Its not a "great" ko punch because you mostly hit the top of the head so its hard to get the head to turn/snap or to land on the jaw. But, as you see, it is very easy to amass a flurry of very hard strikes and advance on your opponent.

As adjustments, you see Vov KO'ing dudes who are taller than him and Fedor working a lower angle to go after the chin. Its reckless, brave fighting, which works very well for Russkies...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/23/2009 11:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve.
    Thanks for making this video.
    I had been pestering Serge about this about a year or so ago when he mentioned this.
    He tried finding a demo of it on YouTube but to no avail.

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 2:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm always on the fence about posting videos when here are so many others out there better than me or have put it to a much higher standard (like fighting in Japan) But over the past three years, I've put it of work into developing the Russian hook&etc

I say this to emphasize that it's not just some hat-trick, it takes specific training and application. Much like how I thought I could throw a roundhouse kick, that is until I trained with the MT guys@Cheetah's.

This sort of punching is extremely effectve but takes time to learn. As does an effective jab. We're not chain-punching thru the centerline here, but learning a specific mechanic. The angles are different, but if you look at the moment the punch connects, you'll see the same posture as with any proper strike.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 9:32am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also works for the Chinese. :smile: This is an old-school CMA punch ("long arm") that shows up in fights under sanshou rules, where it's used in the same manner and for the same purposes outlined by Steve and Serge above.

I've also recently seen it demonstrated in a (really good) book on winning daido juku techniques that one of the Belgian TD participants showed me.

Steve: the version Mr Bodycomb demonstrates in the original video seems more "elbowy" than what I'm used to seeing; intentional?
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 10:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this the fabled "Russian hook" people speak of from Russian boxing? If so, it's apparently a general Russian technique rather than a sambo thing.

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 11:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Is this the fabled "Russian hook" people speak of from Russian boxing? If so, it's apparently a general Russian technique rather than a sambo thing.
    In Soviet Russia....ahhh, never mind!

Monsieur Rusher, it is more elbowy. Like a pitcher dropping down during his windup then snapping his arm back up for the delivery of the throw; it loads the serratus and keeps the shoulder connected so that it doesn't turn into an arm punch.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast