Page 3 of 18 First 123456713 ... Last
    Style
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing
    PDS Rifles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snake,
    A-fucking men.
    I am buying you a beer for posting that if you ever come visit this town.

Style
    Taijiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Roy Nelson is going to beat the **** out of all of us, isn't he?

Style
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A civil rights organization? They're about as much of a civil rights organization as NAMBLA. **** them...

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Fat people are the same way in some respects. Burdening us all. Taking seats away in airplanes. Smelling. Sure, some outliers who probably find it much harder to get unfat. ex: people on depression meds for a genuine problem, whose side effects are increased appetite. things like that. But if people are just lazy, **** them. Thanks for making all of our shoulders heavier.
    I always hate it when I go into the grocery store, Target, etc., and see a disabled person having to either struggle to make their way around the store, or have to wait to shop because some lazy fat ass took the automated scooter. They were put in stores for the physicaly handy caped, NOT for fat slops of **** who are too lazy to walk to 30 feet to the twinkies.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clearly, and in many more ways than just obesity, people have lost their sense of shame. You can tell just by looking around you.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    As a libertarian I'm terrified of the eventuality that under a universal healthcare system, our government will have an implicit mandate to regulate everything we eat.

I feel the solution to the obesity problem is 50% education, 50% relentless application of negative social pressure (ie. shame).
    I don't think the government is ever going to regulate what we can or can't eat and how much of it. But how else are you going to educate adults if you don't attach a warning on a food that significantly raises heart disease? You can put more emphasis on educating healthy eating and exercise. Maybe more education on it, and the latest information, but that's still only going to be taught to kids in school.

Negative social pressure won't work anymore. People being obese are quickly becoming the majority. I can't source this because I heard this in conversation somewhere or on the news, that 67 percent of people are either overweight or obese. Considering most American states have an obesity level of 20 to 30 percent of their population. I wouldn't say that's too far off or wrong.

But at the same time this is based on the BMI, and if you put Brock Lesnar's stats into a BMI calculator he would be considered really obese, even if you just use 265.

This is going to be a much harder problem to solve in the future when it becomes more genetic, I think.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a few interesting points mentioned about public education & school pe programs. Let me share a little about my personal expierence. Currently im 25 and in great shape. I've never been big or fat but when I was younger I was a "skinny fat kid" basically a pantywaist, not fat but weak unable to do a pullup and maybe a few pushups at best (i'm sure a few guys out there know what I mean).

Wonder why there are so many fatties? Everyone knows how great the Florida public school system is right? When I was in elementary school we spent quite a bit of time in PE learning f*ing line dances like the electric slide, the boot scootin' boogey, achy breaky heart, square dancing and more i'm sure I can't remember. What the hell was that? Line Dancing, how physical is that? It sucked, even as a 4th grader I thought it was gay. Outside of elementary school we played some sports. The coaches never explained rules we just kind of played on our own. Sometimes in middleschool we did laps around the track at our own pace. I made some progress but for the most part fat kids stayed fat and the others made a little progress. Even highschool weightlifitng sucked. There was little explaination for anyting just "lift this today"- blah blah- "by the end of the semester you should be stronger"- blah blah.

I think public school from an early age should introduce children in different types of exercise that they will be able to contine as an adult (ex no or much less hopscotch, dodgeball,tetherball). and educate young adult about what to eat and how to create their own workouts. By high school students should have a basic idea of what they like and how to use it to stay healthy. Of course that will never happen. Big companies make way too much money off the fatties (conspiracy theorist alert!)

One final note: As student in the medical field i'd say the vast majority of patients I see are fat, approx. 85-90%. As a result due to larger size, their health suffers, they require more medication in many cases (w/ higher probabikity for negative side effects) and diagnostic procedures such as xray or CT reqiure higher radiation dosage.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 10/21/2009 10:15pm at .

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be a chubby kid, and guess what came junior year in highschool I went to a MMA gym started BJJ, running, and doing pullups/pushups. Now holy **** I used to weight 190lbs now I walk around at 154lbs. Get over it, eat right, go for a fucking run. Pick up a physical hobby like marathon running, tennis, BJJ, Judo, Weight lifting, boxing, soccer, or any physical activity that raises your heart rate above 110.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    I don't think the government is ever going to regulate what we can or can't eat and how much of it. But how else are you going to educate adults if you don't attach a warning on a food that significantly raises heart disease?

More prominent nutritional info?

Not in to excessive government regulation either, but I can't help but notice that America's obesity problem is increasing along with the consumption of restaurant meals and other types of prepared foods -- which, unlike yogurt or cereal, do not have nutritional information readily available at point-of-purchase.

Style
    Bas Rutten tapes
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This. DBOTM. IS. AWESOME. I work as a psychologist in hospital primary care, and half of the damn job is helping people lose weight for health reasons. It's ridiculous. We're all going to die of diabetes, heart attack, stroke, or just from getting to out of shape to make it to the phone or fridge. And everyone who comes in to get help acts like WE are jerks for expecting them to like, have to do something in order to improve their health (isn't there a surgery or pill that can just take care of this? WAAAAAAH! I'm a victim.) Granted, some individuals have legitimate medical reasons for becoming obese, but not like, half of the US population. I'm technically like 15 pounds overweight. Guess what, it's my fucking fault!

Bravo Phrost! Bravo!

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when i was in high school we had mandatory daily PE. pick your sport every six weeks, but you had to do it. this also included one section a year being "fitness education". basically a book class about nutrition and exercise science.

monday wedensday and friday we had "contract activity" (team sports or extra curricular club) followed by "aerobic activity" (running club, step class, power walk, or cross country team)

a lot of people showed up to my school with weight issues, but by the end of an academic year, they were leaps and bounds better off.

because of this activity level, keep in mind i'm a huge fucking nerd and should by all rational thought be weak and fat due to my love of internet and D&D sessions, i feel ashamed to have a 36 inch waist. i'm nearly 6 1/2 feet tall and i'm ashamed of pants that most would consider a regular size. my fiance and i committed ourselves to quit smoking and gained weight in the process, and now we are in the gym 4 times a week minimum to work it off.

what the **** is wrong with the rest of the nation that they feel obesity is totally uncontrollable and physical activity is for "fitness freaks".

the fit are freaks and the morbidly obese are normal? bizzaro world is bizzaro.

Page 3 of 18 First 123456713 ... Last