Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:51am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post

It's called "controlled breathing". Even fighters with rifles use it.
    And leverage! And visualization! And relaxation!

What about formal researchers/scholars who train against non-cooperative sparring partners. There is at least one on this site. And are you really claiming that any forms based training is ineffective when introduced into a non-cooperative sparring environment?
    Cosigned.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 11:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP: look up "hoplology" and get back to me.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since fighting is an activity easily practiced with minimal equipment for little-to-no cost I find it difficult to see why any non-disabled 'researchers' wouldn't hugely value the insights gained by actually doing it.

Unless they're just cowards and/or fantasists of course.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 2:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As has already been said, the fighter/researcher distinction is unhelpful and misleading. What the OP calls a "researcher" is really just someone training poorly, with less useful knowledge and experience than those he classes as "fighter." Why dress up bad training with fancy titles? Though if we're going to throw around the term fighter, I'd reserve that for people who actually fight in competition, as opposed to a hobbyist like me who trains plenty live at bjj each week but isn't going to be stepping into a cage or ring anytime soon.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    Ah ****, you said the B word. Now we're going to have to nut riders in here rambling about him being a better fighter than Muhammed Ali and how he was the forefather of MMA.
    I am currently training the little known Bruce Lee "One Nut Punch" technique

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fsx View Post
    Hello everyone!
    Hi.

Even if I am a little scared about posting outside Newbietown
    You should be with the thoughts you expouse

A lot of posts I have read in this great community consider the "full contact spar" as the final proof that the martial artist is a martial artist, as martial arts are about fighting. (heh)
    What else is there for a MARTIAL art?

But the oriental heritage transmitted also many forms, as kata, poomse, tao, and so on,
    Are you sure about the heritage stuff or are you maiking it up to be a perceived TMA versus MMA flame war? Study your history of TMAs better before posting again

so there are many dojos where these are performed and considered as the true spirit of martial arts, either in a preordinated sequence of movements against an invisible opponent or a predetermined attack/defense with a cooperating partner.
    Remember, all martial arts were invented for fighting. If it is not used for fighting, it is not a martial art. Too many people have McDojoized the MA to turn them into palataple past times. Also, you have many of us Westerners raping the Asian culture trying to create our own MA.

if form-based training is ineffective against non-cooperative sparring training, why not creating a distinction between formal researchers/scholars and fighters?
    Because it is a alse dichotomy. Ih they are a researcher/scholar, they will know that MA are for fighting and should be tested for such.

Isn't it like the difference between studying history for personal interest versus enlisting in an ongoing war?
    Now that makes no sense. How is a war and studying history even remotely similar?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 7:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nifoc: If you state that what you are doing is not Martial Arts, and instead practice qigong or "historical reenactment" (or LARP), then I doubt anyone on this site will give a **** about what you do.
    Really I was just talking in general. Probably nobody cares about what I do anyway, it's that I do care about what I can learn and understand better here.

BadUglyMagic: Are you really asking for support to say that asian martial arts without alive training/sparring/practical real competition are equal to MMA of MuayThai, kickboxing, wrestling, and jits?
    Not at all. I am saying just the opposite.

BadUglyMagic: And are you really claiming that any forms based training is ineffective when introduced into a non-cooperative sparring environment?
    It was only a question, based on the answers I received in an earlier post.

1point2: look up "hoplology" and get back to me.
    Thanks a lot, I didn't knew that at all. I found many websites about that and it's very interesting.

Boondog: Are you sure about the heritage stuff or are you maiking it up to be a perceived TMA versus MMA flame war? Study your history of TMAs better before posting again
    What I have been taught by my former TKD instructor is that forms have been made by the old practitioners to "sum up" certain type of techniques, remember techniques and train those techniques.
    I didn't want to set a flame war and I will follow your advice.

Boondog: Now that makes no sense. How is a war and studying history even remotely similar?
    Of course they are not similar at all. I was trying to make a comparison between formal study and actual application.

Thanks again 1point2 for the "hoplology" thing!

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 1:31am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you visited the Western Martial Art sub forum, its basically about LARPing as knights and ****, with no pretext that HEMA is T3h D34D3ly, just that its fun as hell.
    (but so beats fencing :) )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 2:19am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I consider myself to be more of a martial scholar than a martial artist, but that has more to do with my intent/approach to the martial arts (more for learning than being technically refined.)

I don't think that this distinction has anything to do with my ability to fight, though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12