ENERGY MAY BE DEVELOPED BY
    MEANS OF THE PRACTICE OF
    BOXING
    BY
    BOMBARDIER BILLY WELLS

The eBook download is, as always, free.

http://www.lulu.com/content/paperbac...energy/7810249

Blurb:
    Writing in 1923, two years before he retired from the ring, "Bombardier" Billy Wells, penned "Physical Energy."

In his book, Wells, British Champion from 1911 to 1919, describes his method of Physical Culture, focusing on Boxing as the means. In it, he builds his case for why his method is superior to previous methods of Physical Culture, explains what he believes to be the primary ingredient of health, "nervous energy," describes how lack of "nervous energy" due to poor, ineffective, or outdated Physical Culture methods create or allow illnesses ranging from "neurasthenia" to anemia, gout, and even "Incipient Tuberculosis." All of which, and more, may be cured by the application of his Physical Culture method. Not only that, use of his method will promote intelligence, he claims, due to the fact that "nerve energy" is a primary component of intellect and creativity.

The original book is clearly intended for an upscale audience with heavy weight, high rag, paper and artist attributed photographs of the "Bombardier" himself posing in the manner of a greek god, in the buff, complete with a fig leaf. This book offers an absolutely fascinating and priceless look at theories of health and fitness in the early 1920's.
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! Will download when I get home.

I've gotta ask, where do you get all these old books? Inherit a library or something?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 7:28pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    I've gotta ask, where do you get all these old books? Inherit a library or something?
    Some I buy, like this one, some are given to me, like Hackenschmidt, some are loaned from friends, like Doran's manual, and some I get through ILL and the like, such as Archery, Fencing, and Broadsword. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great piece of historical work there. Thanks for sharing

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 7:49am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    Some I buy, like this one, some are given to me, like Hackenschmidt, some are loaned from friends, like Doran's manual, and some I get through ILL and the like, such as Archery, Fencing, and Broadsword. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Kirk
    Many thanks for sharing. You are, sir, a Gentleman.

BTW, I saw the Gold (yes, GOLD) Belt presented to him and now in the Royal Artillery Museum, formerly at Woolwich (where I saw it) now probably at Larkhill as the Gunners have since moved out of Woolwich.

Though the Guide brought it to our attention, only I knew about him, so I gave them a quick outline (anything to help).

Thanks again