Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:37am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    Anyway, all this talk is just guessing, on my part and on everyone's and that's what I don't like about these subjects. We're one step from being chunners debating how would they do the lap sao on a street fight. Not as low, but dammit, we're near.
    wait, are you hoping for a solution?

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 11:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    wait, are you hoping for a solution?
    No, of course, that's what I dislike about these kinda threads.

And yet, I find myself replying to them anyway.

My take on "street defense" is that it has too many variables, too many things can happen, it is the most open scenario so it is impossible to train with 100% street effectiveness guaranteed.

As I said, the best training will only give you a slight upping in your odds, so why bother?

I don't know if I'm being realist with this, or just plainly pessimist.

What I do know is that I don't care much about the street effectiveness of MAs.

That being said, certain styles are better and blah, blah blah, all the **** we already know and agree upon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 12:29pm

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what about FMA? It has both pragmatism and a bit of mysticism.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 1:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    No, of course, that's what I dislike about these kinda threads.

And yet, I find myself replying to them anyway.

My take on "street defense" is that it has too many variables, too many things can happen, it is the most open scenario so it is impossible to train with 100% street effectiveness guaranteed.

As I said, the best training will only give you a slight upping in your odds, so why bother?
    that's a fact. there is no guarantee of anything. anything can happen. yes, training allows the practitioner to reduce the overwhelming number of variables from infinity to something a little less. i'd call it more than a slight improvement of odds. more training=fewer situations where the practitioner is lost. of no less importance is the fact that the more one trains the less likely one is to engage in foolish blowhardery that could lead to an actual fight, because the very first thing training for fighting does is awaken the practitioner to the forest hiding behind that darn tree.

That being said, certain styles are better and blah, blah blah, all the **** we already know and agree upon.
    yep, it's a big circle jerk. don't be shy. that's what happens when you're just plain right. for us, it's like arguing that the earth is round vs. a bunch of flat-earthers. why can't they see?

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 4:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nohero View Post
    more training=fewer situations where the practitioner is lost. of no less importance is the fact that the more one trains the less likely one is to engage in foolish blowhardery that could lead to an actual fight, because the very first thing training for fighting does is awaken the practitioner to the forest hiding behind that darn tree.
    Should have been more specific, I was referring to the times when "not fighting" is no more an option. Of course there's the issues of awareness, de-escalating, etc. but I meant the times when the other guy is bludgeoning a broken bottle towards you and it's too late to talk your way out of it.

What I mean is I don't think there is a safe way to train both physically and psychologically to turn people into "street badasses".

Under this perspective, even the best MMA training can be some sort of placebo.

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 4:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies Nohero, Lights Out and Kuma.

Nohero, I actually liked your first post in this thread, it made me genuinely laugh out loud. I'm not sure about being one of your favourite posters though; generally all I do is troll foxguitar and post pictures of half naked women.

I couldn't agree more with everyone saying that false confidence gained from training in unrealistic martial arts could be dangerous.

Like Lights Out I'm not really that concerned with training for self defence, I don't go out much anyway so it's not a concern.

Overall I think I now believe in Bullshido's cause even more now. The fact is a lot of the less realistic marital arts market themselves as self defence methods. Even if my little theory is correct and a practitioner can fight off a worthless opponent, it's also possible that that same over confidence could cause someone to think they can fight off a proper aggressor and as a result get themselves seriously hurt, or worse.

If all else fails probably one of the best self defence systems in my opinion is in the clip below. In my opinion training in this would mean less of a chance of developing a false sense of security and confidence while still giving you a reasonable chance of survival.

YouTube - NEW World Record 9.58 100m sprint by Usain Bolt... AMAZING

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 8:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    ... and post pictures of half naked women.
    like i said, favorite.

seriously, and this goes for the last post by lights out, too: no martial art is a panacea. there's always somebody better. training reduces that number of somebodies.

it's common and popular to think that martial arts practitioners are all responsible, good citizens, but i've known two who weren't. one was the cousin of a better-than-decent amateur boxer and spent many rounds sparring with said boxer, but liked to **** with people then mess them up. another was a serious badass fighter who was gainfully employed in 'collections.' i have a bouncer friend who has rumbled in a titty bar with a bunch of bjj players. running across any of these guys in a random altercation would be ugly.

where am i going with this? to lights out's point, yes, in a sense, the placebo effect applies to every art. again, the efficacy of your art, the proof of such efficacy, that is, even of the martial arts we've christened 'effective,' depends upon your opponent. there's always someone better. even if you carry a gun, there's someone who's a better shooter, faster on the draw, more willing to draw, etc. does that mean we should surrender and just pray? pfft, hell no.

i train for enjoyment, but i also enjoy knowing that my training might come in handy one day. against a gun? no. knives, bottles, bats? don't think so. but the drunken clod intent on my wife's sweater at the bar? the screaming idiot parent at my son's soccer game who challenged our coach to fight? the random intoxicated asshole talking **** on the sunny streets of philadelphia? these situations i think i can handle, yet understand how they can spin out of control. that gives me two legs up on the random, untrained idiot i might encounter. i like that. i actively practice de-escalation, and try hard, but if necessary...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 6:50pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heres why I think martial arts help self-defense: the other night we did some padded stick sparring. I went in thinking I would take out everyone and be the baddest ************ there. By the end of the night, lets just say I no longer thought this. My point? When you know what its like to get hit by a resisting opponent constantly, you will prioritize conflict resolution a little higher.

And, if you do get into anything, you already know how to both give and take a punch. Of course, variables like weapons and multiple people throw you off, but I guarantee quality training>no training when it comes to dealing with those things (though of course only if you can't run away and have to fight as a last resort).

Posted On:
    10/22/2009 7:44pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went out in the city last night to see my mates band win a competition. There was a time in my youth when I would welcome trouble, especially in this particular area as it was somewhere where I had stomped, but it wasn't my stomping ground.

I realised on my way to the venue that my youthful "confidence" was arrogance, borne of Muay Thai training and alcoholism. I became acutely aware that I was not invincible; that my training, no matter how much it gave me the upper hand in most altercations, would not be able to defeat multiple (skilled or unskilled) weapon wielding punks. Surprisingly, this realisation filled me with confidence.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123