Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, basically, you went to the trouble of writing a long post filled with arguments, examples, cross-references, etc. just to call martial LARPers "PMS sufferers"?

Years ago I started a thread on how to train the "psychological aspect" of martial arts, but can't be bothered to search for it.

I was curious about if it would be possible to train the mind in a safe environment in order to be more effective in a self-defence situation, so to speak.

I got **** for answers, if I recall correctly.

This thread may have or may not have potential regarding something related to that issue. Will check in a few pages.

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out View Post
    So, basically, you went to the trouble of writing a long post filled with arguments, examples, cross-references, etc. just to call martial LARPers "PMS sufferers"?
    No, the PMS sufferer thing was an after thought.

Years ago I started a thread on how to train the "psychological aspect" of martial arts, but can't be bothered to search for it.

I was curious about if it would be possible to train the mind in a safe environment in order to be more effective in a self-defence situation, so to speak.

I got **** for answers, if I recall correctly.

This thread may have or may not have potential regarding something related to that issue. Will check in a few pages.
    I know how you feel. It's disheartening to take the time to write a long post, try to fill it with examples and such just to see the usual retarded "Iz wasted mah time here!" posts.

I never expected to be told I was right, just some constructive criticism that corrected mistakes, filled in gaps and crap like that.

Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off just writing a badly written wall of text about how Ninjas practising the Chun can one inch punch people to death from the shadows. At least then I might actually get some actual replies.

I have to go to work now, despite the fact I'm not feeling well, but when I get home if I can be arsed I'll explain one of the things that's bothered me for years which contributed to me writing that long arse post.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 5:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'd be better off just writing a badly written wall of text about how Ninjas practising the Chun can one inch punch people to death from the shadows. At least then I might actually get some actual replies.
    Try eloquently, politely and plausibly disproving/debunking aliveness in training. That'll get a few responses.

Jason Brinn tried - but he didn't do very well.

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 5:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's really no surprise that we have so many people on the internet who claim that martial arts like Boxing and MMA aren't martial arts and are inferior to compliant martial arts
    Fixed that for you. We all have stories of meeting some delusional weirdos, but in general I think people IRL on both sides of the TMA/CS divide are somewhat less divided about things than the internet, where everyone is a Kung Fu mastah or cagefighter, would have you believe. You would be surprised at how much less **** people who actually train talk.

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 6:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, I have been losing interest on the "street" application of MAs.

It's been years since I found myself in a situation that could escalate to violence, or tu put it simply, in a situation where I was physically threatened. And even more years since my last fisticuffs encounter.

Not being a paranoid fear mongler, I don't beleive I'm risking my life everytime I walk out the door. Besides, I'm kinda lucky regarding this. Months ago, an acquitance of mine, who had been drinking beer with me, got in a small brawl after coming out of a bar. I wasn't present because I had just left no more than half an hour before to have demi-drunken sex with my then girlfriend.

Also, I don't think there is a training protocol which will give you a 100% guaranteed street effectivity.Even the best training in the world (aliveness, full-contact sparring, regaridng all fight ranges, etc.) can only up a little your chances of getting relatively out of a self-defense confrontation relatively unharmed.

Not that much, really.

But I digress, we were talking about the psychological factors in MA training. Can they be trained? Can you turn a total ***** into a badass killing machine in a safe environment such as a gym/dojo? Does all the psychological hardening that happens through full-contact sparring and fighting in competitions translate into the "street"? Or is the only way getting into fights with all the possible health and legal repercussions?

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's more interesting to me is the possibility of placebo effect in Traditional vs. Modern Medicine, which I think would have very interesting consequences for the Qi/Chi-wielding community.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 9:59am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Solvalou View Post
    I know how you feel. It's disheartening to take the time to write a long post, try to fill it with examples and such just to see the usual retarded "Iz wasted mah time here!" posts.
    now don't be like that. it's a good post with lots of merits. you have some who can't be bothered to read that far (let's pull a statistic out muh ass, ouch, there it is. 99%) and some looking for comedy (let's see, that would be the other 99%). i derailed your thread with the safety stuff (my apologies) because i had no comment of merit to contribute.

I never expected to be told I was right, just some constructive criticism that corrected mistakes, filled in gaps and crap like that.
    i pretty much agree with what you wrote. certainly confidence is required to stand and engage an attacker, whether that confidence proves false or well-founded depends upon the outcome of the fight. the vid of the chunner fighting off the chav in his front yard is another good example: the chav clearly didn't want an actual altercation; he just wanted the chunner to cower. chunner don't cower, and had the confidence to engage. someone with serious intent obviously would have stomped the chunner. christ, he kept his hands folded in front of him almost the whole time the chav was dancing in front of him, cursing and spitting and trying to headbutt. false confidence? yes. but enough in this case. it would be interesting to see what happens the next time the chunner finds himself in a confrontation. will the 'fight' he won reinforce the placebo effect, like a shot of antibiotic on top of the penis-illin he's swallowing?

stop it now. replies consisting of insults and calling into doubt your cognitive abilities are not better than no reply at all. suck it up, dude. you're one of my favorite posters, and (since you're not training at all i feel safe in saying) i'll kick your fucking ass if you go dumb troll on us. i always wanted to see australia...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:06am

Style: blunt trauma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you can actually get to the bottom of this problem by concentrating solely on the confidence of the PMS practitioner. For example, in the first video cited in the OP, A vid we are all too familiar with, the victory came not only from the inflated sense of confidence in the victor, but in the shattered confidence of the punk who had been pushing him around.

Perceived confidence in an opponent can utterly demoralize. Many people have seen martial arts portrayed in the media as granting superhuman abilities, and seeing those "skills" demonstrated will deflate an ego quite rapidly, whether they are valid or not. Note that as soon as Kung-Fool takes his ridiculously ornamental stance, the crowd makes approving noises, and the posture of the punk shrinks almost immediately from aggressive to defensive.

Note also that the practical arts do not have such ornamental displays. The boxer fells one assailant after another, because his skills are far superior - but they keep coming. They keep coming even after he's KTFOed two of them, because they do not perceive a high degree of skill in his boxing stance. It's just a natural fighting posture, simple and effective.

The media conditions most people into thinking of martial artists in a certain way, and some people can use this to their advantage in a psychologically manipulative way. Whether this is done consciously or not is up for debate.

Also, no hero FTW. Apologies if anyone took the above post seriously.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:19am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    Perceived confidence in an opponent can utterly demoralize.

Yes, can.

Maybe your regular thug, gasnta, goon, or whatvere is looking for an easy fight, someone to intimidate to feel superior, macho or whatever.

These kind of idiots may de-inflate if the "victim" suddenly appears to fight back and be serious baout the confrontation. Suddenly, the victim is not a victim, but an opponent, and this is not what these kind of people look for.

But some other times they won't back up just because you showed confidence, and that's when things get dangerous.

Anyway, all this talk is just guessing, on my part and on everyone's and that's what I don't like about these subjects. We're one step from being chunners debating how would they do the lap sao on a street fight. Not as low, but dammit, we're near.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 10:30am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, can.

Maybe your regular thug, gasnta, goon, or whatvere is looking for an easy fight, someone to intimidate to feel superior, macho or whatever.

These kind of idiots may de-inflate if the "victim" suddenly appears to fight back and be serious baout the confrontation. Suddenly, the victim is not a victim, but an opponent, and this is not what these kind of people look for.

But some other times they won't back up just because you showed confidence, and that's when things get dangerous.
    exactly. so we need to think of PMS as your garden-variety multi-vitamin handed out by PMS instructors and swallowed by believers. they think this multi-vitamin will protect them from everything from colds to cancer. we know it's not true, and tell them it's not true, but they keep taking it. now, the punk in the first video is like a cold. he comes along, attacks, and the multi-vitamin does its job. the PMS practitioner sez 'gee, those multis really work' and keeps taking PMS. if he never runs into anything more serious than a punk cold, well, he's fortunate. but the first time the PMS swallower encounters someone who knows something, it's gonna be like hoping a vitamin will cure meningitis.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast