Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 9:42am

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alexander the great was a badass. The more you learn about Richard the Lionheart the less impressive he becomes. He was certainly a tough guy, but he wasn't nearly a great as his hype.

I will say that Richard was supossedly unhorsed in single combat only once in his life. Who managed to knock the lionheart on his ass? William Marshal.

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 1:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the discussion of the origins of "****", my ancient greek professor, who was a serious linguist (our questions about greek words regularly were answered with examples from latin, old german, anglo saxon, sandskrit, and a discussion of the proto-indo-european origins of the word), favored something close to this hypothesis (quoted from wikipedia):

"The word has probable cognates in other Germanic languages, such as German ficken (to ****); Dutch fokken (to breed, to strike, to beget); dialectal Norwegian fukka (to copulate), and dialectal Swedish fokka (to strike, to copulate) and fock (penis).[1] This points to a possible etymology where Common Germanic fuk– comes from an Indo-European root meaning "to strike", cognate with non-Germanic words such as Latin pugnus "fist".[1] By reverse application of Grimm's law, this hypothetical root has the form *pug–"

I dig this line, as it suggests men have been walking around saying "I'd hit that!" for thousands of years.

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 2:42pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
    André the Giant? Charles de Gaulle? Charlemagne? Charles Martel?
    Charlemagne was born in Herstall = Belgique Plus probably spoke a Frankonian dialect an antecendent language of Dutch or Vlamse.
    Last edited by adouglasmhor; 10/24/2009 2:45pm at .

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 2:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan View Post
    I'm not sure which Claymore would be more badass: The sword, the decommissioned WWI destroyer, or the antipersonnel mine which hadn't been invented yet.
    In the British army claymore means a highland broadsword (or the anti personnel mine with front toward enemy on it).

Last edited by adouglasmhor; 10/24/2009 2:57pm at .

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Re4 View Post
    yes. We don't know, in fact it's one of the oldest non-biblical words in use by modern english, and despite numerous tales of its origin, no one knows for sure when people started saying it or why.

Also, the origin of the middle finger predates the UK 'Bowfingers' gesture, because people in ancient rome were flipping each other the bird.
    It's related to the Irish Feck and German Ficke though isn't it? So before the German and English languages split from the tree.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2009 5:08pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so we can't choose guys like Zaraki Kenpachi, but I think at least referencing this guy's similarity to another badass nearly as well known in the genre would be acceptable, yes?

Posted On:
    10/26/2009 9:33am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
    Good write up on Mad Jack, Phrost. I wonder what those Germans thought when they saw some guy with pipes and a Claymore coming at them?
    I was once told that in WW1, the German mis-read the approaching Scots Infantry wearing kilts for a "ladies" battalion. They soon learned their mistake and allegedly forever afterwards referred to them - with a shudder - as "Ladies from Hell".

Undoubtedly a Fearsome Experience.

Changing tack, slightly, and tipping a hat toward India. Take a look at the fightingest Man in the British Army, Hope Grant, later Maj Gen Sir James Hope Grant. Asserted to be an expert in every type of hand weapon. Notably also for an almost total lack of communication (not so unusual). Man Of Action rather than Man of Words. FM Sir Garnet Wolsely (another man of lunatic bravery and major architect of Cardwell's Reforms of the 19th C. British Army, said, "Everything I learned of war, I learned from Hope Grant".

Brig John Nicholson. Absolutely Barking. Very much in the style of Robert Blair Mayne.

gotta go - work calls.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    10/27/2009 9:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
    Okay, so we can't choose guys like Zaraki Kenpachi, but I think at least referencing this guy's similarity to another badass nearly as well known in the genre would be acceptable, yes?
    No. No, it wouldn't. Usually I'd be swearing at you by now, but I haven't been feeling well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Remember it's the (British) gift for understatement you have to keep in Mind when reading of these characters. "Things got a bit sticky" usually means there was Blood on The Walls...
    Yup... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1285708.stm

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/08/2009 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropwr View Post
    andrew jackson was hardcore bad ass for sure
    And a war criminal.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/08/2009 7:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    i'm waiting for a french badass of the month...

lolol!

get it?
    Would sacking Rome count as badassery? If so, I nominate Brennus. True, he was a Gaul long before the Franks conquered the pussified Romanized Gauls, but since most French probably have more Gaulic DNA than Frank, he might count.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast