Posted On:
    10/16/2009 10:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKTC?? Need advice/insight on dojang credibility/quality

Hey all,

Have spent the past week or so researching potential dojangs in my area. Websites and everything don't mean much, so I phoned the dojang or visited each site.

This dojang seemed to be the most "legit" feeling out of the ones I visit. The master was modest and humble, and he taught most of the classes. It's WTF style as well (been reading on this site all about "McDojos".)

Before I post tuition payment I wanted to run things by you guys real quick to see if anyone has either heard of this school (or the master) AND/OR find any of the following a "red flag".

Some stuff I wanted to run by you guys

1) There isn't a contract, but you do have to pay on a quarterly (3 months) basis.
    2) Registration/Initiation Fee (including the uniform) is $75
    3) Testing isn't done by skill-based, or monthly/bi monthly. Belt testing is held for all colored belts (non BB) every 3 months.
    4) Sparring class is restricted to green belts or higher.
    5) There are 10 belt colors before 1st Dan BB.
    6) Competition Sparring Class is a additional $1500/year.

Are any of those "red flags?" Has anyone read anything or heard anything credible about this dojang?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Oh and the website to the school is http://www.jktc.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 11:49pm

Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok starrider from what the website and what you've said it looks like a very legit school. The only red flag I see is the additional cost of the competition sparring class or the world/national team sparring class, because WTF sparring is competition sparring. I suggest you find out how many of the people in these classes are actually on the world or national teams, becuase that seems a little fishy to me.

good luck KD

Posted On:
    10/17/2009 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Okinawan Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems a little steep. I'd check and see how long the school has been in business, and see if it's the instructor's only job. For some reason or another, instructors who have a "sink or swim" financial investment in their schools tend to cut some corners in quality. I'd also talk to some of the students and see what they think.

I'd probably also find out how long it takes to get a black belt. If he says like, 2-3 years or less, I might be a little apprehensive, but if it's like, 4 to 6 or more, that's a little better. Black belt factories are scary.

What are you looking to get out of the class? Self Defense? Exercise? I can't say much about it, as I haven't been to this particular school, but at first glance, they seem to lean towards tournament-heavy. A lot of the "tournament-heavy" schools I've seen tend to do the whole "tap and slap" point sparring stuff. Could be wrong about this one though, as there are good ones out there.

Anyhow, here's some neat threads/guides that are on this site that have served me pretty well in picking a school:

Picking a School and What to watch out for:

The actual article: Finding a good martial arts school - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Understanding Aliveness:

RATINGS: How Do Aliveness.....does your school look like this? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

School Ratings (Good reference point)

Ratings and You --- Read This Before Posting Your Review. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

I'd also ask the instructor any of your concerns or questions. If he's not up front with you about it, I'd worry. Been to quite a few who were mega-evasive.