Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo-military style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Martial Art sucks

I've titled this threat to get your attention.
    No martial art sucks, yes I said it...no martial art sucks, only instructors of martial arts CAN suck.
    No system is better than any other system, they just have different motivations. I am a taekwondo Instructor. We describe it as the 'Military style' not for any gung-ho reasons but to differentiate it from ITF and WTF styles which have different motivations to us. We teach self-defense first and foremost with an emphasis on powerful technique. We rarely kick above chest height and have a huge amount of hand techniques. WE DO NOT COMPETE as our belief is that it corrupts the teaching of 'SELF DEFENCE' I can kick as high as any competing Taekwondo practitioner but in a self defense situation it is not safe to do so. We teach many joint locks some ground work ( but teach to avoid going to ground ) Sparring is done at full contact but no-one is ever hit because we are taught how to BLOCK correctly, which is the main difference between our Taekwondo school and the competition styles. When where how and why we use the techniques we learn is emphasised once we reach black belt. Colour belts learn the basic techniques and backbelts learn how to use them. I read some of the posts about why people left TKD training and not one reason was because of TKD as a martial art but because of the Instructor. If your Instructor is un enlightened how can his students be. I'll say it again, It's not the martial art that sucks only the Instructor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 4:48pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where have all the good trolls gone?

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 4:56pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    I agree, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer193 View Post
    Sparring is done at full contact but no-one is ever hit because we are taught how to BLOCK correctly,
    That line was pretty funny... or maybe I'm just bored. :toothy3:

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:00pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No martial art sucks, yes I said it...no martial art sucks, only instructors of martial arts CAN suck.
    Yellow bamboo. No one can make it NOT suck

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eudemic View Post
    There are some who thought I was a troll when I came to bullshido looking for answers to a variety of half-formed questions about alive training, grappling, and reality-based (as opposed to theory-based) training. I was not, and because people gave helpful answers (it helped that my first post was in Newbietown), I stuck around and eventually figured it all out.

The link is in my sig.

Anyway, Hammer193, have you ever trained at another school, or checked out another style? I ask because your description of sparring sounds fairly wacky: full contact without contact is oxymoronic.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No system is better than any other system, they just have different motivations. I am a taekwondo Instructor. We describe it as the 'Military style' not for any gung-ho reasons but to differentiate it from ITF and WTF styles which have different motivations to us. We teach self-defense first and foremost with an emphasis on powerful technique. We rarely kick above chest height and have a huge amount of hand techniques. WE DO NOT COMPETE as our belief is that it corrupts the teaching of 'SELF DEFENCE' I can kick as high as any competing Taekwondo practitioner but in a self defense situation it is not safe to do so. We teach many joint locks some ground work ( but teach to avoid going to ground ) Sparring is done at full contact but no-one is ever hit because we are taught how to BLOCK correctly, which is the main difference between our Taekwondo school and the competition styles. When where how and why we use the techniques we learn is emphasised once we reach black belt. Colour belts learn the basic techniques and backbelts learn how to use them. I read some of the posts about why people left TKD training and not one reason was because of TKD as a martial art but because of the Instructor. If your Instructor is un enlightened how can his students be. I'll say it again, It's not the martial art that sucks only the Instructor.
    I did a pretty thorough investigation of this topic a while back, and I can confirm that at least Silat sucks.
    Additionally, research indicates that even when you do them perfectly right and have The Real and The Deadly, Aikido and Ninjutsu also suck pretty hard.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your opinion sucks.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring is done at full contact but no-one is ever hit because we are taught how to BLOCK correctly
    It could also be because you were taught how to strike incorrectly. Just saying.
    For reference, italics are a far more tasteful way to emphasize key words that capital letters, and "no one" does not need to be hyphenated.

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two words.

Kiai jistu.

Great if your opponent is a bell on the other side of your dojo. (fun parlor trick BTW)

Bad if your opponent is actually something capable of attacking you.

Is it really "jitsu" if you can't fight with it?

I.E., sucky martial art.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoonDog View Post
    Yellow bamboo. No one can make it NOT suck
    Yep.

I also challenge anyone here to make Yabusame work effectively on t3h str33tz.
Page 1 of 21 1 234511 ... LastLast