Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 2:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Not even close to a valid comparison. Anderson has cleared out his division, and beaten several notables at 205. And we haven't seen anyone give Anderson trouble.
    i agree with the first part, although hendo worked anderson for the first round in their unification match.
    silva has legitimately lost once in about five and a half years. that's 16-1 if we don't count the Okami DQ, or 14-1 if we don't count the cote/leites debacles.
    take your pick.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 4:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Not even close to a valid comparison. Anderson has cleared out his division, and beaten several notables at 205.
    Correct, no discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by sainthamish View Post
    Shitty comparision....5 title defences to one......Silva already has a legacy, Machidas building his.....
    Correct, Silva has a legacy and will be a hall of famer in the very near future. My point is that Silva's reign is threatened by Belfort, not compare him to Machida.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 8:49am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I felt like giving this thread a minor "bump" or necro, in light of the events of the past year. We still have GSP and Anderson holding their belts, more or less in line with expectations as posted earlier in this thread.

Brock has recovered from a potentially life-threatening illness and submitted Shane Carwin; with Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos/Roy Nelson waiting in the wings for a shot at the HW belt. Perhaps the question of his chin (shots from Carwin, Mir's knee) have been answered and he is still improving. A few posters had projected Brock's championship reign to be the most tenuous.

We will soon have an Edgar vs. Penn II at UFC 118. What do bullies see as the future of lightweight?

Over the months since this thread was lasted posted in, there were two Machida vs. Shogun. Mauricio Rua holds the LHW belt, but is out due to injury. Haven't seen anything on creating an interim belt (Machida vs. Evans?).

Any more predictions on the future of champions?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 10:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    according to the MMAjunkie app on my blackberry an interim title between Machida and Evans is looking more likely as time goes on, and both sides are interested.

Penn should take the belt back no trouble.. Possibly by going back to his roots and looking for a submission as the boxing was difficult to call last time.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 11:17am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HW- I still think Lesnar is the least secure. Carwin nearly killed him, and he'd have learned his lesson on gassing himself out in a rematch. Velasquez and Dos Santos are no joke either, and none of the them are going away anytime soon.

LHW- Machida/Rashad 2 should be fun, but I really wanted to see Shogun defending the belt, maybe even finally get to take on Silva. Machida will probably challenge again soon. Rampage is never going to hold the belt again as long as those three are around. Everyone knows the script to fight him at this point, and now all he's really got is his KO power and his chin.

MW- After Silva crumples up Sonnen and throws him away, the Belfort fight will hopefully finally materialize, but he really doesn't have anyone else who can challenge him at MW. He should either move to LHW permanently or retire.

WW- GSP's combination of talent, freakish genetics, and working his ass off make him pretty much the closest there is to a sure thing in MMA.

LW- Edgar probably won't have the belt for very long, but whoever takes it probably won't either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 1:26pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    MW- After Silva crumples up Sonnen and throws him away, the Belfort fight will hopefully finally materialize, but he really doesn't have anyone else who can challenge him at MW. He should either move to LHW permanently or retire.
    agreed
    :toothy5:

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If BJ does get the belt back (which I don't think is necessarily a sure thing), who else at LW can take it from him? Aside from Edgar, no one else has even come close. I think he's got the best shot at keeping it for many events to come.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    If BJ does get the belt back (which I don't think is necessarily a sure thing), who else at LW can take it from him? Aside from Edgar, no one else has even come close. I think he's got the best shot at keeping it for many events to come.
    Ahem...Jose Aldo

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aldo does best at 145, and that's where he should stay. As I recall, he started out in 155, but didn't do so hot, necessitating the move downwards. Short of Ben Henderson moving to the UFC (or Melendez or Aoki for that matter), the talent pool seems pretty thin.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910