Posted On:
    10/14/2009 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nintai Ryu Aiki Ju-Jitsu teacher in Montreal

Hey there Bullshido,

I'm considering training in Nintai Ryu Aiki Ju-Jitsu with Pascal Serei here in Montreal.

Can I get some impressions from the Bullshido community on the lineage presented on the website and just general thoughts on what is presented there? Much appreciated.

A bit of background. The teacher of the school is the founder of the Nintai Ryu style. This kinda sounds the alarm to me right off the bat, but I'm open to the idea of founding modern ecclectic styles, especially when it is openly stated from the beginning. No false claims to direct ancient lineage that I can see.

The style is presented as a mix of aiki jujitsu, judo, karate, aiki budo and kobudo. While discussing the symbolism of the style's emblem (HERE) they mention judo, Daito Ryu and Yoseikan Budo as influences on the style.

The sensei's credentials appear on the website and seem impressive but I'm not sure really how to judge whether what's listed there is legit.

I've done a little BJJ in the past really enjoyed it but wanted to find some jujutsu more inline with traditional Japanese jujutsu (i.e. including standing techniques & throws) and thought this could be a good option.

Any thoughts on the style and the listed credentials would be much appreciated.

Reference links
    Nintai Ryu Aiki Jujitsu Homepage
    Youtube channel of the school

Ghost of Kawaishi

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 4:57pm

Style: judo, parenting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Serei family are all great martial artists. The father and uncle are 5th or 6th dan judo, direct students of Kawaishi(the major player in French judo). I have done several seminars with Pascal, and was impressed, very fluid and effective moves. Is it actual aiki jutsu? Don't know. Would I train with the Serei family if I was in Montreal? yes.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 7:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great, thanks for the feedback Cdnronin.

Didn't have any specific reason to suspect anything fishy, but was having a little difficulty researching the credentials listed on the site.

Glad to hear some positive feedback. The techniques on the Youtube page seem pretty slick to my noob-ish eyes, I guess I just wanted some confirmation.

Cheers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 1:21pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdnronin View Post
    The Serei family are all great martial artists. The father and uncle are 5th or 6th dan judo, direct students of Kawaishi(the major player in French judo). I have done several seminars with Pascal, and was impressed, very fluid and effective moves. Is it actual aiki jutsu? Don't know. Would I train with the Serei family if I was in Montreal? yes.
    Georges Serei was in some of the photos in Louis Arpin's old book on newaza, the first edition where tachiwaza and newaza were two different books. The name of the work escapes me at the moment.

That being said, as was mentioned, the Sereis are definitively legit. It has always puzzled me though that Serei's academy doesn't do too well in judo shiai. :?

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They probably dont focus on the Judo aspect as a sport, more of a self-defence art. At that point, most of the techniques they may work on are illegal in Judo Competition. I know in our dojo we have some classes that focus on the sport aspect and others that focus on the old jujutsu portion of the art.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts