Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 2:08pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    have you tried figure four grip breaks?

honestly...

i play a spider guard game from in the gi, so if you have questions with grabbing the sleeve, i can help you some.

sounds like you're only talking about fighting for collar grips though. when someone's trying to collargrip me, i go for grip breaks. if i can't get the grip break, i cut an anlge and shoot for under/overs.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 10:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 10:42pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    My next pathetic failure is dealing with people who grab both my sleeves near the wrist then pull some sort of guard (butterfly, closed, de la Riva etc.)...

Besides just not letting someone grab both my sleeves what can I do to break this grip or take advantage of it without breaking it.
    for open guards, i've been having some success with the following pass: opponent has your sleeves. grab one of his, grab same-side pants at the knee, stand out of guard. step in to the outside of the leg you've grabbed, straighten up and yank up on his sleeve and leg. drive knee into belly.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just going to keep posting about my shortcomings RE: Gi Grips and hope people like Coach Josh keep responding.

My next pathetic failure is dealing with people who grab both my sleeves near the wrist then pull some sort of guard (butterfly, closed, de la Riva etc.)

In No-Gi I find this sort of laughable because I can circle my wrists in either direction and then baseball slide into half-guard to start working. However, in Gi this just creates a ridiculously tight grip on my wrist and I get swept really fast.

Besides just not letting someone grab both my sleeves what can I do to break this grip or take advantage of it without breaking it.
    For closed guard, stand up.

For butterfly guard, grab the pant-legs at the inside of their knees.

For De La Riva, I dunno man, I'm bad at passing DLR. I usually play defensive and try to feint them into switching to something else.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/16/2009 11:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When passing De La Riva guard I do one of two things. If he has a deep hook I place my forearms inside his thighs then I use my far arm to keep him from coming up to take my back then I back step into reverse half guard.

Otherwise I try and control the non hooking leg(mostly just to buy time) and then turn my knee out to kill his hook from here you can knee cross/sit into half guard/pass however you want.

Saulo covers both options in better detail in his book.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 7:28pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My problem is when I have someone in my guard and they switch their head to the other side. It is a pretty standard way to neutralize a collar choke before it starts.
    So: closed guard. You're on bottom. You're reaching across your opponent's body to grab his lapel on the opposite side. He ducks down & swims his head under your arm so that your forearm goes from being in front of his neck to laying across the back of his neck.

Is that the situation you're describing?

If that's happening it means you're grip is low or loose, so you're giving slack on the lapel.

I wouldn't consider it the end of the world. He's defending the choke, but he's breaking his own posture to do it. When your opponent ducks his head just buck him forward lock him down & climb your legs. Start working for your kimura/omoplata/arm bar/triangle positions.

It's usually easier to take the pressure the other guy is giving you then it is to fight to stay with the submission they're defending.

You can also take a higher collar grip on the same side (as he ducks) & use that to break him down. Then, if your heart's really set on the collar choke you can dig for your cross grip again once his posture is broken.
    Last edited by SBG-ape; 10/20/2009 7:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2009 11:42pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it opens up a baseball bat choke.

Bait them, let them pass, and choke them.

Works standing as well (if they duck under)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12