Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 12:26am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Actually the only thing you got right in this thread was the fact he was fucked because he was Candian.
    Last edited by marcusdbrutus; 10/15/2009 12:30am at .

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    God I love thread de-rails.

Omega is going to look at this and facepalm. And sigh.

and probably plot ways to beat me up. But I'm ok with that.
    We all read your posts and face palm moose. We all do.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** pulling guard, just start out under side control

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 12:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually the only thing you got right in this thread was the fact he was fucked because he was Candian.
    woo hoo victory!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    We all read your posts and face palm moose. We all do.

I love you too, baby.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honest_truth View Post
    So as a beginner who is trying to get better at methodically getting submissions, what are the general step-by-step concepts / strategies / guidelines you follow when from the bottom.
    That's still really broad, but i'll partially illustrate my process.

Depending on the position of his arms it can be:

closed guard--->break posture--->isolate and extend effected limb--->sub and associated subs (IE armbar to triangle to omoplata) or associated sweep (IE omoplata sweep or triangle with leg underhook)

Or it could be:

opponent's posture--->open guard and establish an upper body grip to neutralize any lower body grip he may have (IE underhooks for butterfly or wrist control for spider/open)--->sweep

Or:

open guard--->hook opponent's leg--->underhook opposite leg and dive under their hips

Or:

opponent stands--->open guard--->weave legs into ankle lock guard--->sweep into pass OR ankle lock OR belly down ankle lock

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 10:13am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    That's still really broad, but i'll partially illustrate my process.

Depending on the position of his arms it can be:

closed guard--->break posture--->isolate and extend effected limb--->sub and associated subs (IE armbar to triangle to omoplata) or associated sweep (IE omoplata sweep or triangle with leg underhook)

Or it could be:

opponent's posture--->open guard and establish an upper body grip to neutralize any lower body grip he may have (IE underhooks for butterfly or wrist control for spider/open)--->sweep

Or:

open guard--->hook opponent's leg--->underhook opposite leg and dive under their hips

Or:

opponent stands--->open guard--->weave legs into ankle lock guard--->sweep into pass OR ankle lock OR belly down ankle lock
    You forgot the part about "Don't get hit"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 11:01am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would add a quick note to the good advice given above. I'm also a beginner (or noob/newb as the kids say) when it comes to BJJ but I've been training long enough to realize one or two things, at least about myself. Whether this applies to you or not, no idea.

One of the first things I had to realize was that I needed to slow my mental process down a bit. My inital instincts when I was on my back in the guard (or anywhere for that matter) were to immediately scramble and do SOMETHING, whether that "something" made any damn sense or not. Why? First, because I didn't (and by a huge margin still don't) know what I was doing so when in an uncomfortable spot I did what I felt most comfortable with...trying to get back to my feet (or knees in this case) and brawl. Second is that I equated being on the bottom as being in a weak position. I'm still working on this mental block. Again, my instincts are to try and get on top because it makes me feel more "in control". Problem is, without throwing punches/elbows I'm not a whole lot better on top then I am on the bottom at this point.

So, knowing that I have huge gaps in my knowledge base I have to take a deep breath, get into a solid guard posture/position and then pick ONE technique to try and do it methodically. I find it too hard at this point to try and think two or three steps down the line or about the whole universe of techniques I could go for. In other words, I have to try and go through each step to apply an arm bar first. Then, assuming that doesn't work, I can go on to something else.

One of the reasons (among many others) that my coach is so good is that not only does he know a lot of submissions, he sees how they can be connected and put together in a chain. If one doesn't work he knows he can switch to another without giving up position, or he will fake one hold to get you to move in a certain way so he can switch to something else. I'm not there, or close, yet so I try and reduce everything to its most basic elements and only worry about a small subset of options.

Bottom line, don't try to think about the 10 different holds you MIGHT be able to apply from the guard. First, get into the proper position/posture and then pick one or two things and work on them until you can do it without having to go through a mental checklist. After that you can add more techniques and tricks. For me at least, I need to focus more on the trees and less on the forrest for the time being if that makes any sense. One advantage I have though is a gym full of experienced BJJ/Judo guys to roll with 3 times a week, who aren't just trying to be hardasses or beat up on the new guy. It sounds like your situation for the time being is a bit different though.

Just a few random thoughts. Best of luck in your training.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot the part about "Don't get hit"
    Choice words for someone who's said that you need a foundation in a base sport before trying to MMA it up. Do you add "don't get taken down" to every boxing combo?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 3:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choice words for someone who's said that you need a foundation in a base sport before trying to MMA it up. Do you add "don't get taken down" to every boxing combo?
    Actually yes I do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/15/2009 3:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just told my kickboxing class what you just said, they all busted up laughing.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast