Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some help for a young'un.

It's my first thread, and I already feel scared :help:

I've been practicing many forms of martial arts over the years, and I've recently convinced my dad to get me a 90lb. Century stand-up. I just want to know, before I start intensively training...

Have I been wasting my time with kenjutsu (Japanese swordfighting) and ninjutsu (we all know what that is), and jiujutsu?

Feel free to totally rip me apart on this one. I just need an honest opinion.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the grades and ranks you obtained in the different MAs, and did you pressure test your skills in any way? (Tournaments, fights, SD situations.)

And more importantly, what do you think of your own skillset?

Style
    Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I've mostly self-trained myself in the two. I've actually been in street situations where I've had to protect one of my friends (who flipped off this guy who nearly ran her over, long story, blah blah) and it's never really failed me.

But I've been looking through the stuff posted in the BS forum and found that there are far more effective styles, and I may just be screwing myself over.

I think that I'm very good with kenjutsu, and ninjutsu as a weaponskill (daggers), but I'm not very good with barefist. Which is why I might want to start learning something else.

Oh, by the way, I probably won't be able to take lessons in whatever MA is recommended. I usually just spar with my friends and shadowbox. T_T sorry for failure.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are not training any kind of a martial art if you are self taught. Scrape together money to train and find a gym that spars where you can take direction from skilled fighters if you want to learn a martial art.

Otherwise, if you insist on self training, just work out. Strength is going to be your best (and only) asset if you lack technical skill learned from a qualified instructor.

Style
    jits da variedade brasile
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way you can evaluate yourself and your training is to spar someone who knows what they are doing. You should look through the Throwdown subforum, we have dozens of Bullies around Socal, I'm sure they'd love to have an excuse for another meet-up.

As to your current training, that becomes an informed decision. Sounds like you've been reading and lurking, which is good. There are several guides here on the forums as well as well-written articles one can find online about aliveness and effectiveness in martial arts. Read as much as you can, pressure-test yourself as much as you can, and then go from there.

Good luck.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then, you haven't trained.

Get in shape, get a gym, get a dojo.

If you prefer weapon fighting, you might be more interested in the Filipino martial arts than into the Japanese stuff, if you're looking for dynamics.

As to building a fighter's physique, I'd recommend you to start here:

http://rosstraining.com/blog/

Also, get clear if you want to pose as a fighter, or to be one.
    Because fighters, as the name suggests, "fight". If whatever you do does not include "fighting" (like the solo training you're doing, or the brawling with your buddies), then chances are that you are not really a fighter.

Also, how old are you?

Style
    Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Century bag was my big present for my 17th birthday. =)

Yeah... I keep telling myself that I ought to find a trainer or a dojo, but I don't really have money T_T and my friends are the only ones that'll fight me... everyone else is too square or whatever. We're the middle class family in a rich district, so everything here is ridiculously overpriced for us. xD

I looked into the whole Filipino eskrima thing, but never really got anywhere with it. I was a bit japanophilic back in early high school when it came to MA.

Yes, I have actually been in "fights". Un-staged ones. I usually win, mostly because I'm pretty fast and they can't seem to land any decent hits on me. I tend to outlast them when it comes to taking head shots, too.

MA is really my passion =/. I hate posers *points at Naruto* that think they know what real fighting is, instead of either mashing the living hell out of things with your fists or doing some weird hand thing and summoning a fireball.

Thus ends my rambling.

Style
    Bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharadsun View Post
    Yes, I have actually been in "fights". Un-staged ones. I usually win, mostly because I'm pretty fast and they can't seem to land any decent hits on me. I tend to outlast them when it comes to taking head shots, too.
    Being able to push around teenagers, however, does not make you a fighter. I'm not trying to diminish your accomplishments, you may be the toughest, quickest teenager in your highschool or whatever, but you are no less of a poser than anyone else until you have found a way to train a real martial art. Either work on finding a way to talk your parents into paying for classes somewhere with aliveness, work on getting a job, or just work out a lot and shelve fighting for a year until you turn 18.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharadsun View Post
    I keep telling myself that I ought to find a trainer or a dojo, but I don't really have money
    This is super hypocritical of me (think of it as an opportunity to learn from my mistakes), but at seventeen, you're old enough to get a job and save toward things that are important to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    Ninjutsu, Kenjutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suprore View Post
    Being able to push around teenagers, however, does not make you a fighter.
    xD If I was the one pushing them around, I wouldn't be looking to learn martial arts.

Well, thanks for the advice/suggestions. I'm not really planning on being able to assign myself to a dojo for the next... eh, year and a quarter? But I want to know whether I've been deluding myself with ninjutsu and kenjutsu and should learn, say, Muay Thai, or whether I should just stick with what I have and build on it when I get to college.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    This is super hypocritical of me (think of it as an opportunity to learn from my mistakes), but at seventeen, you're old enough to get a job and save toward things that are important to you.
    >_< I know I know. I've been looking around, but the only stuff available is like McDonFatBurger and my dad will freak if he finds out I'm working at a place that serves meat.

Yeah this is the kind of parenting that won't let me go to a dojo. T_T
    Last edited by sharadsun; 4/10/2010 11:18pm at .

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last