Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 1:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So, you are trolling? I asked if you were serious now I know.
    Alright, now I'm legitimately confused. I tried to be comprehensible. Please bear with me, I don't understand. Honestly.

To clarify: on the topic of written materials aren't there books on Judo written by some Japanese experts that have been translated into English? I can't remember the titles exactly atm but I do remember reading good things about them on this website. I'll take a look and see if I can find the thread again.

If I remember correctly about the Judo books, then by extension wouldn't books on other martial arts be worth making available to non-native speakers of whatever language they were first completed in?
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 5/21/2010 1:25am at . Reason: Clarity.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 9:11am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    If you're speaking in practical terms, then fair enough. Nevertheless, I fail to see how translating a book or two would destroy everyone's integrity.
    Why should they have to?

If you want it translated, do it yourself.

You think Korean culture owes us something?:qpepsi:

Most English translations of Japanese or Chinese martial arts literature was done by Westerners who were interested in the topic, not because the Asians felt so obligated to provide us with nice little translations of it.

Like I said, there is a sentiment in parts of Taegyeon culture that Taegyeon is a Korean art for the Korean people. Don't expect them to be interested in proselitizing to you.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 9:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If something that is reputable exists in Korean and there's an international audience, then why not translate it?
    Because they have nothing to prove.

You and many other Westerners seem to think there should be some big collective guilty Korean conscience because "ZOMG, TKD ISN'T 5,000 YEARS OLD!"

People rant and rave about it on Bullshido and other websites in what amounts to almost racist rhetoric against Koreans.

Get the **** over it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should be glad I escaped with an attack on my character. I'll remember to keep it to myself next time I have a question for an expert at bullshido. Thanks anyway.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 3:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should be glad I escaped with an attack on my character. I'll remember to keep it to myself next time I have a question for an expert at bullshido. Thanks anyway.
    Gee says the guy who implied they were hiding fraud? Are you really acting this childish?

What, you mean they're trying to hide the fact it's all bullshit or...?
    Out of the hundreds of ways you could ask a question legitimately, you decide to use the implication of fraud?

Character attack? Where?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Gee says the guy who implied they were hiding fraud? Are you really acting this childish?

Out of the hundreds of ways you could ask a question legitimately, you decide to use the implication of fraud?
    I was confused, so I tried to reverse engineer what I thought I read. To my discredit, I need a thicker skin. This is the interet, after all.

By attack I mean the part equating me with a ranting quasi-racist. Again, I digress. The internet. Stiff upper lip and all that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 3:21pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious is this a special ability? To make a comment and exaggerate the meaning?

By attack I mean the part equating me with a ranting quasi-racist.
    Read his post again, with out anger, and please make sure you understand what he means.

Nowhere in his post did he call anyone a racist or quasi-racist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/21/2010 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, if I read again correctly I closely resemble the ignorant westerner who propagates a rhetoric that could be suspected of racism unreasonably demanding the public shame and ostracization of Koreans because Taekwondo is not five millennia old. Is that correct?

In any event, I just thought it was strange the dearth of information on the topic of Taegyeon considering that it's interesting and other interesting related topics have written English texts available. That isn't declaring an onus on Koreans at large to make their culture available to me. So I'm incredulous that I'd be taken for saying so; perhaps the position of moderator being something I am not intimately familiar with, it's difficult for me to see how one could end up at that conclusion.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234