Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 3:18pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to test the validity of your KMA: here's one way

YouTube - Cho's Taekwondo: Life Begins at 80

Here is a real way to test the validity of your martial art. Most people can get good at 20-30-40 even 50. How many can make it happen at age 80?:headbang:

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:02am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I met Mr. West a couple years back.

His dedication is extremely inspiring.

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:24am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow...the punch combos were pretty impressive for his age, but the conditioning part was just eye-popping. Yeesh, I hope I hold up that well at 50 when someone hits me in the solar plexus with a medicine ball.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 11:21am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forget the medicine ball at 50. I'll be happy to be alive at 80 without major physical impediments to handicap me and requiring aid (personal or medical devices) to even walk around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:09pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's what i was thinking. To be that healthy at 80 would be better than all beat up from MMA/BJJ. Course helio gracie moved well for 80+, but he was all beat up. The traditional arts have an advantage. most people miss it, until they get old enough to appreciate it.

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 2:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox View Post
    That's what i was thinking. To be that healthy at 80 would be better than all beat up from MMA/BJJ. Course helio gracie moved well for 80+, but he was all beat up. The traditional arts have an advantage. most people miss it, until they get old enough to appreciate it.
    Why'd you have to go in that direction with it?

Any effort to logically connect this to the "traditional" versus MMA divide will end in failure. Go ahead, try. To lump BJJ in with some sort of body-ruining vat of acid style training is even more ridiculous.

This guy worked hard and intelligently to get that skill at that age. Don't poison that.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 3:25pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbox View Post
    I don't think this is 'traditional' arts advantage. It's a guy who probably trained smart, ate healthy, good genetics, and good luck. Because if you take this road, what about Jack LaLanne? Dude is like pushing 90 something and he never done any martial arts.

Edit: For the record, BJJ is older than TKD so if TKD is traditional art in terms of how long it's been around. BJJ is traditional art as well. Don't forget , Judo is 'traditional' and judokas don't have knees at older age.

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furthermore, there is a chasm the width of the Gulf of Mexico between training at the highest level of competition while in one's prime and sacrificing one's body (Bas Rutten, judoka without knees, Muhammed Ali) compared to getting into training for fitness at an advanced age, or even training recreationally for decades. This is where the real difference lies, not between MMA and TKD or BJJ and so-called "TMA."
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only that we were all that fortunate.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 5:00pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brings to mind that news story from a few months ago about the young punk who tried to mug the 80 year old Marine & got the snot beat out of him.

Kickbox, as the other gentlemen have already pointed out, you're fairly misinformed. Helio was no more beat up than any other advanced age practitioner of a "traditional" martial art...which Brazliian Jujutsu is.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast