Posted On:
    10/11/2009 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knife defence in Capoeira?

Does this exist?

Just curious after someone mentioned elsewhere that Capoeira has no knife defence game.
    Last edited by Larus marinus; 10/11/2009 7:17pm at . Reason: tyop

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ, MMA ex capoeir

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not 100% what you mean by knife defence? It does not have a system in which is specifically agaist knives but back when capoeira was illegal in brazil it was infact fought with knives between gang members. As you can imagine at that stage no-one was doing flashy kicks or acrobatics and it would be a rarety to find a school that teaches this way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 8:40pm

Style: EBMAS\52 Blocks

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byuki View Post
    I'm not 100% what you mean by knife defence? It does not have a system in which is specifically agaist knives but back when capoeira was illegal in brazil it was infact fought with knives between gang members. As you can imagine at that stage no-one was doing flashy kicks or acrobatics and it would be a rarety to find a school that teaches this way.
    I would have to agree. Most of the stories the old players tell have one or two ending with\by a razor.

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 8:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byuki View Post
    Well said.

Get a hold of Maestro Bimba's stuff. They do athletic movements for conditioning and dexterity but there is another aspect regarding hw the art is taught for self defense. There is aeven a story to illustrate that point: A young fast student challenged Bimba and they both did a Rhodayo (spelling) into the ring. Bimbas foot connects and knocks a few teeth loose, end of fight. Bimba was not fast as this guy but had foreshortened the technique so he would get there first... that is martial arts in action!
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's spelt 'roda' ;)

And yer there is a different aspect to capoeira that you won't really find on youtube but even then rare in real life. The type of capoeira where there is hard contact sparring, takedowns and objectives. I hope to find one like this some day.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 3:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

My research yesterday basically involved searching YouTube for 'capoeira knife defence' and 'capoeira knife disarm' (and finding nothing).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly capoeira has a colorful past involving edged weapons, but capoeira generally isn't a good place to go to for knife defense based on the capo groups I've seen and talked to because:
    -emphasis on the dance/exercise elements over the fighting ones
    -large exaggerated motions with limbs extended (contrasted to most serious knife work, with short motions and limbs held closer to the body and covering vitals)
    -lack of actually training against knives- this is key if you're doing knife defense

The value, I would assume, is being evasive, mobile, spontaneous and emphasizing dodging skills instead of shelling up (and capoeira athleticism is a plus for any combative training imo).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 5:47pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    knife defense with capoeira > russian roulette
    but hey hey hey.. If you seek danger :P

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 6:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    Certainly capoeira has a colorful past involving edged weapons, but capoeira generally isn't a good place to go to for knife defense based on the capo groups I've seen and talked to because:
    -emphasis on the dance/exercise elements over the fighting ones
    -large exaggerated motions with limbs extended (contrasted to most serious knife work, with short motions and limbs held closer to the body and covering vitals)
    -lack of actually training against knives- this is key if you're doing knife defense

The value, I would assume, is being evasive, mobile, spontaneous and emphasizing dodging skills instead of shelling up (and capoeira athleticism is a plus for any combative training imo).
    Historically that was not always the case. The capoestras were at one time weapons users and weapons bearer. What a lot of people feel is that sanatizing the art and using primarily Angolian variations of the art has emasculated the art.

Bimba was a fighter and could deal with knives. Also the Capoestras had to deal with straight edges... dangerous fuckin knives indeed. There is stuff in there for that, its just not what people are demanding... I mean I don;t know about you but if I am going to do a Capoera training... I am going for the good looking women. Teh fighting aspects are secondary.

Now before I get accused of being a chauvanist... I don't go to any Capoera classes!
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/13/2009 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yer i agree, the capoeira you see today is not the capoeira of the past, not very often you will find a club that teaches the way Mestre Bimba intended. He emphasised that you NEVER do acrobatic movements and focused on the martial part of his art. He invented Capoeira regional that was intended for combat but even that has been changed to the more 'flashy and flipy' one which i find sad because it was the opposite of Mestre Bimba's intention.