Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kali - hitting hard wood vs tires. Bad for joints?

I've recently set up an old tire that I work on with my rattan sticks during the lunch break. Today I decided to beat the crap out of a dead tree just to mix things up. The brances came clean off, but when I hit the trunk it gave a very hard, unpleasant feedback that feels like the energy is going back into my arm instead of into the tree. My gut feeling is that I should avoid this practice because it would be detriminal to my joints in the long run.

Opinions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:00am

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that your gut instinct is right on the money. If kali was supposed to be used against trees, then kalistas would use axes and saws.

And there is a drumming technique where you loosen the grip on the drum stick just before impact in order to spare your joints. And the importance of having warmed-up wrists before training can't be overstressed.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even in drumming, you're striking a surface that's meant to rebound, like a rubber tire or the human body. Even drumming on a non-rebounding surface, the sticks are small and light enough to rebound for you. I don't do Kali, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think their sticks are meant to do that.

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 7:28pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drumming? what does that have to do with kali?
    Maybe you're just a *****. When I train kali, I hit steel I-beams with a 26" piece of rebar. Dosen't bother me a bit.

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 9:57pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    perhaps, if you really want to continue, try using baseball gloves. The same feedback can be felt when swinging a bat against the ball, so maybe the gloves can spare your joints. Just a thought.
    "The pedant is he who finds it impossible to read criticism of himself without immediately reaching for his pen and replying to the effect that the accusation is a gross insult to his person. He is, in effect, a man unable to laugh at himself."Sigmund Freud, The Ego and the Id.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 11:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kalaspojken View Post
    I've recently set up an old tire that I work on with my rattan sticks during the lunch break. Today I decided to beat the crap out of a dead tree just to mix things up. The brances came clean off, but when I hit the trunk it gave a very hard, unpleasant feedback that feels like the energy is going back into my arm instead of into the tree. My gut feeling is that I should avoid this practice because it would be detriminal to my joints in the long run.

Opinions?
    That is precisely what is happening. The impact cannot be absorbed by the object that you are hitting, so it is being absorbed by the stick and your body instead. Most traditional training in the Philippines includes a high degree of repetition (500 #1 strikes, 500 #2 strikes, etc) and choose targets that do give a bit. Rattan on Rattan, rattan on tire, EH on banana tree, etc.

In addition, hardwoods are not a safe surface to strike while practicing. Unlike rattan or tires which...hardwood splinters, and splinters can get lodged in (a practitioner or passer-by's) eyes/soft tissue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 11:59pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your gut feeling was right. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It sounds like your tire is a much better bet. And if you want a more realistic way to train, make yourself a dummy out of some carpet pad, duct tape, and an old sweat shirt.

Have fun!

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 1:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    is there a bob dummy that can withstand rattan sticks? that's what i would make my first choice.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 2:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by white_kimbo View Post
    is there a bob dummy that can withstand rattan sticks? that's what i would make my first choice.

The wavemaster bobs are quite tough. They hold up well to impact from sticks and most types of training blades.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 4:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ShotokoN/brawleR/

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if i was you,i would probably spend my lunch breaks kicking the tree trunks to callouse my chins,just like a traditional muay tai fighter does..I also throw elbow strikes on the edges of wrapped pallets at work for good measure.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast