Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 9:47pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

southpaws advantages/disadvantages

So I'm a lefty, it seems to be a disadvantage (sometimes big & sometimes small) for the most part when it comes to everyday life. What about when it comes to fighting? Are there any professional fighters that are lefties? What are your experiences when it comes to fighting with a southpaw or fighting as a southpaw?

In FMA most single stick guys I know train with the right arm along with myself. I'm still not quite sure if this is an advantage or not, at least my better arm is free to strike/clear/ grab or whatever. When striking (FMA) with my left i'm way better than the right handers using their left. As far as empty hand goes I feel more comfortable in a right handed stance w/ my left up front, although I frequently switch it up during a match I like firing powerful jabs with my more coordinated left to set up for my right cross.

Do any of you right handed guys fight southpaw to keep your more poweful right up front?

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 10:36pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a lefty who fights orthodox because I'm blind in my right eye, and I got to keep that side away. I don't do striking frequently just because my peripherals make it kinda dangerous.
    However, my left hook is 'the business' (in the way that a judo noob with some chun and a bit o boxing can throw a shitty hook) or, I feel, would be if I worked at it.

That being said, it's great in judo on my fellow green belts. Blues and browns know how to deal, but greenies get destroyed by my Yakimov style Kata Guruma. Doesn't seem to matter in BJJ though, you just shove those guys and they go down, it's almost as if they want to be on the ground...

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say it's an advantage to be a lefty. One example I can think of is that your liver shot will be with your power hand.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 11:01pm

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way fighters around here describe it, being a southpaw is an advantage vs orthodox fighters because your normal footwork will lead your power-attacks into their weak-zone, and since southpaws are a minority not many people are completely 100% comfortable and untroubled fighting them as the would be another orthodox.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 1:19am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im right handed but I box southpaw.....The best advantage for me is that my left cross is dangerous but my right hook and overhand are my most powerful meaning that I have more options for quick powerful punches....Being able to swap between the two stances is the biggest advantage IMO.....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 6:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav Maga, Boxing, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a southpaw is an advantage when it comes to striking, and neuteral when it comes to grappling. Here is why:
    Let's assume that 10% of the population is lefthanded
    As a southpaw, in training you spend 90% of your time sparring against orthodox people.
    As a right hander, you only spend 10% of your time preparing to fight a southpaw, something which takes a significant adjustment in style.
    Therefore, Southpaw=Advantage.
    As for your question about fighters who are lefties, i have noticed that Southpaws are generally over-represented in the UFC. In some ways i think this reflects the advantage i just described, but it could just be a coincidence.
    Famous southpaws:
    Anderson Silva
    Chris Leben
    Rich Franklin
    Yushin Okami
    Mirko Cro Cop
    Brandon Vera
    Marcus Davis
    the list goes on...

In my experience, MMA was the first place where i found being a lefty to be an advantage. So go southpaws!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 12:18pm

Style: Boxing/MMA (Ex. Shotokan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm right handed, and somewhere in the years of fighting with both sides in karate, I learned I preferred to fight southpaw. Fun note, I preferred kicking with my left leg, which was backwards since most karate kicks were front leg in sparring. However, now I have started boxing and fight southpaw mainly because my left cross is so natural/strong feeling and I prefer jabbing with my strong hand. I also like to fantasize about throwing kicks to the head with my left leg. So yeah, right handed and southpaw=win am I right?

Boxudo, How could you forget MACHIDA!!2132rasgsr

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 12:53pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Still even as a southpaw I don't fight many other southpaws. So while I may have somewhat of an advantage fighting a right handed person, I still do not have as much expierence fighting other southpaws. Of course, fighting another southpaw may just neutralize any advantage I would normally have.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Advantages: Annoying as **** to normal people. **** you and your lefty faggotry.
    Disadvantages: Most coaches are orthodox...and understand that left handed people are possessed by the devil.

Also, statistically, you're more of a ******. <333

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2009 3:26pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxudo pretty much nailed it.

In addition, it opens up the ventral surface for strikes against an orothodox fighter. What I mean is an orthodox rear-leg highkick is to the skull and needs to get past the shoulders. A southpaw rear-leg highkick (i.e. Crocop) comes into the face of your opponant.

Left bodykicks hit the liver, right bodykicks don't.

Left legkicks hit the inside leg of an orthodox opponant, right legkicks hit the outside leg.

I originally came from a karate background, so I still find kicking comfortable with either leg. For the face/liver reasons I've mentioned before, I finish a lot of combos with a left switchkick instead of a right kick. Tiips depend on the range.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast