Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    ^
    I remember seeing LA police stats somewhere compiling the stats of rapists. The compiled average height/weight were decidedly unimpressive (which surprised me a lot). I guess most huge musclebound guys have more than enough women already willing to give them whatever they want (whether it's sex or a feeling of dominance) without resorting to rape. Also, I can't remember the exact figure, but very positive percentage (better than half) of women who decide to resist wind up getting away.

I'm all for not giving women a false sense of empowerment, just saying, I don't think the women vs. rapist situation is nearly as bleak as a lot of people imagine.

P.S. I apologize in advance for not citing the statistics. I have exactly enough time to bullshit online for a 5 minute sanity break inbetween chapters. If it's an issue we can track 'em down later I'm sure. I read them linked off Bullshido in the first place.
    The way I look at it and to echo IIF, if you assume the worst, prepare yourself for the worst and face any bad situation with that mindset, it's more likely that you'll be able to do the things that you need to do in order to remain unraped and unkilled.

I'm not saying that women should walk around seeing rapists on every street corner or viewing every man as a potential rapist but sometimes a little paranoia can be healthy - if it puts you into 'I'm going to die right here and right now unless I do something' mode if/when the time comes.

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    I really don't get your point, considering you've just summarized everything I've been saying with that line. I've stated clearly that martial art was to prepare for the worst case scenario, and so, many times already. So please explain what's so wrong with what I say.

Martial arts are not only for defence, this is also very good for your heart. ;)

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    The way I look at it and to echo IIF, if you assume the worst, prepare yourself for the worst and face any bad situation with that mindset, it's more likely that you'll be able to do the things that you need to do in order to remain unraped and unkilled.

I'm not saying that women should walk around seeing rapists on every street corner or viewing every man as a potential rapist but sometimes a little paranoia can be healthy - if it puts you into 'I'm going to die right here and right now unless I do something' mode if/when the time comes.
    I agree with you, but I thought it sounded like you were taking it just a tad too far and into beginning of the "There's no hope, my attacker is sure to be a psychotic 300 lb bodybuilder on PCP so I might as well not resist and hope he doesn't beat the **** out of me/kill me on top of it" spectrum.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I agree with you, but I thought it sounded like you were taking it just a tad too far and into beginning of the "There's no hope, my attacker is sure to be a psychotic 300 lb bodybuilder on PCP so I might as well not resist and hope he doesn't beat the **** out of me/kill me on top of it" spectrum.
    Na, I didn't mean it to come across like that. It just seemed to me that Osaka Peach was significantly underestimating what a rapist could be capable of. Just trying to give her the flip-side...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 8:07pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Na, I didn't mean it to come across like that. It just seemed to me that Osaka Peach was significantly underestimating what a rapist could be capable of. Just trying to give her the flip-side...
    I hope I won't ever see for real what a rapist is capable of...

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 2:42am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    Please calm down... no need to get so angry ok? but If there is really no chance at all that a woman could ever fend off an agressor, then why bother doing any martial art or fight training?
    Okay, I'm going to say this slowly:

Do
    Not
    Put
    Words
    In
    My
    Mouth (so to speak)

I never said this, so I have no obligation to defend the statement, for it is stupid.

OP, Sorry, but your posts read like you're what? 22? 25? I think I've got years of this kind of argument behind me, stop trying to false premise me, ain't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach
    Why not pick up screaming classes and sprint running lessons?
    Actually, screaming and running is the best and first defense in these situations, and what I would teach my daughter (if I had one).

Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach
    I never said I intended on picking up a fight with a guy on purpose or resisting to prove the worth of my JKD, I always have said that there IS a chance that escape is impossible and THEN you must at least TRY something, right? Or should I just let him rape me out of fear of being beaten ?
    *slaps forehead*

Oh **** me, you have to be like 12, not 21.

Again, I never said this ridiculous and pathetic thing, so no obligation to defend it.

What I've been trying to get you to understand is this: your professed attitude (I can knock out my attacker) is exactly, no, MORE dangerous than the attitude you attempted to critizise (i.e. the way women's self defense is taught in many classes).

I'm glad you train. I'm glad you're not a victim, like 90% of the women I see out there, who think they can get drunk with impunity, or lip off to people, or just generally act irresponsible and expect to be treated like the delicate little flowers that daddy told them they were. They have "fresh meat" written on their foreheads and will pay for it someday.

But if you are ever attacked on the street by a stranger (statistically very unlikely as has been pointed out), I hope you will scream and run.

And if you can't fucking take the guy's eye out, don't punch him. Don't grapple him. Scratch his fucking eyes out.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 4:12am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting thread and posts.....

Hot topic Female Self Defence, my partner and I drill simple combos and locks on a fairly regular basis, it was actually her idea for me to teach her how to punch, elbow and knee after she was attacked on a school bus many years ago.....

I would hope most sincerly that her instincts would take over in the instant she needed them to.....Kicking, screaming and running like a cheetah.....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 4:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 4:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is going to get someone raped......

YouTube - Women's Self Defense - Against a bedroom punching attack.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/19/2009 8:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep the LOLtatstic already posted videos in their original thread. This is still a MABS subforum.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast