Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    Oh totally. And who gives a rats ass anyway? As long as no one calls me "sugartits" on the mats, what the **** would I care?

Most of the guys I roll with are young healthy adult straight males. OF COURSE rolling with a woman might give them a hard on.

Thats a great attitude.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    There are very few (if any) unarmed moves that are *guaranteed* to work in the face of an attempted rape/assault on the streets. I believe that what they're trying to tell you is that - it's a *very bad* idea to get it into your head that if (God forbid) you're ever faced with such a situation that you'll *definitely* be able to outfight your assailant using your martial arts skills.

Just because you managed to knock a guy out in training, don't assume that you'll be able to do the same to a psychopath who means to rape you, or worse, when the guy may have already blindsided you and punched you harder than you've ever been punched before, or hit you over the back of the head with a brick and dragged you off into a dark corner, or whatever - and you're more terrified than you've ever been in your life.

No-one is saying that you *won't* be able to fight back and escape. Just that you should realize how dangerous, cruel and relentless some of these guys can be.
    Good summary but, not what I'm saying at all. I haven't commented on techniques that work or not. I commented on her thinking.

And I think rapist are not hard-boiled streetfighters, they are recluse obsessive men feeding on the so called helplessness of women,
    If you are training for self defense, IMO, you train for the worst scenario. You train for the bad guy that isn't going to run away. You train hard for the "no win scenario."

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 6:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Please Please Please don't succumb to this Bullshit. I'm actually glad you train. I'm actually glad you aren't a shrinking violet.

If we are going to be real with things, in America, most rapes occur with people you are acquainted with on up to relatives.
    Absolutely.

And the rapist has the convenience of figuring out an area and scenerio which is beneficial and this might be the biggest danger. No, we don;t tend to go out to deserted areas with strangers but Uncle Fred is another matter.

I have a confession to make... I have not figured out a way to deal withthis dilmna and it scares me. I mean 9 times out of 10 that relative is ok and I don;t want my kids and women growing up scared, but the succesful rape is that 10nth time make no mistake about it. And for the other type of rapist tht is not as determined any tough act usually will get him running. In New Yorl when I was a kid all the ladies carried dog leashes made of metal. If they were bothered....
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good summary but, not what I'm saying at all. I haven't commented on techniques that work or not. I commented on her thinking.

If you are training for self defense, IMO, you train for the worst scenario. You train for the bad guy that isn't going to run away. You train hard for the "no win scenario."
    Yes, sorry for getting the wrong end of the stick.

You're absolutely right with your comment.

Indeed, the rapists may very well be "recluse obsessive men feeding on the so called helplessness of women" - but that this DEFINITELY DOES NOT make them physically weak or liable to stop just because a woman stands up to them. Actually, they're probably going to be quite the opposite, having already initiated the assault, committed to violence in their minds, got the adrenaline and testosterone flowing and entered a completely different headspace to most of the rational world.

Better to assume this than to assume that these guys have boundaries.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 6:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Absolutely.

And the rapist has the convenience of figuring out an area and scenerio which is beneficial and this might be the biggest danger. No, we don;t tend to go out to deserted areas with strangers but Uncle Fred is another matter.
    From what I've seen of Friday and Saturday nights in English town centres, there are literally *thousands* of young women who'll get out of their skulls on ale, drugs or both and then go off who-knows-where by themselves with guys that they've just met.

Indeed the statistics say that most rapes are perpetrated by people known to the victim - but I just thought that I should throw this out here too...

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 6:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^
    I think those stats count towards knowing the victim tbh. In other words, it's not some maniac hiding in the bushes who conks them over the head with a brick, but rather someone who gains the victim's trust to some degree and takes advantage of them/doesn't stop when they say no. Family member, guy you meet at a bar, first date with someone you barely know, etc.

Martial arts is good practice, but sparring mimics a duel not an assault. 9/10s of the skills we learn are good solid moves in-and-of themselves but will only come out of the toolbox when squaring off against another trained fighter.

RBSD-type scenarios (in addition, not instead of sparring) are a better way to practice self-defense applications imo, but I don't know how many RBSD schools out there actually teach good technique and train with actual resistance (i.e. really beating the **** out of the guy in the redman suit as opposed to him acting).

Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Indeed, the rapists may very well be "recluse obsessive men feeding on the so called helplessness of women" - but that this DEFINITELY DOES NOT make them physically weak or liable to stop just because a woman stands up to them. Actually, they're probably going to be quite the opposite, having already initiated the assault, committed to violence in their minds, got the adrenaline and testosterone flowing and entered a completely different headspace to most of the rational world.

Better to assume this than to assume that these guys have boundaries.
    I remember seeing LA police stats somewhere compiling the stats of rapists. The compiled average height/weight were decidedly unimpressive (which surprised me a lot). I guess most huge musclebound guys have more than enough women already willing to give them whatever they want (whether it's sex or a feeling of dominance) without resorting to rape. Also, I can't remember the exact figure, but very positive percentage (better than half) of women who decide to resist wind up getting away.

I'm all for not giving women a false sense of empowerment, just saying, I don't think the women vs. rapist situation is nearly as bleak as a lot of people imagine.

P.S. I apologize in advance for not citing the statistics. I have exactly enough time to bullshit online for a 5 minute sanity break inbetween chapters. If it's an issue we can track 'em down later I'm sure. I read them linked off Bullshido in the first place.
    Last edited by maofas; 10/18/2009 7:08pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 6:59pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post

RBSD-type scenarios (in addition, not instead of sparring) are a better way to practice self-defense applications imo, I don't know how many RBSD schools out there actually teach good technique and train with actual resistance (really beating the **** out of the guy in the redman suit as opposed to him acting).
    Ahh the redman suit. Those tend to be some of the worst classes on the planet.

Not all but a large majority.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:14pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I really don't get your point, considering you've just summarized everything I've been saying with that line. I've stated clearly that martial art was to prepare for the worst case scenario, and so, many times already. So please explain what's so wrong with what I say.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only been registered here a couple of months but I've been reading for a couple of years, on-and-off. From what I recall, there seems to be just as much, if not more misleading and generally crappy stuff in the world of RBSD than there is in TMA.

Yaknow, all the fake military veterans and guys who make unverifiable claims to be ex-underground streetfighting champions, or bodyguards to the stars, or gangland enforcers, or 'the hardest doorman in <wherever>', or ex-criminals who learned how to **** people up in jail, etc. I used to see this shite advertised in magazines all the time...

So basically, you learn knife and gun defences that will probably get you killed, as well as how to kick someone in the balls, gouge eyes, pull hair or hit someone with a bottle - from some fat, bald, middle-aged man who frowns a lot.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 7:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An entire debate for another thread. It will get ugly and people never agree. Yes, a ton of RBSD is ****. It is funny, when Mcdojo/bullshido started RBSD was the new SD/MMA training fad.

Everyone keeps waiting for BJJ and MMA to turn Mcdojo. No one really talks about how quick that happened to RBSD.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast