Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 4:41pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah ... sure you did.

Sorry, I have trouble believing that. How many punches? How big was he? What kind of gloves? Did he have any skills? You do recognize a boxing match in a nice well lit gym is a different kettle of fish than what we're talking about right?

Most of all: define knock out. You threw one punch and knocked someone unconcious or unable to respond to your next action? You threw a flurry with the same result? You threw one punch or a flurry that rocked someone enough they stopped defending themselves for a bit? (I've done that.)

Sorry if I seem ... scratch that. I'm not in the least sorry to sound skeptical about your statement.

I'm not invoking the "lava and broken glass" thing here, I'm talking about the insanity of believing that you will win any fight outside of a gym by striking alone, or that a woman should even try to strike more than a few times in a self defense situation.

(Sole exception: weapons are involved, in my hands, not his.)

Come on, lady, yeah, you and I and Kid and AT could all knock someone out -- just like anyone else on this planet. It's not whether you can, given enough time and opportunity, knock someone out. It's whether that is an intelligent mind set to be in for any self defense situation.

IT IS NOT.

You will be much better off going into "self-defense" if you give up that idea.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 4:43pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    Of course, but if for any reason you can't flee, or if he just runs faster than you, you must have something up your sleeve to avoid the worst. And that's why I train :icon_chee And I think rapist are not hard-boiled streetfighters, they are recluse obsessive men feeding on the so called helplessness of women, I believe (rightly, I hope) that a woman CAN get out of a rape scenario. And since I'm not a particularely fast runner, I would probably have to do some damage to open up my chance for escape.
    A power reassurance rapist will usual react to resistance by running away.

ALL THE OTHER GUYS WILL STAB YOU OR SHOOT YOU AND RAPE YOUR DYING BODY, COVERED IN YOUR OWN BLOOD AND MOCKING YOU THE WHOLE TIME.

Grow the **** up.

Edit: *Sigh* Sorry to sound hostile, but everything you're written on this thread scares the living **** out of me, and I really don't want to read about you being found in a QC back alley some day.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 4:51pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did some additional research on the subjet at the local library and I came across a old late seventies french book about women self defense called Les femmes sont imbattables (women can't be beaten), and I was a bit better than the books my mom used to have. Well, it was a mixed bag actually... They did teach muay thai elbows and knees, and they had a few good escapes from hugs and wrist locks. On the other hand, a whole chapter was devoted to chi-kung training with horse stance and the likes, and as expected very little was offered in ground position defense. For a reverse rape attempt, a backward headbutt was sugested (?!) for a front attempt, the usual eye pokes and genitals attack where suggested, wich Is OK I guess but I'd really like to see BJJ taught as a mean of rape self defense. If royce gracie could win 3 ufc at 170 pounds, I don't see why a 170 pound woman (like me) couln't get the best of a rapist with BJJ... or am I delusional?:cat:

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 4:51pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they are recluse obsessive men feeding on the so called helplessness of women, I believe
    Please Please Please don't succumb to this Bullshit. I'm actually glad you train. I'm actually glad you aren't a shrinking violet.

If we are going to be real with things, in America, most rapes occur with people you are acquainted with on up to relatives.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    A power reassurance rapist will usual react to resistance by running away.

ALL THE OTHER GUYS WILL STAB YOU OR SHOOT YOU AND RAPE YOUR DYING BODY, COVERED IN YOUR OWN BLOOD AND MOCKING YOU THE WHOLE TIME.

Grow the **** up.

Edit: *Sigh* Sorry to sound hostile, but everything you're written on this thread scares the living **** out of me, and I really don't want to read about you being found in a QC back alley some day.
    Please calm down... no need to get so angry ok? but If there is really no chance at all that a woman could ever fend off an agressor, then why bother doing any martial art or fight training? Why not pick up screaming classes and sprint running lessons? I never said I intended on picking up a fight with a guy on purpose or resisting to prove the worth of my JKD, I always have said that there IS a chance that escape is impossible and THEN you must at least TRY something, right? Or should I just let him rape me out of fear of being beaten ?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please calm down... no need to get so angry ok? but If there is really no chance at all that a woman could ever fend off an agressor, then why bother doing any martial art or fight training?
    Who said that? No one said their isn't a chance. You started making some typical BS statements concerning rape and Self Defense. Basically, you made a bunch of comments that bled arrogance. The type of arrogance that gets some women and men in bad situations.

Why not pick up screaming classes and sprint running lessons?
    Sadly, those are called situational awareness classes which, tend to be taught better taught than so called self defense courses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    Yeah ... sure you did.

Sorry, I have trouble believing that. How many punches? How big was he? What kind of gloves? Did he have any skills? You do recognize a boxing match in a nice well lit gym is a different kettle of fish than what we're talking about right?

Most of all: define knock out. You threw one punch and knocked someone unconcious or unable to respond to your next action? You threw a flurry with the same result? You threw one punch or a flurry that rocked someone enough they stopped defending themselves for a bit? (I've done that.)

Sorry if I seem ... scratch that. I'm not in the least sorry to sound skeptical about your statement.

I'm not invoking the "lava and broken glass" thing here, I'm talking about the insanity of believing that you will win any fight outside of a gym by striking alone, or that a woman should even try to strike more than a few times in a self defense situation.

(Sole exception: weapons are involved, in my hands, not his.)

Come on, lady, yeah, you and I and Kid and AT could all knock someone out -- just like anyone else on this planet. It's not whether you can, given enough time and opportunity, knock someone out. It's whether that is an intelligent mind set to be in for any self defense situation.

IT IS NOT.

You will be much better off going into "self-defense" if you give up that idea.
    We where about the same weight (at that time I was 140) and he was a bit smaller. he was a novice, and so was I. It was the result of a flush one-two and he droped like a wet towel and the sparring was stopped altogether. This is the only time I ever knocked anybody out, but I don't see what is so unbelievable about a knock-out. I've been KO myself and let me tell you that any well delivered strike on the chin will drop most people, I was there. :5headache it took me more then 5 hours to fully recover (regaining my senses 100 percent)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Who said that? No one said their isn't a chance. You started making some typical BS statements concerning rape and Self Defense. Basically, you made a bunch of comments that bled arrogance. The type of arrogance that gets some women and men in bad situations.

Sadly, those are called situational awareness classes which, tend to be taught better taught than so called self defense courses.
    The feeling I get from reading your posts is that nothing will ever work in a real situation... I really don't see how I was so arrogant, I clearly pointed out time and time again that escape was the best solution.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The feeling I get from reading your posts is that nothing will ever work in a real situation...
    Yes, I noticed you do that with anyone that disagrees with your assertions.

I really don't see how I was so arrogant, I clearly pointed out time and time again that escape was the best solution.
    Yes, I know you think that is all you are saying.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/18/2009 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The feeling I get from reading your posts is that nothing will ever work in a real situation... I really don't see how I was so arrogant, I clearly pointed out time and time again that escape was the best solution.
    There are very few (if any) unarmed moves that are *guaranteed* to work in the face of an attempted rape/assault on the streets. I believe that what they're trying to tell you is that - it's a *very bad* idea to get it into your head that if (God forbid) you're ever faced with such a situation that you'll *definitely* be able to outfight your assailant using your martial arts skills.

Just because you managed to knock a guy out in training, don't assume that you'll be able to do the same to a psychopath who means to rape you, or worse, when the guy may have already blindsided you and punched you harder than you've ever been punched before, or hit you over the back of the head with a brick and dragged you off into a dark corner, or whatever - and you're more terrified than you've ever been in your life.

No-one is saying that you *won't* be able to fight back and escape. Just that you should realize how dangerous, cruel and relentless some of these guys can be.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast