Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 1:32am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKDChick, i think that happens more than people know. My girlfriend cup-checked a guy with a kick last month and hit a hard object. She later found out the guy wasn't wearing a cup. She was pretty creeped out.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 2:02am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh totally. And who gives a rats ass anyway? As long as no one calls me "sugartits" on the mats, what the **** would I care?

Most of the guys I roll with are young healthy adult straight males. OF COURSE rolling with a woman might give them a hard on.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 2:46am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The instructors that put together a women's self-defense class with the intention of it being for "the folks that don't train" or for reasons of "empowerment" are probably missing the mark.

Many martial arts schools struggle with attracting and retaining female students. A women's self defense class can be used as a way to bring women in the door and to pique their interest enough to see that they can defend themselves, and that they can do martial arts.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 4:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    you can't teach defenses from guard in a few sessions. You can teach them to hit hard
    You can't teach the average girl to hit hard enough to do more than annoy the average guy in a few session, but you can teach feet-on-hips open guard, up-kicks, stand-up, run.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 5:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    JKDChick, i think that happens more than people know. My girlfriend cup-checked a guy with a kick last month and hit a hard object. She later found out the guy wasn't wearing a cup. She was pretty creeped out.
    I used to lurk on Sherdog quite a bit in the past and I remember one post in particular there where it was clear that the OP thought that the primary purpose of wearing a cup whilst grappling was to conceal erections from other men. Dunno if it was just a troll (it was ages ago now and I can't find the thread again) but your reply reminded me of that guy...

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick View Post
    Oh totally. And who gives a rats ass anyway? As long as no one calls me "sugartits" on the mats, what the **** would I care?

Most of the guys I roll with are young healthy adult straight males. OF COURSE rolling with a woman might give them a hard on.
    Yeah, what's the point in getting offended - it's just another point of leverage and another chance to get foul-smelling, nasty sparring partners into a situation where you get to shout "TAP OR FACKING SNAP!", right? :5bouncy:

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 2:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osaka peach View Post
    My main concern is that those course create a false sense of confidence
    Whether this a troll job or not, I would like to comment on this.

Yep. Dead right. That is my impression too.

Many of my friends have attended these "courses".

There may be exceptions, but it seems that most of them are taught by people who don't actually know anything about fighting.
    I understand that a self defence course has to be very basic as they are short.

But they do tend to teach static situations:
    Double handed standing strangle, just do this.

Tackle- just do this.

Slow swinging punch- just do this.

Rear bear hug- just do this.

There is no "Just do this" in real life.

One friend described a moment to me that summed it all up. She was attending some month long once a week womens self defence course. Yeah, thats four sessions.
    They were assured that they were basically able to deal with any attacker after completing it and getting their "certificate".
    It was all static standing stuff.
    She asked the "chief instructor" a simple question: "What do I do if the guys got me on the ground and starts beating the **** out of me?"

The instructor verbally fumbled for a bit and then replied "Well, that just won't happen! Because now you are trained! So there's no way that could possibly happen! You would have taken him out before he got you down!".
    Or words to that effect.

If an instructor doesn't know the answer to the question, they should damn well just say so. Not pull out that horseshit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 3:18pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    You can't teach the average girl to hit hard enough to do more than annoy the average guy in a few session, but you can teach feet-on-hips open guard, up-kicks, stand-up, run.
    I agree that I would'nt be able to KO trained bulky male fighters, but I probably could send an average sexual offender out cold. Or I hope so :thumbsup:

Actually since there was only 2 girls at the boxing club when I trained as a teen, I often sparred with smaller males and I knocked out one of them with a one-two combination. Oh God, I was feeling so bad, I just kept apologising and I was freaked out by the way his legs just gave up like a wet towel as he fell down. Then again I got myself KOed in an exibition match in a bar (those drunk guys sure love to see fighting chicks do they?) and one second I was up and throwing jabs and the next I was down with no idea what was happening lol That's part of the game ;)

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, you know to disregard the opinion of everyone who puts a TMA in their style field, right?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    OP, you know to disregard the opinion of everyone who puts a TMA in their style field, right?
    Well I think some TMA do work, as it as been said before, it's more the individual that counts than the fighting system. Just look at George St-pierre, he comes from a kyokushin karate background, and most impressively a good numbers of pro-wrestler (of all things!) did extremely well in MMA (Kazushi Sakuraba defeated FOUR Gracies after all) I don't think any style can completely be counted out... but realisticaly, katas, compliant self-defense training and point sparring are pretty much useless, no matter where you find them :happy7:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2009 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That being said I wonder how come there doesn't seem to be much MMA fighters with JKD as their background. I really like how JKD adapts itself to each individual. I have a slight hand diformity where my fingers are abnormaly long and thus I can't close a traditional horizontal fist properly (the foreknucles protrudes foward and I can't land the 2 big knuckles unless I bend my wrist 45 degrees) and It has caused me a lot of concern and problem while I was boxing, but now I use a vertical fist and I throw a bit at an outward angle and I can land flush on the 2 big knucles without bending the wrist. :5bowtie:

not in line with the current topic much but I wanted to talk about that lol :toothy10:
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast