Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by permahudef View Post
    Even before I started training MA, I had female relatives/friends who would talk about women's self-defense moves. I was also ignorant to MA (as a kid/teen), so I wanted to see the moves. I knew something was up when they said "No, you're not grabbing me correctly, you have to do it like this...okay not so tight..."
    My mum was the same when I was a teen. She'd been somewhere to learn woman's self-defence and she told me to put her in a full nelson so that she could show me how she could get out of it.

The escape she'd been taught involved first trying to unbalance me by pushing off against my shins with her feet and if that didn't work (it didn't - presumably because I wasn't in on the fact that I was supposed to let it work), stomping on my toes. I guess that the instructor hadn't anticipated an assailant wearing steel toecapped Doc Martens either.

So my mum was all like "You're hurting me now - let go". So I did - because I didn't want to hurt my mum.

She had some sort of behind-the-back wristlock too - that assumed that the attacker wasn't going to struggle, spaz out and start flailing when placed in it...

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 5:41pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside, I worked with a guy that was in the Teritorials, (or National Guard), he was in work one day after having a training session with a CQB type guy, and was mouthing off about the deadly techniques he'd been taught, I didnt bother questioning him on it, because, well it would have been awkward at work after, he was a weird one, used to go rabbit hunting in a full ghillie suit:

Anyway, the point is, men and women, untrained, always come away from these thing's 'empowered' instead of realising what a nasty situation it is, and how they should be avoiding it etc. Human nature I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 6:46pm

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres a womens self defense course offered at my university as a PE credit. ive always wanted to take it just to say im in a "womens self defense class", but im not sure if men are allowed to (women only vs targed for women)

the course description says:
    The goal of this course is to empower women and to prevent violence against women. This course provides women with practical self-defense skills emphasizing releases from various grabs and including some defenses against punches and knife attacks. The majority of techniques are based in Aikido, which is a very practical martial art for people of all sizes, strengths and ages. Lab Fee: $10.00. For more information contact
    but yeah... aikido...

SO my thoughts are that of pretty much everyone who posted: the techniques are probably stupid and shitty and are only taught to boost confidence.

as a side note, i think bjj would be great for anti-rape. i mean guard = t3h r4pe position

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 6:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ShotokoN/brawleR/

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think some of you women think your above men when it comes to training..For christ sake put on a freaking cup:)You guys aint invincible when it comes to groin strikes...LOL!...And maybe even a protective training bra,perhaps one might get caught up with the ol chudan twister.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post

as a side note, i think bjj would be great for anti-rape. i mean guard = t3h r4pe position
    Yeah - but what if she's dealing with 'that one guy' who gets a boner whenever he's in guard? :love10:

As another aside - has anyone actually ever seen that happen for real? I've been lurking on various MA forums on and off for years and I've heard stories - but they've all been of the 'I know someone who knows someone who trained with a guy who kept getting erections during BJJ' type.

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 7:14pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAardvark View Post
    theres a womens self defense course offered at my university as a PE credit. ive always wanted to take it just to say im in a "womens self defense class", but im not sure if men are allowed to (women only vs targed for women)

the course description says:

but yeah... aikido...

SO my thoughts are that of pretty much everyone who posted: the techniques are probably stupid and shitty and are only taught to boost confidence.

The point of SD classes is to not end up in that situation, and you can't teach defenses from guard in a few sessions. You can teach them to hit hard, and you can teach them some awareness. This is not about women that want to train 6 months +.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 7:24pm

Style: BJJ, MT, JJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Yeah - but what if she's dealing with 'that one guy' who gets a boner whenever he's in guard? :love10:

As another aside - has anyone actually ever seen that happen for real? I've been lurking on various MA forums on and off for years and I've heard stories - but they've all been of the 'I know someone who knows someone who trained with a guy who kept getting erections during BJJ' type.
    getting raped while learning how to defend against rape. what a twist!

haha i think its one of those "it happens more often than you think but no one talks about it" kinda things.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    The point of SD classes is to not end up in that situation, and you can't teach defenses from guard in a few sessions. You can teach them to hit hard, and you can teach them some awareness. This is not about women that want to train 6 months +.
    and yeah, thats what i was thinking. more mental, less physical. learning how to diffuse situations and all of that. but i still think they could teach a couple of guard defenses in the few months they have in class instead of the fingers-up-nose takedown or what have you

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 7:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Women's self-defense course: a) don't get drunk b) don't let random guys you just picked up at party/bar drive you home. c) If you decide to not resist and the person wants to either tie you up or put you in the trunk of their car reconsider resisting. d) Wear practical shoes when you go out and carry tear gas (and for the love of god stop putting it in the bottom of your purse where you'll never get to it in time).

You're welcome, $50 please.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 1:28am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post

As another aside - has anyone actually ever seen that happen for real? I've been lurking on various MA forums on and off for years and I've heard stories - but they've all been of the 'I know someone who knows someone who trained with a guy who kept getting erections during BJJ type.
    I have rolled with guys who got erections while I was rolling with them. One of them -- who is a friend of mine now -- apologized afterwords, also because he grabbed tit in the guard. I think these things were related.

I laughed and said it was the nature of the beast, I considered it a compliment and if he let it distract him and go lighter on me I'd kick his ass.

It helped that he a) smells amazing b) is super good looking and c) is someone I would date in a second.

If a creepy stinky guy got an erection while I was rolling with him, I might get "clumsy" and knee drop him in the junk (which has also happened) and that guy will never learn where I live.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    10/12/2009 1:29am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and
    God
    I
    Love