Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2009 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the Universal Kempo attitude about self defense. It's everything. Same in Kaju's KSDI. UK uses warmups as sd. Instead of silly jumping jacks and arm waving they use pointy finger strike reps in all directions and shrimping and guard to side to mount reversals, on the hard hard floor. In that atmosphere sd becomes "muscle memory;" every workout starts with sd as warmups and continues with sd applications, with compliant then and increasing resistance and sparring.

I know two local girls who were attacked and weren't raped or killed. One teenager was doubled over from a punch to the gut and managed to come up with a hard groin kick that dropped the guy and she ran to the nearest house and 911'd him right to jail. My daughter was frontally grabbed and used inward block / reverse punch (while screaming). One trained Kajukenbo and one trained Kyushin-ryu and the training from both styles saved them.

The best thing about her shodan in Okinawan karate was the instillation of the idea of personal space. After years of training one learns that someone is allowed in your space only with permission and an intruder is dealt with quickly.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 10/25/2009 11:05pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2009 3:48pm

Style: Boxing/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    I like the Universal Kempo attitude about self defense. It's everything. Same in Kaju's KSDI. UK uses warmups as sd. Instead of silly jumping jacks and arm waving they use pointy finger strike reps in all directions and shrimping and guard to side to mount reversals, on the hard hard floor. In that atmosphere sd becomes "muscle memory;" every workout starts with sd as warmups and continues with sd applications, with compliant then and increasing resistance and sparring.

I know two local girls who were attacked and weren't raped or killed. One teenager was doubled over from a punch to the gut and managed to come up with a hard groin kick that dropped the guy and she ran to the nearest house and 911'd him right to jail. My daughter was frontally grabbed and used inward block / reverse punch (while screaming). One trained Kajukenbo and one trained Kyushin-ryu and the training from both styles saved them.

The best thing about her shodan in Okinawan karate was the instillation of the idea of personal space. After years of training one learns that someone is allowed in your space only with permission and an intruder is dealt with quickly.
    Obviously, this is a WONDERFUL life-saving exemple of how martial arts training CAN be useful to defend yourself against rapist and such. The idea is not to stand there and trade blows, it's to connect just enough to create an opening for an escape. And, of course, the harder you can hit them, the more time you can buy. It's not weither or not I will KO my assailant , it's hitting hard enough to cause decent damage in the fewest blows possible, and then run. :glasses1:
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011