Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 8:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Michael Perry full of crap?

I need everyone's help. At the martial arts school I work at, we teach philippine stick fighting (kali, escrima, arnis, whatever u wanna call it). When we first started implimenting this art into our school, we started in peketi tirsia kali with a guy named Michael Perry. He was definatly a wierd guy. His biggest personality type was arrogant. In teaching, he claimed to teach all kinds of European armies, as well as being black belts in various arts.

As time went on, he would do some seminars in our school, but it was always the same. Even in private lessons, he repeated the same stuff. So, the thought popped into my mind that maybe we're not so bad that he won't teach us more. Mayabe he ran out of stuff to teach and doesn't know as much as he says.

So, I wanna know first if anyone else has trained with him at all. Second, if anyone knows how to do some serious research, could you help me out? It's hard not to notice how full of crap this guy is.

He used to have a website called www.wanderingguru.com. That may be a good place to start. Thanks for your help.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 8:40pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I understand, Mike Perry is actually Sina-tirsia-wali, which is Greg Alland's group, which has roots in pekiti-tirsia and related styles but is really it's own beast. I can't really say I've been too impressed with anything out of Sina-tirsia-wali but what I've seen of Mike has impressed me a little more than what I usually see from that group.

He is supposed to be a big draw for that group with his seminars, but he seems to get a lot of complaints as well, regarding safety and some of the other issues you mentioned above.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2009 9:43pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The website is very very vague and reads like that of a military wanna be.

Michael Perry has been teaching since 1992 and is considered to be one of the best stick fighters in the world and has the ability to pass that skill on to others faster than any other instructor.

Michael has fought over 150 full-contact matches in over 13 countries and has established schools in each one of them. Michael's teaching experience is not limited to commercial martial arts schools. He has worked with Elite Forces throughout El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. Michael has trained others who have in turn taught and developed these skills within their own units. He is well known throughout Military and Law Enforcement and is well liked. He considers it an honor to work with them and a way to serve his country, regularly training members of Marine Amphibious Recon, Navy Seals, Army Rangers and SWAT.
    These are all vague, unverifiable for the most part, meaning less statements used to disguise lack of actual acheivment.

From what is seen on the site, I would call highly suspect.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 12:00am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Michael Perry has been teaching since 1992 and is adequate, but not as good as he thinks he is. He can inflate your ego, too.

Michael has fought over 150 times with his girlfriend in 13 countries and has built schools with the Peace Corps. Michael's teaching experience is not limited to commercial martial arts schools, but rather commercial martial arts textbooks. He has worked with random people throughout El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala. Michael has trained others who have in turn taught and developed these skills within their own drunk ass friends at happy hour. He is probably not known throughout Military and Law Enforcement and his mommy loves him. He considers it an honor to have a Marines bumper sticker on the back of his truck, regularly trains meatheads, 14 year olds, and soccor moms
    90% of the time, that^ is how the passage from his website would translate.

Posted On:
    6/28/2009 6:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
    90% of the time, that^ is how the passage from his website would translate.
    haha Bravo! Bravo!

I tell ya these days when you have a slick slick web site with a slick pretty boy set of pics that were taken by some modeling agency etc etc etc, its a dead giveaway... Filipino stick fighters that have been in 50 fights (150 haha right perry) usually have a few missing teeth, are not nearly as pretty to look at as this guy (is he a guy or a girl?) and probably do not have the need to be as boastful.

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jeet Kune Do, Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have personally trained with michael perry, and i can tell you, he knows his stuff. He wasn't arrogant and didn't mention any stuff like training SOF, but i wouldn't doubt that hes capable of it. He beats my Instructor, and he [my instructor] is The best jkd coach i know.
    it also interests me that none of the other commentators have Kali in their martial arts resume...
    and Mike DID live in europe for several years
    In the end, all that really matters is that what he teaches (at least what I got) is very effective in self defense and combat
    ps: who YOU callin' the SEALs 14 year old boys? you haven't trained with him, so i kindly ask that you don't stick your nose in buisness you have no experience in.
    and yea, he IS one of the best in the world

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 3:35am

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by machdude View Post
    I have personally trained with michael perry, and i can tell you, he knows his stuff. He wasn't arrogant and didn't mention any stuff like training SOF, but i wouldn't doubt that hes capable of it. He beats my Instructor, and he [my instructor] is The best jkd coach i know.
    it also interests me that none of the other commentators have Kali in their martial arts resume...
    and Mike DID live in europe for several years
    In the end, all that really matters is that what he teaches (at least what I got) is very effective in self defense and combat
    ps: who YOU callin' the SEALs 14 year old boys? you haven't trained with him, so i kindly ask that you don't stick your nose in buisness you have no experience in.
    Hi there. I see you don't name your instructor, or your experience in JKD or FMA. So we have no context to draw from when you give your references.

Additionally
    You have 1 post on this entire forum.
    if I was pessimistic. I'd say you were Perry himself or one of his instructors/students.

incidentally,
    I'm pretty much a bit of a FMA whore around these parts
    and I concur with the others whose competence in FMA you question that his website and his claims throw up many red flags.

If you wouldn't mind, please elaborate on his specific credentials and length of time with specifics to names, systems, etc.

also why don't you introduce yourself formally by letting us know about yours.

and as I'm asking for yours. I suppose it's fair I state mine.
    My experience is simply that I've been training primarily FMA (read: Kali/Arnis/Escrima) on and off for 6 years. (probably 4 years of actual consistent training with long hiatuses at times) with Thai Boxing and Judo on the side.

I'll be following up with the results of my own research in a bit when time permits and itd be expedient to vet your claims at the same time.
    Last edited by variance; 7/28/2009 3:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2009 10:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ps: who YOU callin' the SEALs 14 year old boys?
    I'll assume this is directed at me, although after re-reading what was posted, the only person to call the SEALs 14 year old boys was you. So yeah, who are you to call them that?

you haven't trained with him, so i kindly ask that you don't stick your nose in buisness you have no experience in.

1.) Read the thread "Bullshidoka Arguments". The first argument answers your question in part.

2.) The rest of your question could be answered here:

Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    Filipino stick fighters that have been in 50 fights (150 haha right perry) usually have a few missing teeth, are not nearly as pretty to look at as this guy (is he a guy or a girl?) and probably do not have the need to be as boastful.
    Seeing a self-proclaimed Filipino stick fighter who has a face that doesn't look like it's ever been hit with a stick is akin to seeing a self-proclaimed Savate fighter who trains bare-footed.

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 12:37pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started my FMA training in, uh 1992 or so, and I agree with the other comments posted.

I'm sure that's what he'd tell us if we asked him. But, thankfully, we have you here to do that for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2009 2:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's one more concern I have with the 150 stick** fights claim (And of course, for those who do FMA, correct me if I'm wrong): Let's play along with him and assume his face somehow isn't mush (because he is, in fact, one of the best on Earth). In that case, how badly does this guy slur? How much does this guy limp? Is he addicted to painkillers? Which ones?

And no, I'm not slandering or mocking him, I'm dead seriously asking these questions because I've seen that stuff from far fewer bouts. Riddick Bowe can barely talk anymore from all the shots to the head he's taken. For that matter, I remember reading a study (I'll try to find a link to it) that showed how much damage the brain takes from studying boxers who had only 20 professional matches. We've all heard horror stories about ex-competitors from sports like hockey and football who were addicted to painkillers because of the damage their sports caused their bodies (Favre, anyone?).

Notice, too, that these sports have far greater protective measures than stick fights. The NHL and NFL have pads and/or braces for every part of the body. Boxers wear 12 oz padded gloves when fighting. So, as far as I'm concerned, the fact that this guy's even alive and well enough to keep training is proof that his competition experience is, at best, greatly exaggerated, and, at worst, a straight up lie.

**Edit: Okay, he technically didn't claim all his fights were stick fights (or any of them, for that matter). Still, as I have already discussed, 150 full contact fights in ANY style will take its toll on you.
    Last edited by Lysol; 7/29/2009 2:35pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast