Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 10:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shin-Shin Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I've only been training for about 3 months. But my gym won't let you spar until after 2 months... So definitely not long.

Libertad: VERY NICE. Props for the link.

And I understand that I'm going to get hit in the face, I don't mind that. At least not too much... I just wanted to be able to fight back better than I am as soon as possible.

Posted On:
    10/11/2009 10:27pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An extention of what Emevas said.

Concentrate on keeping that guard perfect at all times while hitting pads, ask your partner to hit you in the head with a pad everytime you drop a hand. The only way to make something a habit is to repeat it over and over again. if 90% of your training time (hitting pads/bags/shadow boxing) is spent not keeping your guard religiously, of course you are not going to be able to keep your hands up in sparring.

There are no shortcuts, small habitual gains will take months of solid work to become ingrained.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 5:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use to have this problem when i first started amateur boxing. So my coach started keeping count of everytime i'd drop my hands (through sparring, hitting the bag, etc) and whatever the count was at the end of the day was how many laps i had to run around the gym (8 laps was a mile). I remember one day i had to run 18 laps after our practice which had already included a 3 mile run...So if you can, have a coach or training partner count for you. It'll work trust me. I dropped that bad habbit faster than the heavyweights on TUF drop their hands during the 2nd round lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:04pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd also be careful if you start doing the head tap. Granted, it's better to at least have it there for that second, but a lot of people do it and then drop their hands low again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 8:27am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An old MT instructor had me shadowbox with one hand glued to my head...for example throwing a left jab and left hook with my right hand permanently on my head...this worked pretty well for me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 10:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely go with the punishment option.
    If you are padding with a partner just get him to smack you if your gloves drop.
    If you are training solo, pick your most dreaded exercise and assign enough reps of it to hurt you each time you catch yourself with your gloves down.
    You can either drop and do them straight away - burpees say, add them up at the end of the round and take them out of your rest period before the next one, or count them all up and punish yourself at the end - say with incline sprints on the treadmill - 1 min round (or 3 min if you can take it) for each tiime you caught yourself with no guard.
    Basically there needs to be something immediate at stake that will hurt more than holding your arms up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 12:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people have a bad guard when they begin training, dont stress. Once you get stung a few times you will be amazed at how much your guard improves in a short period of time.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    12/11/2009 4:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the slap round the head with the pads is the best option for gettin a guy to keep his hands up. When it gets done to me it definitely wakes me the **** up lol

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/11/2009 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can incorporate the head tap thing into your bag work as well..this is what we used to do with the short fist crew:
    Do your regular Heavy bag work and have one of your training partners stand behind the bag (if its on a mount, or beside it, whatever) decide on a few combos you want to work and have your partner throw some light, looping hooks to either side of your head after you do a combo that will help you get in the habit of returning your hands to guard position.
    It all just takes time. Good luck.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/11/2009 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i always do what ui call "facetouch"

pretty basic, your hand comes back to your face after you throw a punch and touches your cheek. and if it doesnt i hit them with the pads and shout FACETOUCH
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12