Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    The idea for a ranking system of mma practitioners is primarily to allow for identification of skill.
    That's what a fight record is for.

Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    How many different instructors does anyone have. How many does GSP have? Minimal complete MMA skillsets require grappling (wresting and/or some jits), striking and throwing.

So:

So say your core consists of :
    MT, Wrestling, Jits and judo.

There are levels of technique and skill that can be divided up into progressive skillset module within each art (and thus ranked by a belt or hello kitty patch).

To get any ranking for the MMA you would have to meet a minimal skillset criteria for each art.

and MMA rank progression might be something like:

apprentice, journeyman, scholar, professor.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 12:53pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TEM, I agree with you with regards to fighters. Belt level or rank is meaningless if you cant deliver.

How many fighters actually study and train in more than one style? My limited experience is that most have one primary style (may be two) where they have any high level rank and incorporate other style techniques into their fight game.

Many people appear to be reading too much into my posts. They were answers to a slightly larger question than "should MMA have belt rankings." Still in context, just a larger view.

Dude this thread should die. I responded because it was you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 1:57pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho View Post

I just realized the poster was a part of the reply and not a sig. That is an awesome poster and very relevant to the thread. For the record, I was playing devil's advocate.

If you have some specific questions regarding individual posts, PM me. In a larger context they may make more sense. Or not.

Posted On:
    10/31/2009 5:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    A black belt doesn't mean anything other than someone died your belt really dark and that's why you bought it.

That, and whatever importance or value you yourself place on it.
    being unable to spell the word "dyed" doesn't mean anything other than someone does not know how to spell, and is pontificating about the MA when they have taken 8 months of Judo.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 3:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't need any months of anything to realize that.

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I love how these belt questions get debated so much! It shows you how brain washed we are by Hollywood. We are all grown adults and most of us have years of martial arts training. But for some reason, we are still able to dismiss all logic and say, "your only good if you have a black belt". I mean seriously!!

If the belt is your only motivation, the GTFO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 2:17pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke View Post
    Man, I love how these belt questions get debated so much! It shows you how brain washed we are by Hollywood. We are all grown adults and most of us have years of martial arts training. But for some reason, we are still able to dismiss all logic and say, "your only good if you have a black belt". I mean seriously!!

If the belt is your only motivation, the GTFO!
    To be fair, a good portion of this site's posters are not legal adults. And as Sirc has pointed out, in his normal hissyfit way, many posters have quite a bit less than a year in a style that they claim knowledge of
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789