Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 8:45am

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rordogs View Post
    you guys just got trolled.
    The posting history of OP might indicate that. But even then it's good to have to defend your own position from time to time.

A belt system would go against the raison d'Ítre of MMA - figuring out what works best inside a set of rules.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 9:36am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
    A belt system would go against the raison d'Ítre of MMA - figuring out what works best inside a set of rules.
    While disliking the idea of a belt system for MMA, and it would be a rule set, there would have to be some structure and organizational support, plus people willing to pay and participate.

I think this has been discussed before but:

What styles/arts would be included? Wrestling(including no gi grappling), BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, pick your fav art here. Core competencies, electives?

In addition to learning the core, a student would have to integrate the movements of each core art into a working whole.

How about making the ranking system into a college type course of study? There are required core arts and after meeting the core arts levels and achieving a ranked competency in each and passing a integrated skills test belt ranking (ie, the MMA belt ranking), one would move on to specialize as it fits your personal abilities for stipes or hello kitty patches. A student would end up with a set or core competencies and then be able to add elective arts to the mix and add to the MMA belt ranking over time. This approach would allow any art to be added so as to maintain the MMA status.

edited for typos

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 11:20am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA and belts? for what? The guy that wins gets paid. maybe a moneybelt would work.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Add me to the "**** no" list. Grading system? Getting in a fucking cage or ring and putting your ass on the line is the ultimate test. What more grading system than a fighting record?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 12:01pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaeHan View Post
    Add me to the "**** no" list. Grading system? Getting in a fucking cage or ring and putting your ass on the line is the ultimate test. What more grading system than a fighting record?
    You could say the same about BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 12:09pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forget who said it first, but the outcome from this would be a number of new yet similar "styles". Once the cores and any electives were integrated and made (as reasonable practical) seamless in competition/practice a new "art" would exist.

Not saying it should, but a devil's advocate has to do something.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 12:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by galois View Post
    You could say the same about BJJ.
    No, BJJ has a grading system. Period.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 1:40pm

Style: None, but looking.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    I forget who said it first, but the outcome from this would be a number of new yet similar "styles". Once the cores and any electives were integrated and made (as reasonable practical) seamless in competition/practice a new "art" would exist.

Not saying it should, but a devil's advocate has to do something.
    Also: The black belt is supposed to be an intermediate level - i.e. the black belt has mastered all the basics and can now start the journey for real. But since every Dick and Jane and MCMAP instructor thinks that a black belt symbolizes some kind of mastery, it's an uphill battle.

However, if I founded a martial arts system, I would do the opposite. Black belts for the beginners and lighter and lighter belts until white to symbolize how the student is leaving weakness and ignorance behind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
    Also: The black belt is supposed to be an intermediate level - i.e. the black belt has mastered all the basics and can now start the journey for real. But since every Dick and Jane and MCMAP instructor thinks that a black belt symbolizes some kind of mastery, it's an uphill battle.
    i think most tma's have that view of black belt, but a bjj blackbelt is that kind of master, while a bjj blue belt, or purple, has the basics down. and lol at the mcmap reference.

However, if I founded a martial arts system, I would do the opposite. Black belts for the beginners and lighter and lighter belts until white to symbolize how the student is leaving weakness and ignorance behind.
    interesting idea, but would you include the camoflauge belts, the multi colored belts, and the sashes?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 3:36pm

Style: MT and judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaeHan View Post
    No, BJJ has a grading system. Period.
    How do you feel about this fact?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast