Posted On:
    2/04/2004 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by J-Lau
    Illegal moves in what?

Dont ask an open ended question and expect people to go research what style you are talking about, what moves arent allowed, and then go and search out pictures and descriptions. Do some looking on your own, you can find anything with google.
    Ah, perhaps I was not clear initially. I'm looking for moves illegal in Judo that have to do with locking the body. Since an orange belt was able to rattle a few off last night I figured the list of illegal techniques and general descriptions and reasons would be common knowledge to all the Judo people here.

I apologize for snapping.

game dog

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is and isn't illegal in judo is sometimes a heated debate here (and I'll probably reignite it tomorrow ;-) ) But yes, squeezing the body between the legs is illegal. Beyond that, anything that attacks the spine is strictly speaking not allowed (interpretations vary).
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

game dog

Posted On:
    2/04/2004 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you google for official tournament rules?
    http://www.csn.ul.ie/~judo/main/rules.html#27
    (took some 10 seconds)
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 2:45pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to raise this thread, but for an awesome dojime entry go to www.subfighter.com

Then go to the lefthand side where it says Video Techniques and click on "guard."

Then click on "submissions."

Then click on the "rib or body crush from the closed guard."

Gnarly pressure.
    Last edited by mikus; 2/22/2004 4:16am at .
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 1:41am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that is located under "submissions", not "sweeps".
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/22/2004 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KTKid,

Its do Jime. NOT SHIME. You add tang-tangs to the kana when it is proceeded by another.:D
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 1:30pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is a"Body Lock" in Judo legal ?

I was role the other day in class and I got the back of my opponent. I then proceeded to get the body lock when he turned over. While I was doing this my oponent complained that "you cant do that" along with some other random whining, so while I was still holding it I asked the instructor if it was legal at a competition. He stated that you cant do any spine locks or anything of that sorts, and I countered with it was for strangulation and control and i was not arching or trying to arch his back. He then blew it off and didnt really hav any answer so I think the guy I was rollign with was kinda being a whiner, and I didnt want bad blood so I let it go.

Question ... is this a legal Judo move? If not what can I change of the move to make it legal as I like to use it for control in the back mounT.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 1:55pm

Style: judo, wrestling, bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're just using a wrestling-style body lock? ie, arms go around, clasp hands and squeeze?

Under IJF rules it's a major penalty to "make any action which may endanger or injure the opponent especially the opponent's neck or spinal vertebrae, or may be against the spirit of Judo."

http://www.ijf.org/rule/rule_referee.php?, Rule 27(b)(30). I assume other feds have similar rules.

I've seen some refs call what you're doing, I've seen some refs (often, it seems, the ones who have some experience in another style) let it go. It's probably safest to ask an official to clarify. In my class they're fine but my judo instructor's also a BJJ purple belt and we do more ne waza than most judoka.

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 2:01pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess let me explain as there might be confusion as to what I mean by body lock. Think of the Ivan Saliverry fight against tony Fryklund. sort like doing a triangle choke on someones stomach from the rear mount. most people wont tap from this unless there really tired but it does suck some life out of you and it keeps them from bridging and rolling over to get back to my guard.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/08/2006 2:51pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think "body scissors" with the legs are illegal in Judo, and this might be close to the figure 4 body lock.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast