Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 8:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, SubGrappling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Do bare fists make the boxing tuck and cover ineffective

I hear around many circles that a barefist fight will make the tuck and cover used in boxing ineffective. Do boxing gloves make it more effective to do a tuck and cover as opposed to the way most TMAs block? Could I still do a tuck and cover with bare fists.
    Last edited by Matt_Werk; 10/07/2009 8:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 10:44pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No way, if you block a strong kick or punch you might break your forearms better to take it on the chin.

But seriously, keep your hands up and chin down. It's generally more natural and faster to throw punches from there, easier to parry punches coming in, and it gives you some cover if all else fails. Big exaggerated blocks are just gonna get you ktfo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:12pm

Style: Shitoryu Karate and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think it's AS effective as with the gloves on.... afterall the gloves cover up more space, and soften the impacts a little more. But it's still more effective than getting smacked in the face.

....I won't touch the TMA blocking. I've found that both have worked for me in the few scraps I have gotten into, but I'm just not going to touch it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:16pm

Style: Cage Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could try covering with your forearms instead of the back of your hand. But that said, if you listen to the poster above and keep your chin down and hands up, there's a fair chance the guy will just hit your forehead and possibly hurt himself. Plus, that area of your skull is pretty thick, so you should be fine.

That said, you should rely more on footwork, headmovement, and parrying than blocking. And if you are going to block/cover, do it with your forearms.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/07/2009 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gloves absorb more impact, but the opponent has bigger gloves too, so it increases the likelihood of hitting. No gloves = smaller fists. Basically, it all equals out.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:13am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're talking about shelling up, I'd only ever do that if you were trying to bait something. It's not a great way to defend, gloves or not.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:20am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    No way, if you block a strong kick or punch you might break your forearms better to take it on the chin.

1. - Break your forearms? I guess its possible if Cro-cops throwing some wild high kicks at your head.....

2. - Take it on the chin? This is defiantly the best method if you are in indeed looking to recieve the quick knockout so you wont be awake to feel the effects of the skull crushing until you wake up in intensive care 2 months later shitting through a tube......

Aoart from that....Great advice....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the situation ever arises when you find yourself in a bare knuckle fight dont stand and bang......Close the distance, go to the clinch, front kick them away, shoot for a leg, ANY option avaliable to you then trading wild punches.....

Or just king hit them before they turn around......Quite a popular technique in Oz....

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    king hit (n)
    1. The most hardcore, damage-maximising, chronicly solid punch that can be thrown. Send's the aggressor off balance if it doesn't hit the intended target.
    2. A Very Very large sized bong of cannabis.

Is this the king hit we're talking about? I think we just call them haymakers over here.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 12:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    king hit (n)
    1. The most hardcore, damage-maximising, chronicly solid punch that can be thrown. Send's the aggressor off balance if it doesn't hit the intended target.
    FTFY.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast