Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 8:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I kept my Instructor contract. Granted it is now three years old. All I'll say is, whether he is guilty of rape or not he is a certified hypocrite.

Yes, If Need be I can prove it with his guilty plea and my old instructor contract. The alleged incident happened while my old contract was in effect.

Pulling mount since '09

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 8:18pm

Style: jits da variedade brasile

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, I kept my Instructor contract. Granted it is now three years old. All I'll say is, whether he is guilty of rape or not he is a certified hypocrite.

Yes, If Need be I can prove it with his guilty plea and my old instructor contract. The alleged incident happened while my old contract was in effect.
    I'm curious as to if you've written down your experiences with the Shaolin-do org and people, maybe in a thread or series of posts anywhere?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2009 8:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
    I'm curious as to if you've written down your experiences with the Shaolin-do org and people, maybe in a thread or series of posts anywhere?
    Yes and no. I was writing an article on my experiences then stopped. I realized it didn't really matter. It seemed more like sour grapes.

Four almost five years later I just post in the threads. I enjoyd my initial teacher and my early classmates so, I speak out against the bullshit but, could careless about the other main drama.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 12:34am

Style: Kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by artard View Post
    Apparently there has been heaps of drama around the schools recently and long-time students getting kicked out left and right and starting their own independent practice groups. I have no idea if the average student knows about the legal stuff though or how it's affecting business.
    The Phoenix school instructors were apparently sent a letter from GMT kicking them out of the art and revoking their authorization to teach the art or use GMT's likeness or name in any way, or even have any further contact with any students. (As this was not a legal letter that last item is obviously completely unenforceable) This letter is reported to have been sent to all the instructors under GMT, (not just the CSC's), but I have not been able to validate that as of yet (perhaps someone else here can).

The same sort of "kicking out" was also apparently done to several higher ranking students who testified in the trial against David Soard. To my knowledge none of the Phoenix students besides the instructors were "kicked out". However a 3rd black was sent down to the Phoenix area to open a new school, and it could be supposed that the hope is that he would get the students from the existing school.

The average students are, from some reports, being told various variations of events, but the internet definitely has let information spread more freely than otherwise may have been possible previously.

In other news, there was a letter delivered to the Soards from 9 of the various CSC's disassociating themselves from the Soards.

It is important to note that the CSC schools aside from Denver and Boulder are independently owned and run businesses of their respective instructors, and not franchises as some have supposed. The Soards tend to treat them as franchises for purposes of dictating what is taught, and business decisions, however for the sake of the training festivals they are paid on a sort of contract basis by the local school.

I point this out to make clear that there is a definite distinction between the schools although they have previously been associated pretty closely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Additional news articles

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 7:52am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krsd View Post
    The Phoenix school instructors were apparently sent a letter from GMT kicking them out of the art and revoking their authorization to teach the art or use GMT's likeness or name in any way, or even have any further contact with any students. (As this was not a legal letter that last item is obviously completely unenforceable) This letter is reported to have been sent to all the instructors under GMT, (not just the CSC's), but I have not been able to validate that as of yet (perhaps someone else here can).
    Same thing I heard.

The same sort of "kicking out" was also apparently done to several higher ranking students who testified in the trial against David Soard. To my knowledge none of the Phoenix students besides the instructors were "kicked out". However a 3rd black was sent down to the Phoenix area to open a new school, and it could be supposed that the hope is that he would get the students from the existing school.
    Why I have called them cult/cult like.

The average students are, from some reports, being told various variations of events, but the internet definitely has let information spread more freely than otherwise may have been possible previously.
    Same as above.

It is important to note that the CSC schools aside from Denver and Boulder are independently owned and run businesses of their respective instructors, and not franchises as some have supposed. The Soards tend to treat them as franchises for purposes of dictating what is taught, and business decisions, however for the sake of the training festivals they are paid on a sort of contract basis by the local school.
    Through the poor contracts, at least through 2006, they were Franchise. The Soards did it in a sneaky way but, you still paid them money in a specific fashion to use the CSC name. That's part of franchising. They also used to help and actually took over payments for some schools. The instructors finally started getting smart and purchasing their own schools in the last 5 or so years. So, you may be correct now but, for twenty years, it was a franchise.

This was not a misconception.

I point this out to make clear that there is a definite distinction between the schools although they have previously been associated pretty closely.
    Yes, this will hopefully be a good thing for the instructors.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2009 2:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Through the poor contracts, at least through 2006, they were Franchise. The Soards did it in a sneaky way but, you still paid them money in a specific fashion to use the CSC name. That's part of franchising. They also used to help and actually took over payments for some schools. The instructors finally started getting smart and purchasing their own schools in the last 5 or so years. So, you may be correct now but, for twenty years, it was a franchise.

This was not a misconception.

Yes, this will hopefully be a good thing for the instructors.
    I did not mean to say that it was a misconception as to how things were done, just as to the current state of things.

I have since confirmed that the letter sent to the Phoenix instructors was widely distributed (how widely I don't know) and can not at this point be considered a private message.

Here is a link to the pdf and the text is recreated below for easy access:
    (note: I did block out the personal home address of the instructors that was displayed in the letter as a courtesy)

-----------------------------------------------
    Jacob Rydberg
    Laura Adams
    [personal address blocked out]

1200 West University Dr., Suite 101
    Tempe, Arizona
    (480) 894-8588
    www.ShaolinArizona.com

Jacob and Laura,

This letter is to inform you, that as of August 26th, 2009 your priviledge to teach the Shao-Lin Art (the Art), and any further participation within the Art in any capacity is hereby revoked.

As the current GrandMaster of Shao-Lin, I withdraw your permission to teach the Art, the forms and movements within the Art copyrighted by me.

I also withdraw your use of any likeness of me, any reference to me on your website, flyers, brochures, publications, etc.

If you continue to use the art, forms, techniques, material or trade secrets, graphics or images relating to the Shao-Lin Art, I will pursue legal action to ensure that you cease and desist.

I hope this letter is perfectly clear that you are to discontinue all use of the Art of Shao-Lin and my name and images. Also cease all contact with me and any of my certified, affiliated schools and instructors.

This will be the last form of contact you will receive from me personally.

Sincerely,
    [signature]
    GrandMaster Sin Kwang The'
    -----------------------------------------------

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2009 6:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CSC Disassociation Letter

Also For refference sake here is a copy of the letter delivered to the Soards from several of the independent Chinese Shaolin Centers to disassociate themselves from the Soards and take a stance against the recent issues:
    ------------------------------------------
    Elder Masters David and Sharon Soard,

This letter is to inform you that we, a group of concerned instructors, are disassociating from the Chinese Shao-Lin Centers. It is with sadness that we have witnessed the dissolution of a community that all of us have cared for deeply, but we feel that the recent legal charges against Elder Master David and your business practices with the coalition of schools leave us with no other viable option.

We see loyalty to the principles of Shaolin and loyalty to individual instructors as two different things that often, but do not always, coincide. Our primary interest is to uphold the values of the art of Shaolin Kung Fu as we transmit it to another generation, which we believe your actions have compromised our ability to do. Based on the mutlitple charges of non-consensual sexual contact against Elder Master David, as well as business practices such as a lack of openly addressing serious issues in your organization and required visit hosting with an unsustainable financial model for the hosting schools, we believe we have no choice but to cease our relationship with your system of schools in order to maintain our integrity and the sustainability of our schools.

We are forming an alliance of independent Shaolin Centers. We will no longer be financially or otherwise supporting the CSC system and will no longer host Elder Master visits. Please remove us from your Chinese Shao-Lin Center websites. We will be deleting the names of the Chinese Shao-Lin Centers under your management presently.

This choice was not easy to make. Your instruction and our involvement with the CSCs has been a positive influence in all our lives. Our actions are not motivated by any malice toward you, but by our passion to preserve the true spirit of Shaolin and improve the development of both ours and future generations' quality of training and skill. Studying Shaolin is not about becoming living encyclopedias of Shaolin material, it is about developing as human beings. As we add stripes to our belts, we are also striving to add honesty, courage, generosity, patience, humility, compassion and a calm decisiveness in the face of challenge to the way we relate to our communities. To us, this is the true, balanced aim of our training, and one which we are excercising in this decision to separate from your system of schools.

Sincerely,

Master John Keller
    Head Instructor Boise, ID Shaolin Center

Thad Wong
    Head Instructor New York, NY Shaolin Center

Russ Lesko
    Head Instructor Caldwell, ID Shaolin Center

Joe Wieland
    Head Instructor Portland, OR Shaolin Center

Chris Peterson
    Head Instructor Emmet, ID Shaolin Center

Associate Master Matt Small
    Head Instructor Las Vegas, NV Shaolin Center

Laura Adams
    Jacob Rydberg
    Head Instructors Phoenix/Tempe, AZ Shaolin Center

Sarah Yoffe
    Head Instructor Seattle, WA Shaolin Center

Chris Zurich
    Head Instructor San Jose, CA Shaolin Center

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2009 8:43am

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Persoanlly, I think this is a bunch of crap. As has been hashed and rehashed time and again, The' is not "the" GM. Apparently, there are sevral that make the same claim. All Shaolin, or just Shao-lin? Shaolin Do, Shaolin Ryu, Shaolin Kung Fu? This is ridiculous. Yeah, I was a member of the Kool Aid Do gang for quite a while and I learned some good things and some not so good things. But I had cross trained fromway back and continue to do so today. Okay, so he booted a couple folks. Who cares? IT is not like they do not have MA skills or cannot continue to train. GMT can say my rank is rescinded and it doesn't change what I know. Congratulations to those that are finally released from the yoke they were under with the SDA.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast