Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember some of that back then, like the 'save the prairie dogs' and 'circus's are evil' speeches. I'm actually an animal welfare supporter, but not to the degree where I think we need to save prairie dog habitats. And if got any weirder, which it sounds like it did, then I would not want to train there. The worst part for me was when they would lecture on and on about stuff you had heard them talk about dozens of times before. And it was mostly stupid stories that had nothing to do with training.

Maybe that was what part of the power-trip/ego-inflating thing that led to the current state of affairs. They had total control over their audience, and they could say whatever they wanted, and eventually what they were saying became less about martial arts and more about their personal opinions.

All that said, though, I still have some great memories from that place and still use some of what I learned. Like breathing techniques and some of the I-Chin-Ching postures. Just wish I could remember Chen Tai Chi. If I could find a place that taught that and had Tai Chi sparring, I would be a happy man.

Posted On:
    3/04/2011 7:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very sad event, and when in a position of authority one must not take advantage of others more vulnerable, this is why ethics in the MA is so important

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/18/2011 12:21pm

Style: Kungfu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grunlowen View Post
    The worst part for me was when they would lecture on and on about stuff you had heard them talk about dozens of times before. And it was mostly stupid stories that had nothing to do with training.
    It definitely got worse with time. I went to several festivals where "Story Hour" took such a precedence that by the end of the actual form training it was too dark to see what was being taught, and people pretty much just gave up. This eventually seemed to lead to the testing being the day before so that they could "start the festival earlier" the following day, but that deteriorated pretty quickly to late starts and long lunches so that the same situation was happening. Application of the form was almost never taught, and when it was it tended to be very repetitive of the applications taught in every other form, or entirely generic "cut them this way" or "hit them here".

That said, I liked hearing anecdotal/"historical" stories pertinent to the form, but very often it was stories about how someone did something in some sparring match years ago... Guess it is easier to wax poetic than to actually teach a martial art/form and get questions about how to use it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/11/2014 9:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going too start another thread, but this fits nicely in this one.

Today, I was contacted by a friend and former student asking if Sin The had kicked out the Soards. I told him about the coercion/assault/affair scandal in recent years and how the schools went from 20+ programs, including rec and college programs, to 5 or 6.

So, I went to the website:
    http://www.shao-lin.com/
    All traces of Sin The have been removed.

Went to the location link:
    http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=10
    Only six schools left, the international one has been removed.

So, I next went to my favorite place:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20121010...m?CategoryID=1

As of the last snapshot, October 10, 2012, Sin The was still listed. I checked for the next update and it occurred July of 2013 and Sin The had been removed.

I am not surprised, as was mentioned in another thread, Jake Mace, formerly known as Jacob Rydeberg, was able to continue ingthe material after "Sin The" tried to sue and close the school. I was wondering how long before the Soard's, or any of the other factions, realized they could keep ALL of the money to themselves.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/12/2014 2:13am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2014 12:58pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have friends who are still training the shaolin-do curriculum over a decade later and have distanced themselves from the Soards/organization but refuse to have any sort of discussion about the legitimacy/origin/effectiveness of what they're training. It's really weird to me but kind of reminds me of the "free zone" scientology people who have completely renounced the church but accept its teachings.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2014 10:40am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strangely enough, I could not find either a photo of the Soards or a listing for their schools on the Shaolin Do site or SDA. I thought they were on there before?

Strangely enough, I could not find either a photo of the Soards or a listing for their schools on the Shaolin Do site or SDA. I thought they were on there before?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/22/2014 11:27am

Style: Kungfu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I received word today that the Soards Boulder school has been closed and there is now a sign saying they have "moved" to their existing Denver school's location. The Boulder location has also been removed from their website (http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=10).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csc_boulder_closed.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	16446
    Photo Credit: Chuck Lawhead

So they are down to:
    1. Denver, Colorado - David and Sharron Soard (8th Degree)
    2. Colorado Springs, Colorado - Tanisha Rodgers (4th Degree)
    3. Los Angeles, California - Dean Ash (4th Degree)
    4. Albuquerque, New Mexico - Abram Tamez (5th Degree) & Leslie Phillips (4th Degree)
    5. UNM Credit Courses - Abram Tamez (5th Degree)
    6. Cary, North Carolina - Mo Seyam (2nd Degree)
    7. West Valley, Utah - Chris Callado (4th Degree)
    8. Barcelona Spain - Damian Lord (3rd Degree)
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617