Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:24pm

Style: Kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by immortalmonky View Post
    No one has posted this yet but Las Vegas shaolin closed a few weeks ago and websites for it have been redirected to salt lake city school.
    It looks like the website is down, not redirecting to Salt Lake City.
    http://www.shaolinlasvegas.com/

What site did you see pointing to SLC? Because I checked several of the sites and couldn't find any that were doing so.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:25pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was redirecting there and of the Soards main website back when he first posted.

Wow, the entire website was redesigned in the last couple of weeks. There are only 5 states and Ireland listed now. When it was redirecting, all of the old school still existed on the website. That was when the Las Vegas link was redirecting to SLC. It was probably a glitch in the change.

http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=10
    Last edited by It is Fake; 1/27/2011 2:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Master Matt's Blog [http://blog.shaolinlasvegas.com/] for the school is still up, though it has not been updated since May of 2010.

I've sent out some emails though to see if I could get some more direct answers, and will post if/when I hear back.

As to the complete breakaway by the Phoenix School, I agree that it is a much healthier route in the end, and Jake has certainly embraced cross training as well as more focused training based on goals rather than series of movements.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You didn't catch my edit above.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You didn't catch my edit above.
    Likewise. :)

It would seem we are writing pretty much at the same time. I edited the previous post to account for your update.
    Last edited by krsd; 1/27/2011 2:55pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/27/2011 2:50pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by krsd View Post
    Likewise. :)
    Hunh? I answered your question and explained what happened by 12:30 you hadn't posted yet. I couldn't miss your "edit" as it wasn't created.

Posted On:
    1/31/2011 9:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting move from Jake. Did not expect that one. I live in Vegas and there is no where good to train now. Yeah Master Matt was and is a weirdo but his martial arts were good even if he was a strange teacher. The elder masters were too pushy on lifestyle and it came out through the teachers in a very ugly way.

I was in Chinese Shaolin for many years and spent alot of time with all the masters including Sin Kwan The. Sin is a good man but he is also conflicted inside. Hard to tell what mood any of the teachers may be in day to day because they let training rule their life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2011 8:10pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by littleoldme View Post

Do you really understand what this statement says about you and about Soard? Do you understand how insulting your comment is to the many men who would never dream of "groping" women (or men for that matter)?

Maybe 50% of the men in your dysfunctional little cult thank it's OK to sexually assault people, but I think you will find that in the real world things are very different.

Some men are so incredibly stupid that they seem to think that women and girls actually enjoy having our breasts and buttocks grabbed by men we do not know at all.

It is a very scary thing to turn round to see the face of the man who has just grabbed my arse to discover that he has this excited, happy look on his face as if he imagines that I am going to congratulate him for his actions or possibly even give him my phone number.

Do you really think that women think "mmm he gives really good grope"?

I'm asking because it sounds like you do think that.
    ^^^^This^^^^

I used to work with this guy who acted like this verbally and visually while he was on the job, (and I've no doubt got overly grope-y when he wasn't at work). One day, after he'd slowed the work truck down to a crawl and stared lecherously at a woman jogging or walking or whatever for like, the 5th time that day and the 50th time that month, I finally lost it. I said: "seriously, G___, has that EVER worked for you? Has that EVER translated to you getting laid when you do something creepy like that?"

Where there's smoke, there's fire, and guys who act like that, in my opinion, have gotten away with more before. You show me a guy who has a habit of groping women and acting all creepy and controlling, and I'll show you a guy who's gotten away with date rape at some point. And, no, 50% of guys do not act like that.

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 10:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh My

Wow! I am a former Boulder CSC student, and just read this entire thread. I got my black belt back in 1999, and haven't trained their since 2001. I have been seriously thinking about going back, that's why I am on the Internet (I was trying to look up the festival schedule). But now, after reading all this, I mean... DAMN! I really don't think I could train there.

My impression of the place is as follows: Pros: It was a great workout; I would occasionally get into some serious sparring matches; and the art was/is cool. Cons: There could be a weird vibe sometimes; their were a few bad apples; and the training could be inconsistent, especially when 'story time' would go on forever.

If there was a cult atmosphere, it didn't affect me. There was definitely weirdness at times, but I am super independent guy, and so I was on the outside of all that. For example, I went out for food with the Soards and 5 or 6 other students after a festival. We went to a Chinese place on 28th, and everyone orders vegetarian. There was kind of these vibe like, 'OK now, everyone order vegetarian'. I'm not a vegetarian, and I could give a F what other people want me to eat, so I order my favorite, sesame shrimp. The food comes and the table center spins so you can share dishes. I simply pulled my plate off the spin-thing and ate my shrimp. There may have been some disapproving looks and so forth, but I am not a conformist, so I just ignored them.

I could see going back and dealing with the weird vibes and stuff, because the workouts were good. Especially push-hands sparring, I really miss that. But after reading all this... DAMN!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/26/2011 11:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was most likely at that festival. You missed quite a bit in your absence. You called them vegetarians and they quickly switched to being vegan. They are the scary not cool vegans. By 2002ish you would have been expected to sit at another table or get talked about at the table until you were uncomfortable.

Almost all the instructors had become vegan by 2003-04. The atmosphere changed dramatically. Story time was replaced with vegan, I hate meat, animals are better than humans, and Christmas/Donation parties.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61213141516 17 LastLast