Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:09pm

Style: Kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Staff View Post
    In that letter the sex crimes against David were blatantly used as a bargaining tool to present a list of demands to The'. From The's actions in the mess so far I think he recognizes what is going on.
    :bssign:

That is miss-characterizing the letter quite a bit. The letter was addressed to Elder Masters David and Sharron Soard, not GM The'. Grandmaster The' was also sent a copy, I believe, so that he would not have to hear it second hand from the Soards.

Quote Originally Posted by krsd View Post
    Elder Masters David and Sharon Soard,

This letter is to inform you that we, a group of concerned instructors, are disassociating from the Chinese Shao-Lin Centers.
    There were never any demands made of GMT, and if you take the time to read it, you would see it was a statement of actions they were taking. No options or choices presented, but rather a notice of the decision they have made as small business owners and martial artists to break any ties they have with the Soards.

Saying or implying it was anything else is disingenuous and misleading.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 3:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just in case you aren't getting the point, Red Staff, the current case is the most recent incident. Did anyone notice the interesting statement the DA made?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 4:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those look to be one or two trademark registrations for "GRANDMASTER SIN KWANG THE SHAOLIN DO" and an additional copyright registration (which can of course be done for purposes of easier defense, though not required) that you have posted twice. Unfortunately your formatting makes that these are repeat posts a bit harder to figure out.

The trademark of "GRANDMASTER SIN KWANG THE SHAOLIN DO" is not a question here as no one is claiming to use that name for themselves in any way in this discussion.

Here are some other copyright registrations that have GMT's name associated with them, but are tangent to this discussion:

His book:
    The Grand master / by Sin Kwang The.
    Type of Work: Text Registration Number / Date: PAu001100692 / 1988-04-11 Title: The Grand master / by Sin Kwang The. Description: 1 v. Notes: Text. Copyright Claimant: Sin Kwang The Date of Creation: 1988
    Names: The, Sin Kwang, 1943-
    His screenplay:
    Grand Master II.
    Type of Work: Dramatic Work and Music; or Choreography Registration Number / Date: PAu001715866 / 1993-02-23 Title: Grand Master II. Notes: Screenplay. Copyright Claimant: Sin Kwang The, 1943- Date of Creation: 1992
    This last one having the most bearing on this discussion:
    Shaolin do.
    Type of Work: Dramatic Work and Music; or Choreography Registration Number / Date: PAu001493404 / 1990-08-09 Title: Shaolin do. Description: videocassette. Notes: Cataloged from appl. Copyright Claimant: Sin Kwang The Date of Creation: 1980 Authorship on Application: Sin Kwang The. Previous Registration: Martial arts movements preexisting. Basis of Claim: New Matter: selection & ordering of exercises. Copyright Note: C.O. correspondence.
    So yes, well aware of these registered copyrights, and how they may or may not apply to the discussion at hand. I am not saying, nor have I said, that there were not copyrights involved, just that they did not seem to form a basis to prevent someone else from teaching the art. It is also of interesting note that the CSC's do not use the term Shaolin Do as the name of the art, but instead just call it Shaolin Kungfu, and have done so for 30 years now. It would seem that that may dilute the copyright a bit.
    Last edited by krsd; 10/05/2009 5:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:05pm

Style: Traditional Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Just in case you aren't getting the point, Red Staff, the current case is the most recent incident. Did anyone notice the interesting statement the DA made?
    Do you mean, "Kupfner said the state agreed to reduce the charges to harassment to ensure Soard would have a permanent conviction that could not be sealed later"?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Girl View Post
    Do you mean, "Kupfner said the state agreed to reduce the charges to harassment to ensure Soard would have a permanent conviction that could not be sealed later"?
    Yep. Makes you wonder what else may be out there that no one can access.

That is a very interesting choice of words IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yep. Makes you wonder what else may be out there that no one can access.

That is a very interesting choice of words IMO.
    Agreed. This scandal only became so public thanks to the Internet. I've definitely heard that David Soard has had trouble keeping his hands to himself since over a decade now.

I also know from one of the women who was sexually assaulted by David Soard that the initial prosecuting attorney's investigator said Soard's MO was *classic* as far as sexual assault cases were concerned.

So the DA probably expects this to come up again, as, unfortunately, do I.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for clearing up Red Staff's ramblings! I didn't know WTF he was talking about! It's like listening to Rush Limbaugh, I swear!
    :bssign:
    That is miss-characterizing the letter quite a bit. The letter was addressed to Elder Masters David and Sharron Soard, not GM The'. Grandmaster The' was also sent a copy, I believe, so that he would not have to hear it second hand from the Soards.

There were never any demands made of GMT, and if you take the time to read it, you would see it was a statement of actions they were taking. No options or choices presented, but rather a notice of the decision they have made as small business owners and martial artists to break any ties they have with the Soards.

Saying or implying it was anything else is disingenuous and misleading.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 6:12pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay this is from a Colorado attorney.

http://www.lawinfoboulder.com/crimin...l_records.html

Now this is interesting and goes to what the attorney may be implying:

http://www.lawinfoboulder.com/colora...l_records.html

(II) Except as provided in subparagraph (III) of this paragraph (a), arrest or criminal records information may not be sealed if:
    (A) An offense is not charged due to a plea agreement in a separate case;
    (B) A dismissal occurs as part of a plea agreement in a separate case; or
    (C) The defendant still owes restitution, fines, court costs, late fees, or other fees ordered by the court in the case that is the subject of the petition to seal criminal records, unless the court that entered the order for restitution, fines, court costs, late fees, or other fees has vacated such order.
    Interesting isn't it?

I'd let the upset women know that, there may be a method to the DAs madness so to speak.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 2:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it makes me wonder if there might have been evidence of that being done previously. I wouldn't be surprised if the case back in January was sealed like this and the DA saw that, but couldn't use the repeat nature of the allegations due to it being sealed.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/06/2009 2:17pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually it makes me wonder if there might have been evidence of that being done previously. I wouldn't be surprised if the case back in January was sealed like this and the DA saw that, but couldn't use the repeat nature of the allegations due to it being sealed.
    You do realize that is what we are implying right? Actually, my implication is worse. The lesser charge may have been taken because, there are multiple sealed cases not just one.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 11121314 ... LastLast