Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 9:55am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    Shamrock bringing a nutritionist was dumb but at least he was a competent nutritionist. Rampage's ground coach is a guy that got outgrappled by James Irvin.
    As I recall he really wasn't a competent nutritionist and told them things that made no sense if having to consider weight. I'm sure his advice would help make you puffy. Like I said, close call.

Don't recall the Irvin fight but it looks like he's got at least one other guy there as well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    As I recall he really wasn't a competent nutritionist and told them things that made no sense if having to consider weight. I'm sure his advice would help make you puffy. Like I said, close call.
    His name was Dan Freeman. I think the complaint was that he was giving the fighters nutritional advice that would only help them if they were body builders.

Freeman, himself, was a member of Shamrock's old posse from the 90's. He was Shamrock's sparring partner for when he was preparing to fight Kimo for the first time. Like Shamrock, I guess he was just a relic from the oldschool days and didn't have a really good handle on how the game has changed.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    His name was Dan Freeman. I think the complaint was that he was giving the fighters nutritional advice that would only help them if they were body builders.
    Yeah, that's what I said.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    As for Rampage, seriously he is terrible. First, he doesn't even care enough to warm up his fighter. Second, he just ditches his fighter after the loss. And Third, his guy lost to Jiu-Jitsu so his new strategy is to "forget this passing the guard Jiu-Jitsu ****." Anyone that wins on Team Rampage will be due to pure talent and not their coaching.
    I agree completely with your first two points. However, when Rampage was talking about "forget this passing the guard Jiu-Jitsu ****", I thought he was actually making a valid point. His fighter did very little damage from side control when he could have. His attempt to pass the guard was awkward and likely unnecessary. He certainly should have softened up the other fighter more before making an attempt like that. When he lost dominant position due to the weak attempt, it was the beginning of the end. That was Rampage's point and it isn't entirely without merit.

Rampage has shown no ability to break past his self-centeredness. He seems to view everything as how it affects him and has no real concern for his fighters. I'm sure that some, and possibly all, of his guys have worked really hard to get to the point where they can be considered for a show like TUF. To end up with a coach like Rampage is a shame.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 11:26am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Between Upa and HoMo, it is becoming clear that Rampage is a relic himself. Maybe he's just an anachronism, not a prick.

Crappy coaching and a belief that bigger means better is a common thread for these two. Dumb interviews also. Large heads, small brains... Maybe all MMA dinosaurs become crappy coaches on their way to retirement.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 1:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Always be skeptical of what a "nutritionist" tells you. It isn't a protected term, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

Dietitian is the legally protected term.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at all the suckers who tuned in thinking Kimbo was going to replace Marcus this episode!!

I hope Marcus steps in a gets beaten already. The guy seems horribly out of shape and is going to get schooled.

I can't believe they brought Rampage back for a second time coaching. He was crap the first time he did it, and now he is not only advising dumb things like not passing guard, but he is being an asshole to boot. **** him.

Anaconda FTW! I love that choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 5:24pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Always be skeptical of what a "nutritionist" tells you. It isn't a protected term, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

Dietitian is the legally protected term.
    THANK YOU.

that explains all the bullshit i keep hearing about people 'going to see a nutritionist' who charges the **** outta them, and tells them things i could have in 5 minutes, or worse, tells them to follow some strange looking diet regime, which almost always ends up not working.

most people seem amazed when you tell them that if they eat low in carbs, exercise, take some vitamins, they'll lose weight and be healthy. they always expect a nutritionist to give them a magical diet based on ice-cream and gummy bears that'll have them looking like a swimsuit model in 2 weeks.

edit: oh yah, rampage sucks. i hate that i used to like his persona so much prior to his insanity lapse, and now his being a dick. geez.
    Last edited by ronaldk; 10/08/2009 5:31pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 1:51am

Style: Half-assery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This season has been looking pretty lame so far. I want to see how well Marcus manages to do though. Also, and I doubt I am alone on this, I want to see Wes Sims get beat down.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    10/09/2009 6:04am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol @ "Explode on his face." Ha ha! Decent fight, though.

I actually could see Simms mowing through all these greenhorns and ending up in the finals v. Nelson. I could see it going the other way too, since Simms is generally believed to suck. But experience can count for a lot in these situations. I mean, he is 22-12. Plus he's on a 3 fight win streak (cannot speak to the quality of his opponents) where he finished each fight with sub or KO.
    Last edited by JudOWNED; 10/09/2009 6:08am at .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast